Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest International Calls

Options
  • 04-01-2005 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I wasn't sure where to post this so please move if not appropiate.
    I'm after moving back to Ireland and I'm looking for the best price plan. The house I've moved into has no land line so mobile is the only option. I have a night owl O2 a/c at the moment but it's expensive. Most of my calls and texts are to Germany, 25c and 1.27c per min.

Anyone recommend a cheaper alternative?
    Ideally I would like to keep my number and not have a monthly bill.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

In the prepay market, Meteor is the cheapest. 50c a minute to call most places,europe, USA, and Canada. Texts 15c.

Theres also a nice budget telecom number to call that will let you call home for the price of a regular call.

Can't remember the number though. Does anyone here have it? Something like xxxx 24 25 26?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

As Steve says Meteor are the best for international calls in both the pre paid and post paid market ... you could portn your number to meteor.

Otherwise you could use a pay phone and dial Telestunt @ 1890 943 123 followed by the German number that you want to dial and get the call for local rates.
    Can't remember the number though. Does anyone here have it? Something like xxxx 24 25 26?

0818 24 25 26 - Telestunt are usually a better option than Budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Thanks,

Meteor looks the way to go, there's no payphone near where I live, think I'll get their pay later 75 option for €25 a month. International calls are 32c a min which is not too bad, beats the 1.27c that i'm currently paying!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I can't remember the details so not of much use to you, but I have seen ads from a company that does international calls from mobiles at fairly reasonable prices. Not anywhere as cheap as they would be from landlines, but somewhere in the region of 20c a minute. The price depends on which network you're calling from. Maybe that's Budget as mentioned above? If so, it seems like it's worth using them.

O2 also does 50% off international rates if you go for one of their options packages, but it's still insanely expensive per minute. And probably requires a contract if that's an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Blaster99 wrote:
    I can't remember the details so not of much use to you, but I have seen ads from a company that does international calls from mobiles at fairly reasonable prices. Not anywhere as cheap as they would be from landlines, but somewhere in the region of 20c a minute. The price depends on which network you're calling from. Maybe that's Budget as mentioned above? If so, it seems like it's worth using them.

Budget and Telestunt numbers are blocked by O2, Voda and Meteor. There are some pre paid cards that let you dial international numbers ... Again, some are blocked, some contain surcharges and the it may just be cheaper/less hassle to just pay the 32C per minute (for some destinations) up front to Meteor.
    Blaster99 wrote:
    O2 also does 50% off international rates if you go for one of their options packages, but it's still insanely expensive per minute. And probably requires a contract if that's an issue.
    You can pay O2 & Voda extra for the privilage of reducing their expensive international rates ... veen with 50% off they are as you say shockingly expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

They're not actually blocked as far as I understand, they don't have a deal with the 1890 provider. I presume the 1890-number holder pays for the call so they don't want mobile callers calling the number without getting money for it. If they had any sense they would do a similar service for mobile users so you can get cheaper international calls from mobiles, considering the number of people who don't have land lines.

It could have been a pre-paid service I was thinking of. I tried a quick Google to see if I could find it, but zippo.

Advertisement