Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a bike in the US

Options
  • 04-01-2005 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭

Ok, I've been doing quite a bit of thinking about this one and I'd like some feedback on the bits I'm unsure about.

I'm currently on a provisional bike license, though would like to have passed the test and the 2 year 33bhp restriction for 2007 sometime. I'm paying money into the SSIA every month and that will finish in 2007 also, so I'd like to use this money to buy my dream bike - a Yamaha FJR1300.

The problem is that this bike, including VRT and everything, works out at nearly €18,000, whereas in the US it goes for around $12,000, which under the current exchange rate works out at under €9,000 - quite a large difference!!

Anyway, I realise importing from Europe isn't really a good idea because the difference in price is not that much, but when the price from country to country differs by as much as half, would it be feasible?

Ideally I could buy the bike in the US and travel around for a couple of weeks on it, fly back but pay for the bike to be shipped or flown (whichever works out cheapest) back to Dublin. I'd then have to pay VAT and VRT, though I'm not fully sure how this would work out. If I do the maths this is what I get;

VRT based on engine cc = €1650
    VAT based on cost price of bike in Ireland = approx €2600
    Shipping = no idea but guess around €500
    Travel = probably cheap enough in 2007!

So in total that equals €13,750 excluding travel. That's a significant saving, leaving loads left over for new gear and whatever else I fancy, though obviously it assumes the exchange rate will be similar in 2007.

Does all that look correct?

Thanks,

Si.

Advertisement