Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB 2.0 recognition problems

• 04-01-2005 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought a new laptop and it had USB2.0. I formatted and installed XP PRO (it had home and was full of crap (IP software etc) I installed all drivers that were bundled with it and it said on CD menu that I needed SP1 or later to get USB2.0. I installed SP1 and USB2.0 worked fine. Later on I installed SP2. I don't recall checking but I'm sure it still worked ok.

I thought I had a problem with the laptop so I returned it and got a replacement. Turned out it wasn't a faulty laptop as I had same problem with replacement but managed to sort it with a download.

I did the same thing when I got the replacement,
    formatted and installed XP PRO, however, the SP2 installed on 1st laptop was the 266MB downloadable file (not upgraded through windows update) and instead of installing SP1 1st, I installed SP2 straight away. When I plug usb 2.0 device in, it says "this device can run faster" and it's not going at 2.0 speeds. I thought this may be due to the fact that I didn't install SP1 before it. I reformatted and installed XP PRO again, then I installed SP1 and then SP2. Unfortunately it still says the same thing and is still working at USB1 speeds.

I downloaded "USB2[1].0_Drivers_for_WinXP" tried to install it but it said what I am trying to install is older than what is already on PC.

So I have never actually experienced USB2.0 speeds on the replacement laptop.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

uninstall your usb drivers and then install the newly downloaded drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

SP2 includes SP1 so you don't need to install SP1 first.

I reckon its just a glitch with the USB controller drivers. Delete whats installed already from the device manager and let it reconfigure itself again. Check that there aren't newer and update drivers from the manufacturer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sounds like a problem I had when I installed an internal USB2.0 card in my machine. I went to device manager, deleted all USB ports, rebooted and reinstalled the USB ports. Works a charm now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies:)

Ok, what I did was I deleted (or uninstalled) USB things in device manager, then I installed SP2 again and that rebooted and now I have USB2.0!!! Finally! thanks again!

Was there any need to reinstall SP2 do you reckon? would it have worked the same if I had just deleted the USB tabs in device manager and rebooted do you reckon?

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I doubt you needed to reinstall SP2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I didn't delete SP2, just removed all the ports in Device Manager and reinstalled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Cool, now another thing to do with USB

I have a Playstation 2 to USB Adaptor and when I plug that in I don't get the green arrow in the taskbar to remove the usb device.

I also don't get the green little arrow to remove my ZyXEL Prestige 630 UTV CLICKSILVER modem when I connect that.

However, the arrow does appear when I connect my iRiver H-140 (Portable mp3 player/hard drive)

On the laptop I'm currently using (not the new one) the green arrow is there when the modem is plugged in and gives the option "safely remove ZyXEL Prestige 630 USB MODEM"

Any ideas?

Advertisement