Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combining Satellite & Terrestrial signals

Options
  • 04-01-2005 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

I have just one coax going from a central location to each TV point, intended to carry the signal from the rooftop ariel to each TV. The coax used is satellite cable. I've now got a satellite receiver which I want to connect, at least in one room (or ideally locate centrally also to serve every room). Can I send the satellite signal down the same coax as the ariel? If not, are the video sender type gizmos my only option? BTW I also have a CAT5e cable to some of the points, would this be any use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If its a Sky Digibox you have then simply put the Terestrial signal cable into its RF IN or Aerial Socket and from the RF out put a Y splitter. From one leg of the Splitter connect the local devices, TV, VCR etc and from the other leg send a cable back up to the attic to a low gain distribution amp/splitter (depending on terestrial signal type, see note below.) to feed the other rooms. This can be extended further by also including the VCR in the local chain - path is now: Terestrial >> SAT RF IN >> SAT RF OUT >> VCR RF IN >> VCR RF OUT >> Splitter/Amp in attic - now you will also have the VCR signal available in all rooms.

This setup may require a bit of tweaking as the Default output channels on most equipment is Ch36 UHF, the Sky digibox is fully adjustable from the menu system just make sure you are connected via SCART before changing it.

Note: Depending on how good the normal channels are or whether or not they are from a cable system you may need to insert a 15dB pad to prevent over driving the distribution amp causing interference. If the terestrial channels are from a cable system (Chorus/NTL etc) you may get away with a 4 way low loss splitter rather than an amp.

Also note that if you intend to use only the SCART output from the sat box then the Y splitter won't be required.

(I've assumed that all the other TV points go back to the attic here, if not the where ever the go to will be the location for the signal splitter/amp)

Hope this helps.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Bobby04 wrote:
    I've now got a satellite receiver which I want to connect, at least in one room (or ideally locate centrally also to serve every room). Can I send the satellite signal down the same coax as the ariel?
    satcure do combiners for sat and UHF signals. Also do loft boxes etc for combining/distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Thankyou both very much indeed, and good luck with the website Zener.

Advertisement