Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave network setup anyone?

• 04-01-2005 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm interested in getting the ripwave service. It is the only broadband service available to me. (Blackrock area of Dublin). I need to run several machines on it so I thought to get the ethernet version on the modem & connect it to an 8 port belkin switch box I currently use. The sales people in IBB tell me that this cannot be done and I can't get through to any techs. Has anyone here shared a modem in this manner? Can anyone tell me about the service in the Blackrock area? (average speeds etc.) If it is better than dialup, then I'll probally have to go for it even if it is not really broadband

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

You can't use a switch, you need a Router to do what you want to do. I believe you'll be able to buy a cheapass router with just one port, and hook your 8 port switch into the lan port on the router, and then your ripwave modem into the wan port on the router. It should work fine like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I have a 4 port router pruchased from Maplin Electronics at the end of Jervis Street, works fine. (about 50euro if I remember correctly).

Advertisement