Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with nuisance calls to mobile

Options
  • 04-01-2005 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Hi, my dad keeps getting phone calls during business hours from a private number - if he answers he just gets a 'beep... beep...'

it's only a couple a day at the most but its still pretty annoying.

he rang o2 and they said they couldn't do anything since they didn't know the number - that sounds a bit weak to me.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

How could O2 possibly not know the number?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

How could O2 possibly not know the number?

exactly. do you think some cust service just fobbed him off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

dangerman wrote:
    exactly. do you think some cust service just fobbed him off?
    I do. Was he asked to supply them with the number? The next couple of times it happens, I'd make a note of the time. Then email the list to O2 asking them to do something about it. If they still refuse, take it either to someone higher in O2, or to ComReg. Thats what I'd do anyway.

I do. Was he asked to supply them with the number? The next couple of times it happens, I'd make a note of the time. Then email the list to O2 asking them to do something about it. If they still refuse, take it either to someone higher in O2, or to ComReg. Thats what I'd do anyway.

and it's what im about to do. cheers.

Right, I talked to 02 - basically under the terms of the data protection act they don't have access/cant reveal a private number so it can be barred. they only have access there and then to calls made from the mobile, not received. which is nice from a privacy standpoint, but bad from my dads standpoint.

his only option is a change of number. o2 will change the number for free once IF you report the nuisance to the gardai and get a garda number of some sort of them, but the girl said a lot of people just go buy a new sim card.

of course, there's nothing at all malicious about these calls - they're just a series of beeps [like some sort of auto dialler - its not a modem sound] - so I can't see the gardai putting a crack team onto solving it.

just a pity a customer can't be a bit more protected i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It sounds like a fax machine. I have had this before...the fax will send out a few beeps when it is establishing a connection. Does he get three calls in a row? It may be that one of these bulk fax companies have made an error and have a mobile on their lists or someone has programmed their machine incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

agree. sounds like a fax. I was getting this to my landline when I lived in holland (previous resident obvuiusly had a fax machine) I set it up in my laptop to capture the number and fax the f*ckers back when it happened and it stopped. maybe able to redirect your dad's number to a fax machine to see what comes out? and then you may be able to find out who it is and ring the f*ckers or at least fax them 3 sheets of black paper taped together in a loop - watch their toner run out fast!!!!!

yeh some sort of machine sounded right - redirect to a fax would that work for real? Cause i'd love to get the bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

I was getting nuisance calls on my o2 mobile, o2 changed the number for free without a garda report but said any further changes would require me going to the guards. You can get your Dad to divert the calls to his voicemail; it picks up faxes as faxes and he can then divert them to a regular fax machine for printing...

o2 faxminder

http://web.o2.ie/personal/services/mobile_tools/faxminder.jsp

o2 diverts (pay monthly only)
    • Not reachable (phone off): ** 62 * divert number #.
    • Busy (on another call): ** 67 * divert number #.
    • No reply (mobile is ringing out): ** 61 * divert number #.
    • 3 in 1 Divert (all of the above): ** 004 * divert number #.
    • Cancel all Diverts: ## 002 #.
    • To Divert All Calls Unconditionally: ** 21 * divert number #.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

My girlfriend has been receiving Call Me texts for the last few days. Even with the number O2 sya they can't do anything. The only options they gave was go to the Gards, they have the power to request that the other account is shut down or to change the number.

I find it hard t believe that they cannot flag an account to filter that one number out. It's a bit rediculous that when you start receiving nuisance calls you have to go through so much crap to sort it which probably means you changing your number :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

well I work in Vodafone and the policy we have is that we can't give away any numbers unless the gardai come to us, then if there is a summons then they will give out the number. In general we are not allowed tell anybody numbers they have even dialled for RTG even though we can see them which I find very stupid but thats the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

See if you know anyone in O2 they can get it for you. Of course you aren't allowed say how you got it etc.

DOn't know about 02 but we don't have numbers dialled in unless its premium rate texts but people above us do so its possible, imagine it would be same with 02 if you knew anybody high enough you could probably do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

My girlfriend has been receiving Call Me texts for the last few days.

Isn't this a free service that O2 offers and it includes the senders number? So you have their number and you can call them and find out. Perhaps someone is trying to reach you or genuinely has the wrong number!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

dangerman wrote:
    Right, I talked to 02 - basically under the terms of the data protection act they don't have access/cant reveal a private number so it can be barred. they only have access there and then to calls made from the mobile, not received. which is nice from a privacy standpoint, but bad from my dads standpoint.

Had this problem a few times my self, people thinking its funny to ring at 4am. Normally its drunk friends and when I find out I ask nicely to see their phone and delete my number before they realise whats going on.

Personally I think you should lose your right to privacy as soon as you dial somebody. If you want to be private dont dial out. Its simple enough. At a minimum you should be able to block all incoming private number calls and specfic numbers.

Proabably never happen though. Its a bit like baring stolen phones. They could have done it years ago but stolen phones generate revenue as well so some kid had to be stabbed before they did anything about it.

BrianD wrote:
    So you have their number and you can call them and find out. Perhaps someone is trying to reach you or genuinely has the wrong number!

We've tried that and it just goes to the message minder I think once some kid picked up but hung up straight away we have gone to the Gards but at the same time it's all inconvienance on our side. I dont see why the all powerfull networks cant bar the number ringing my gf's phone.

I thought it used to be possible.

So now all we can do is go to the gards again and see if they will contact O2 to get the account shutdown

Kazujo wrote:
    We've tried that and it just goes to the message minder I think once some kid picked up but hung up straight away we have gone to the Gards but at the same time it's all inconvienance on our side. I dont see why the all powerfull networks cant bar the number ringing my gf's phone.

I thought it used to be possible.

So now all we can do is go to the gards again and see if they will contact O2 to get the account shutdown

Of course from a technology point of view its possible but its not legal to do so or so I was told

What are the legal implications for me ringing O2 and confiming my identity then saying I do not want to receive any calls of messages form this number.

Even if you have to sign something to say that you wish to have the number blocked and will not hold them responsible if you do not receive a call that turns out to be important.

I dont see why it is left to the victim to change their number to resolve the issue of the Gard's do not find it necessary to get the number blocked for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I don't think it's a question of legalities, but, rather, a question of logistics, and having to implement such a system (presumably at a significant cost for a very minor portion of customers). It's a good idea alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i found 02 a pain in the rear end to be honest. i got ring and hang ups at all hours and then it went as far as long holds before they'd hang up.. i didn't want to change my number but 02 could do nothing for me..so i changed to vodafone. i had a mate who was in a managment position she got me the numbers and names and addresses i foned them let them know what i knew and told them that i'd given the info to the garda(which i hadn't) calls stoped...

i thought there was a away of only acepting calls from people in your phone book??

• Advertisement

cgarvey wrote:
    I don't think it's a question of legalities, but, rather, a question of logistics, and having to implement such a system (presumably at a significant cost for a very minor portion of customers). It's a good idea alright.

I reckon it has alot more to do with revenue lost by blocking calls that would have otherwise gone through and made them a profit.

i found 02 a pain in the rear end to be honest. i got ring and hang ups at all hours and then it went as far as long holds before they'd hang up.. i didn't want to change my number but 02 could do nothing for me..so i changed to vodafone. i had a mate who was in a managment position she got me the numbers and names and addresses i foned them let them know what i knew and told them that i'd given the info to the garda(which i hadn't) calls stoped...

i thought there was a away of only acepting calls from people in your phone book??

LOL id love to have seen the dodgy callers face when you did that.

I conned names out of O2 customer care while I worked in a retail outlet. You could ring up give a number and 9 times out of 10 the call center person would ask you if the person with you was Joe Blogs.

As for blocking all but phone book, thats a handset feature as opposed to network. Call still comes thru but the phone dosnt alert for it. Generally it still appears on the screen though.

Advertisement