Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic School won't back down on allowing kids of Gay Couple

Options
  • 04-01-2005 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

See, Catholics aren't all bad you know. The school should be praised for their stance. For once it would be nice if this didn't yet again turn into some people launching the usual assault on the church. Yeah, the Pope in your opinion is an asshle. We get it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-4707063,00.html
    Gay Couple's Sons Anger Catholic Parents
    Monday January 3, 2005 12:46 AM

COSTA MESA, Calif. (AP) - Some parents and parishioners have accused the Roman Catholic diocese in Orange County of violating church doctrine by allowing a gay couple to enroll their children in a church school.

The group demanded that St. John the Baptist School in Costa Mesa accept only families that pledge to abide by Catholic teachings, the Los Angeles Times reported in Sunday's editions. Church doctrine opposes gay relationships and adoption by same-sex couples. ``The teachings of the church seem to have been abandoned,'' John R. Nixon told the Times. ``We send our children to a Catholic school because we expect and demand that the teachings of our church will be adhered to.''

School officials rejected the demand, and issued a new policy stating that a family's background ``does not constitute an absolute obstacle to enrollment in the school.'' The parents' demand would presumably prevent two adopted boys whose parents are both men from attending the school's kindergarten.

The Rev. Gerald M. Horan, superintendent of diocese schools, said that if Catholic beliefs were strictly adhered to, then children whose parents divorced, used birth control or married outside the church would also have to be banned. ``This is the quagmire that the parents' position represents,'' he said. ``It's a slippery slope to go down.''

The boys' parents, who enrolled their children at the beginning of the school year, declined to comment to the Times.

Some parents have promised to ask the Vatican to intervene and some have threatened to pull their children from the school. Others are worried the boys' attendance will set a precedent, saying their presence is part of a larger effort by the gay community to change the church.

``The boys are being used as pawns by these men to further their agenda,'' said Monica Sii, who has four children at the school.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

What about my usual assault on stupid people, is that allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Boston wrote:
    What about my usual assault on stupid people, is that allowed?

Nope. Go to humanities and annoy Pam.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

One would have to wonder why they enrolled their child in this school in the first place, I have a feeling the lady has a point about the agenda thing. Presumably the kid would sooner or later be taught Catholic doctrine on homosexuality. What then??

While I respect the Rev.'s opinion, the school should really follow a Catholic ethos, if that means 90% of the students are ineligible so be it, especially if it is being funded by the diocese.

That said, as a Catholic, I don't particularly like schools of a particular denomination. I believe religious instruction should be reserved for the home, and a Catholic ethos maintained there if so wished. I know my kids will be going to secular or non-denominational schools.

Edit: Just saw this thread is years old. My mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cabbage Brained

Praising the Catholic Church for that is like praising Hitler for all the Jews he didn't kill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement