Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insulation

Options
  • 04-01-2005 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering about getting the walls im my house insulated, they are redbrick with a cap and then 9 solids. a few years ago there was adds on RTE for the insulation they blow into these gaps basically fill them with insulation. This would be an ideal soultion if it A works and B can be done.
    Anyone have experience with this is it any good, where can i get a quote, any similars costs etc, its a standard 3 bed house

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mark0

Had insulalation blown into the cavity of house 2 years ago.......works really well.......noticable warmer house since........at the time you could get a grant to help with the costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Zoso

Sounds like you're looking for something like Polypearl www.polypearl.com.
    Best bet is to get in touch with them and they'll tell you whether or not it's suitable for your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Stoner,

Check out the IAB web site, I think it's part of www.nsai.ie you will be able to download a copy of the Irish Agrement Board Certificate for Poly Pearl and a similar system.

My advice is to read the literature and make sure the job is carried out to the letter, all I's dotted and T's crossed.

When installed in line with their own and the IAB information it is a very good system.

Feel free to read between the lines, I have been told I leave enough spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'll check it out,

had a guy from polyperl over yesterday (sat) quoted me 1000 euro to do the job, i'll print off the regs and make sure all is good.

thanks for the contacts everyone

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Mark0 wrote:
    at the time you could get a grant to help with the costs.

Are grants still available to have this work done to your property?
    If so, how (and to whom) does one apply?

• Advertisement

Dont know Samon,

I got it sorted in my place last week, cost 1K net. It has made a difference, the house is not the inferno my girlfriend was hoping for but it removes the morning chill from the roooms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dee mm

Stoner out of interest, how big was the house, its really got me thinking all this. How long does it take? And do they do the attic spray on stuff too?

dee MM

the house is a standard end of terrace corporation style house. It was built in the late 60s and has red brick on the outside an air gap followed by solid blocks.It's this air gap that i had filled with insulation. So i had the whole of the gable wall, i got em to go up to the attic space on the gable wall ( the triaggular bit ) also as I have the attic ready to go for a small conversion.
    Also I got the whole front of the house and half the back wall of the house done as i have recently built an extension accross the whole of the back of the house downstairs so i didnt need to get it done as it is essentially not there anymore. Basically he did the gable wall up as far as the attic as a swap for not having to do all the back wall.

He sprayed nothing in the attic, I have normal insulation in my attic in the roof space (as its ready for conversion) I never asked him about any spray and to be honest i don't know about it either.

So if your house was mid-terrace it would be less expensive, if its fully detached it would cost alot more.
    The heat difference is only slight but it is there. It took them 2-3 hours and there was very little mess, obviously the construction of the walls in your house determines if you can or cant use this insualtion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dee mm

Cheers stoner, have them calling out in a few days to have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

Stoner, do you have any idea how wide the cavity was that they had to fill i.e. do you think it was 100mm.
    I would be very interested in the 'rough' measurements of the wall (walls) in question in m2, as I have recently received a really high quote from Polypearl for a new house (2,500 ft floor area)

• Advertisement

yep the gap was about 80mm , howsever the guy complained afterwards that it took alot more insualtion then he calcualted

"good for you, bad for me " he said, to tell you the truth the guy seemed ok, came when he said he would etc and clean, i just have to check the attic wall as its been dark when i get home since he did it. The advice & sites roofer pete told me about were good.

Advertisement