Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL static IP address?

• 04-01-2005 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if any residential users of NTL's cable modem service had managed to get them to give you a static IP address? I had a very long and frustrating phone call to their sales team where I was told that I would be given a "dynamic static" address :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

What do you want a static ip for?

Odds are something like dyndns.org or no-ip.org will do what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Moriarty wrote:

Odds are something like dyndns.org or no-ip.org will do what you're looking for.

I have my own domain name and I run my own mail/webserver at home using my DSL line. But I want more speed and cable seems the way to go. But i'll check out those websites you listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i don't think NTL provides static IP service to home users. However, our IP address has only changed few times (less than 5 times) since we had NTL cable internet in September 2004. So, I guess it's our luck that they don't bother changing our IP address much.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

I was told that I would be given a "dynamic static" address :/
    I think "dynamic static" means that if the same IP is available when your modem connects you'll get it, otherwise you will be assigned a new address. So, hopefully by staying connected all the time your IP will stay constant. That's what I'm hoping anyway! I've only been going about three weeks but the IP hasn't changed yet.
    I used to be with EsatBT and they seemed to force IP changes daily - if not more often! They would disconnect you to change the IP - sneeky buggers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Moriarty wrote:

It's very handy for using Remote Desktop Connection to login to your Home PC.

I rang NTL last summer asking about static IP addresses. He said he would get back to me but never did. Since then my IP has stayed the same and thats just over 7 months ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Fmcgrath

Use the following, its easy, its free and it requires no port configuration on your firewall or router.

www.logmein.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gorkypark

Fmcgrath wrote:
    Use the following, its easy, its free and it requires no port configuration on your firewall or router.

www.logmein.com

Just want to say "thanks" for that one Fmcgrath - tried using PC Anywhere and couldn't get anywhere with it!! :D

Advertisement