Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Torque Wrenches

Options
  • 04-01-2005 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a torque wrench. Doesn't have to be super top quality, just something reasonable. It needs to have a square, 1/2 inch drive and it should have a range of at least 100-200 Nm.

How much would you expect to pay for something like this. I looked in McQuillan tools in blanchardstown and they cost 150 quid which seems far too dear. There are ones available online which are a lot cheaper but I'd prefer to try a normal shop first. Any suggestions?

BrianD3

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Co-incidentally I was just looking up some of these!
    German & Swedish have them for UK£28.50 + VAT so about €50 (part # 98767
    The McQuillan price is a lot - what make? Hazet?

edit: Just thinking (for once!) Im not sure if the GSF one is in the smae torque range you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

lidl had some a while back and there in every now and then at 20 euro. if ur not in a hurry keep an eye out. they are nice quality ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I have a 'Teng Tool' torque wrench, which come with the Teng lifetime guarantee. I have it a few years now, I think it cost c.IRL£50.

Another good choice would be 'Kamasa' brand.

You should check the prices of 'Sykes Pickavant' torque wrenches, they are one of the the best around - may be same as McQuillans price though.

If you want a cheap one - I see Argos do one for c.€25.

What kind of use will you be putting it to ?

sure buy the argos one and if its no use take it back if u only need it occasionally. although with tools as silvera says teng and sikes pika are the best and are worth it if u intend to use them regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There were two 150 quid wrenches in McQuillans - one was a Draper "Professional", the second may have been a Sykes Pickavent not sure though. Both wrenches came with a number of sockets which I don't need.

They had another draper which had a 3/8" drive, it was a lot cheaper and didn't have any sockets. Another cheap wrench was a weird old fashioned looking thing which wasn't micrometer controlled, instead it had a kind of metal pointer which pointed to a scale. Like something off an old balance.

MCQuillans appears to be a good shop, maybe a little dear though. First place I tried looking for tools was the nearby Motorway place which I quickly found to be sh*te.

Anyhow thanks for the info re: other places to try, will check them out.

Just had a look at the Argos one. Looks like it would do the job. The first use I have in mind for the wrench is tightening hub nuts on a Megane. I hope the wrench is reasonably accurate otherwise the car may turn into a three wheeler on me :D

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

The 'pointer thingy' is a basic way to torque nuts/bolts - some people swear by them.........or was it swear at them :D

Try Southside Mt Factors, Kylemore Rd. or the factors in JFK Ind Est (don't recall name).

i dont think ul beat the argos one. u can always return it if u dont like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

BrianD3 wrote:
    The first use I have in mind for the wrench is tightening hub nuts on a Megane. I hope the wrench is reasonably accurate otherwise the car may turn into a three wheeler on me :D

BrianD3

hub nuts?

i got wrench from Argos. does the job

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There are loads of them on sale @ www.ebay.co.uk for a snip!

Advertisement