Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

• 04-01-2005 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi everyone

Happy New Year to you all.

Santa brought me an aquarium for Christmas. It's a coolwater tank which holds about 35 litres (or there abouts, I lost count when I was filling it!)

I have been running the tank without fish for a week now, as per the instructions, and have another week to go before I put fish into it.

I was wondering if anyone has any advise on what books I can buy to teach me which fish I can put in the tank and which ones won't kill each other, etc. I don't really want to just put goldfish into it, I want to include fish that are more pleasing to the eye (and before you say anything I know that most of the more tropical fish need warm water tanks).

I just want to read up on keeping fish. I really want to do this properly, so if anyone can reccommend a book (or even a website) for a beginner, then I would be grateful if you could share the title and author, or failing that if anyone has an aquarium then friendly advise would also be apprecated.

Thanks

Cb
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

Hi CountryBoy

have a look at www.fishfx.net

there are some useful links in the links and fishy fun
    section...

add the fish gradually, one at a time.
    and feed very little initially... 3 flakes every 2 days

have a look online
    there's a place called the goldfish sanctuary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Give this site a go.

Also try here.

I reccommend you start with coldwater fish, they're the easiest to keep.
    There's much more than the regular orange goldfish, there's black moors, orandas, veiltails, bubbleeyes and pearlscales to name but a few!
    There's also the White Cloud Mountain Minnow (below) and Weather Loach.

white_cloud_mountain_minnow.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭shelly04

fish are yuckycreepyhoribleevildisgustingVILEVILEVILE wastes of water.. could put in more plesent things that likes to swim... or make a palace thingy with the toys you can get and put nemo into it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There are plenty of lovely coldwater fish that you can start with.
    As Nala mentioned there are the White cloud minnows which are very hardy and also quite attractive.
    There are a number of asian fish that also look very attractive. one example is the Chinese sailfin sucker, Myxocyprinus asiaticus,
    a good website is: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk
    Try introducing one or two small fish and allow them to start the aquarium cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

if your near a branch of easons check out their book sale i seen a nice aquarium book there for under a tenner it might be of use 2 ya.

• Advertisement
Advertisement