Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New buying advice, please read!

Options
  • 04-01-2005 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I know little or nothing about buying flats/houses, but i'm determined i'll be out of home in a place of my own within the next 12 months.
    Where can i educate myself on property matters?
    Any papers, magazines, etc people cn recomend?
    How much would you need to be earning per year to buy a place?
    25k?
    What sort of lump sum is needed?
    25k?
    How easy is to find someone to rent an apartment close to city centre or along DART/LUAS line?
    Has the LUAS made much of a difference near the red cow, along either of the new train lines?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

www.daft.ie is always handy to check rental costs in certain areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Without doubt, the askaboutmoney.com discussion forum is the best irish site for solid info on everything to do with a house purchase/sale etc.

Register and read, read, read...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Eurorunner wrote:
    Without doubt, the askaboutmoney.com discussion forum is the best irish site for solid info on everything to do with a house purchase/sale etc.

Register and read, read, read...

I can second the advice about askaboutmoney.com . It's a great resource for everything financial not just home buying.

You should read the property supplements in the Sunday papers to give you an overview of whats going on, just be aware that what you read may not be unbiased.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

normally your mortgage is around 4 times ur salary
    so if u earn 25k you can get 100k mortgage.

Ur deposit is the other cash you need and it is normally 8-10% of the house price

god luck if ur trying to buy in around or near Dublin I have been searching for anyhting within commuting distance and if are buying on ur own and earn less then 50k it appears impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

You won't find any affordable property (a relative term I know! but lets say i.e. under €380,000) on the luas line from Stephen's Green to Sandyford. You can still find some on the Line from Connolly to Tallaght, but its harder to get anything with 2 beds in previously affordadle places like Rialto, Inchicore or Drimnagh. To be honest, if you're working in town and want to get a place with Luas or Dart public transport, Kilbarrack and Donaghmede are probably your only chance at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement