Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio has lost its soul

Options
  • 04-01-2005 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to open this up. I've totally stopped listening to the radio now as I'm completely sick of it. Every feckin' station is the same, same sounding DJs, same songs, same ad's with Ben feckin' Dunne trying to flog gym subscriptions etc ad nauseum. There's no life on radio anymore; nobody interesting is ever interviewed on the radio, all I seem to hear is the usual Kerry McFadden/Westlife/Colin Farrell stuff all the time. Bring back some nutters onto the radio please!!!!!
    I've been looking at satellite radio and it seems like a much better deal. Ok, you have to pay for it, but its not a very big amount, but you get to listen to exactly what you want, when you want and don't have to listen to cloned D4 presenters talking through their arse.
    What think ye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Less than 6 months until Phantom comes along.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

bearing in mind that phantom afaik got its licence under the same terms as spin fm did i think it should take a similarly short amount of time for the investors to realise that there's simply more bread in sounding like every other radio station out there....

i just cant wait for the analogue switch off and hope that it means that the entire fm range gets deregulated. THEN you'll get decent radio.

FÙCK the legal stations!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why don't you check out internet radio, there are some brilliant stations on Shoutcast, and BBC digital radio is very good too. I don't remember the last time I listened to FM radio. It's drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Was just thinking today how depressing daytime radio is. How anybody can listen to Gareth O'Callaghan or Rick O'Shea or any of those twats is beyond me. You can turn the dial again and again but it's all the same. Shania Twain and crap like that. It's especially bad when you're on a bus without a walkman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

eth0_ wrote:
    Why don't you check out internet radio, there are some brilliant stations on Shoutcast, and BBC digital radio is very good too. I don't remember the last time I listened to FM radio. It's drivel.

*nods in agreement* the endless world of internet radio will cure what ails ya

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

eth0_ wrote:

Yeah, I listen to net stations now and again. There are some decent rock stations and talk stations out there. But thats only when I'm online. God, I'd just love to come down to breakfast in the morning and switch on the radio and have something decent to listen to. I know I can use CD's, but a radio is a radio and its purpose is to listen to music on. Too bad that almost anything you recieve in ireland is brutal. Couple that with 20 mins of adverts in 30 mins, banal banter between two total assholes (or worse, Ryan Tubridy) and hideous jingles....
    I think your 'drivel' description could be ramped up a few notches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Depends what kind of music you like to listen to.. while its not a replacement for Here Comes The Night/Headphones, Donal Dineens "Small Hours" show is still pretty decent and plays some of the best music available on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

cashback wrote:
    Was just thinking today how depressing daytime radio is. How anybody can listen to Gareth O'Callaghan or Rick O'Shea or any of those twats is beyond me. You can turn the dial again and again but it's all the same. Shania Twain and crap like that. It's especially bad when you're on a bus without a walkman.

Don't get me started on O'Callaghan. After Micheal Hutchence hung himself, A**hole O'Callaghan was on the radio the same day telling stories of Hutchence shooting up in the next room when he was going to interview him, I mean WHAT was he trying to gain ????? the guy was dead !!!!!
    Then all we here is O'Callaghan suffers from depression. What goes around.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

bearing in mind that phantom afaik got its licence under the same terms as spin fm did i think it should take a similarly short amount of time for the investors to realise that there's simply more bread in sounding like every other radio station out there....

I have higher hopes about Phantom. Spin was/is flawed as it tries to play 50 cent and Coldplay back-to-back. Two diverse audiences, I feel.

Kali, I agree with you there, Donal Dineen plays great stuff, but I want that during the daytime when all you have is the banal tripe of Tubridy/O'Callaghan/98FM/FM104 etc etc etc etc.

I'm with DMC, I don't think Phantom will f*ck us over, and while I like Donal Dineen, that's only a few hours programming a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The only thing I ever listened to is Phantom/XFM and Greg Merriman who used to do the crazy bastard Overnighter on FM104. Anyone remember it? It was pure genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Greg Merriman who used to do the crazy bastard Overnighter on FM104. Anyone remember it? It was pure genius.

That was legend. I remember I used to be wrecked everyday from staying up listening to it.

Kali wrote:
    ...Donal Dineen...

Is that the skinny little wretch that works for MCG???

The only thing I ever listened to is Phantom/XFM and Greg Merriman who used to do the crazy bastard Overnighter on FM104. Anyone remember it? It was pure genius.

Was he the guy on right after the phone show, he had a phone show of his own only they let complete nutters on the air? And there was a character called Tony on it? That was pretty funny. Long time ago now, though.

Back when FM104 was called Rock 104. About 1996 or something, if my mem serves me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

eth0_ wrote:
    Was he the guy on right after the phone show, he had a phone show of his own only they let complete nutters on the air? And there was a character called Tony on it? That was pretty funny. Long time ago now, though.

Yeah, that's the one Tony the Monkey Child (voiced by Jim Jim who does the morning show now) Mary Shockolates and Barnaby Harmlessly. Pure insanity of the radio and I've not heard anything remotely as entertaining since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I don't think you can get sattleite radio in Ireland, which sucks. I'd love to have ad free radio. It means diversity even if you have to pay a subscription.

Advertisement