Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quickie re Penalty Points

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

kbannon wrote:
    Did the garda drop the charge at the side of the road or did you appeal, requesting the printout or did you go all the way to court?
    1.&3 The garda dropped the charge at the side of the road. was not impressed i knew the law.

2. Got a summons but a week before the court they dropped the charges citing technicial problems with their evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

either i'm dirty minded or i don't know but when i read your subject line i thought it was about having a quickie and what points you'd get if you got caught

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

going by your sig, I suspect that it is because you are dirty minded. Not everyone dates Gillian Taylforth!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Boggle wrote:
    How long is it going to take for someone to kill someone because they were more worried about watching their speedo while passing the school than watching for kids. Especially now that they'll be squinting at the small secondary print on their speedo dials.

My fear also :(
    I'm not sure if unkel is right about that loophole being closed

I read it in one of the national newspapers but would like to see more evidence myself like on government websites etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

unkel wrote:
    I read it in one of the national newspapers but would like to see more evidence myself like on government websites etc.

Evidence that it's closed or evidence that it's still open?

It's such a controversy, that if it was evidence that the loophole is closed, we'd have heard a lot more about it than in one newspaper, methinks.

As to the case wherein it was evidence that it's not closed, call me cynical, but I doubt very much the government is going to shout on the rooftops that they've got a gaping hole in their speed enforcement statutes ;)

Here's an interesting one for this thread - got flashed (I think, not sure) one night on M50 going to the airport, was under 80 so 'whatever' got me flashed me within 10 mph of limit (the flash was on my left side -not front or back, but level- no van or apparent camera around :confused: ).
    Thing is, I was on brit plates, but am changing same for IE plates before month end... What happens then? :confused:

EDIT: Incidentally (to echo another currently-popular thread), I got flashed because I was more concerned the weaving artic I was coming up to (and I was accelerating to overtake very quickly, should the driver be falling asleep or be blind drunk), than looking at my speedo :mad:

• Advertisement

Ambro - they cannot trace the ownership of a UK registered car and therefore you should be ok. If you were driving an Irish car on a UK licence then they would keep your points warm until the licence databases are shared across the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

EDIT: Incidentally (to echo another currently-popular thread), I got flashed because I was more concerned the weaving artic I was coming up to (and I was accelerating to overtake very quickly, should the driver be falling asleep or be blind drunk), than looking at my speedo
    As ar as I remember the wording of the rules of the road is that the speed limit is 60mph unless overtaking - so argue that this was part of the overtaking maneouvre. Might work! Then ask why the camera's dont (aren't designed to) monitor erratic driving...

The limit is 60mph (or whatever). It isn't "60mph unless you are doing something unusual" [note: I do not have a copy of the ROTR here]
    As for the cameras not catching erratic drivers - where did you hear this?

kbannon wrote:
    Ambro - they cannot trace the ownership of a UK registered car and therefore you should be ok. If you were driving an Irish car on a UK licence then they would keep your points warm until the licence databases are shared across the EU.

Was aware of that, but thanks kbannon.

EDIT re. 60 mph post - t'was the M50 @ 70 mph ;)

Note, however, that my query was (and I'll rephrase because it was obscure): can they link the UK car and reg from its V5 to its new IE reg, since I propose to register the very car with IE plates in the very short future & I'll have to present the V5 to obtain said IE reg (and therefore the car/reg/tax people will know the UK reg therefrom)? Or am I lending too much zeal and/or credit to the public servants, here? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

The limit is 60mph (or whatever). It isn't "60mph unless you are doing something unusual" [note: I do not have a copy of the ROTR here]
    As for the cameras not catching erratic drivers - where did you hear this?
    As for the speed thing - it is written as 60mph unless overtaking (or was when I did my test). And the erratic drivers thing... what I meant was why are the camera's only designed for speed monitoring only as surely they could be setup to monitor for weaving cars and to alert the gardai in such a case. (and I know its implausible but its only an example - sorry)

What I really was getting at was why are they ONLY interested in speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I received a penalty point notice in the post today with exactly the same details as one I received on 24 December (Happy Christmas to you too!). I had paid the fine / accepted the -rep (I checked with the bank that the cheque had been cashed) so I phoned up the guards to see what they were playing at.

The guy on the phone went off and checked the computer and duly came back with a "You're right, it's a duplicate ticket, there must be a glitch in the system. Send it back to me marked 'duplicate ticket. I don't know what the computer is doing at all'". My understanding was that the cops had to go through the film manually to issue the tickets, or is it all automated now?

What I want to know is how many other people has this happened to? And how many people have shelled out twice thanks to the overwhelmingly intimidatory nature of these notices? (i.e. pay up now or face GAOL FOR LIFE if you contest the ticket).

All this makes me want to listen to NWA and/or Bodycount. And buy a radar detector 'for novelty purposes'.

Because cameras are an investment that earns'em stacks'o'moneeeey - it stops being an investment if it's not used to make any money, e.g. for monitoring traffic and sending out Garda to stop a lorry driver from falling asleep at the wheel. ;)

I'm sooo cynical - must be the "stopping smoking" thing, I'm feeling like chewing tinfoil these days... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Incidentally, are the enormously tall poles on the N7 and Red Cow roundabout with about 8 lamps and a little camera fitted GATSOs, or are they just 'traffic cameras'?

@ ambro - the money is earned by the state not the gardai. They just get nice stats.
    @ magpie - this was discussed recently - they are traffic flow cameras IIRC

kbannon wrote:
    @ ambro - the money is earned by the state not the gardai. They just get nice stats.

Didn't say any different, did I? :confused: - ne'er mind :)

Advertisement