Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson v800 now available

• 04-01-2005 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Just to keep you all up to date, the Sony Ericsson v800 3G Handset is now available from Vodafone.

Cool Phone .. although I think I'll be waiting for the Sharp 902 (about 2 weeks) before I decide which is for me.

Prices should start around €249 with contract.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

cool cos i was just bitc*in in another thread bout how it wasnt!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I was waitin for the 902 but was too impaitent!!
    I got the 6630 which is a very good fone but has given me a few surprises.
    plus i got it pretty cheap,
    actually made money after selling my gx30!!

but the 902 seems like the proper job all right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

surprises on the 6630? do tell, this is on my shortlist too so any input is welcome.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

well my main one was that in the manual it says about getting extra memory cards but the 6630 only works with a new 'dual voltage' mmc card which i only found out after splashing out on a 512mb 'regular' mmc for mine.
    the 6630 has a 1.3 mega camera but i had a gx30 before and i thought the camera was a little better, the gx30 has a big advantage of a light though.
    the 6630 has a better menu and functions than the sharp for a business user but i miss the nice coloured light on the gx30, maybe i'm just a child but eh!!

overall i am very happy with the 6630 just wish i could get a biggger memory for it, have to say the 3g premership highlights are a must and all the lads @ work crowd around to look @ them.

any other wonderings just ask :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am on my second 6630.. The first one was working fine but just decided to stop reading sim cards on New Years eve.. Got a new one though and everything is hunky dorey..

Think I might be getting the V800 soon myself..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Does anyone know if Vodafone have prevented mp3 playback with their firmware on the V800? Voda in the UK did this on the last two Sony Ericsson models they carried, the K700 and S700.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

v10 wrote:
    Just to keep you all up to date, the Sony Ericsson v800 3G Handset is now available from Vodafone.

Cool Phone .. although I think I'll be waiting for the Sharp 902 (about 2 weeks) before I decide which is for me.

Prices should start around €249 with contract.

where did you see it on sale i've just been round lookin in three stores in naas to no avail, please if anyone ilse knows where i can get it please let me know im dying to get this phone.

thanks

yeah,grafton street didnt have it.i at least wanna hold it and hav a quick go!

so it probably isnt available then? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I think the story with MP3 problem on the Vodafone Sony phones is that you couldnt play MP3s that didnt have DRM (Digital Rights Management i think). If u download an MP3 ringtone tho from vodafone you can indeed play it coz it has DRM. Cheeky beggars! I think the problem was solved by downloading a yoke from the sony developers website that "wraps" already existing MP3s (on your PC)with DRM. So you'd have to do that to each file when you're copying MP3s to your phone. Hassle like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

V10 obviously works in an agent store so if he says its available, I would be pretty confident that his is correct.. Maybe try a Vodafone retail store?

just after trying the store in blanch centre and they dont have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 davidk

Just gone a shiny new one from Voda store in Henry Street this morning- they looked to have a few in stock....just waiting for it to charge now!

DK

coool,can u post some pics of it please?how much was it? CPW has it for E279 on the supertime tariffs. E349 for the rest, xcept performer for E319(ish).

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

mp3 playback is fine on my V800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 DaveK

I bought it today in the Vodafone store in Blackrock; it cost €224 on the Performer tariff.

how much was it on supertime you know?

DaveK wrote:
    I bought it today in the Vodafone store in Blackrock; it cost €224 on the Performer tariff.

hox'd you get it for that? im getting one tomorow and cpw qouted me €329

Stekelly wrote:
    hox'd you get it for that? im getting one tomorow and cpw qouted me €329

so thats the one your goin for? nice :D;)
    still...its not a 902 ;):p :rolleyes:

dookie wrote:
    so thats the one your goin for? nice :D;)
    still...its not a 902 ;):p :rolleyes:

Yeah i tend to get an idea and want it NOW, im very impatient :D

This price thing is throwing me a bit though.

• Advertisement

thats the only thing stoppin me,or so im conning myself to believe.i no im goin to pay more for the 902 but if i see the v800 im gonna get it.iv very little self-control!

think ill be heading to the vodafone store in blackrock to save myself €100

:D he probly knows the manager or else vodafone has 'em lower than CPW.a sales rep told me all 3g fones will E169 on the supertime tariffs...if its E229 or whatever for performer than it could well be E169 on supertime300. so...technically you can change your tariff when u upgrade your phone,get the v800 for E160 go home and switch your tariff badk on the internet. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 davidk

I got the V800 in Henry st for €349 as an upgrade on the Extra tarrif. All the 3g stuff is free for jan/feb - premiership highlights, sky news (both very cool :) ), etc - so real cost will only be apparent when I see after that which services are worth subscribing to.

The V800 is nicest 3g phone yet - smaller and lighter than my Z1010 and with a much better camera - both for still and video. The flash/light doesn't have much of a range though. Compared to the z1010, the ability to have memory stick pro duos is also a plus. Downloads of football quite quick 2Mb in 2 minutes flat. Games graphics look good, but not really into them. Haven't had time to play with Sync software and other goodies.

As for the 902, I had a look at one the other day and it's a blocky beast...go for a V800!

DK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Eldarin

hi guys,
    I work in Vodafone in the Mill Shopping Centre and We finally got the Sony Ericson V800 today and I have to say its the TIT's. Much better improved Picture Quality and general ease of use from the likes of the previous Sony Ericsons. Have to say though for those who are interested hold of for the Sharp 902. Promises to be the Business, it has everything including dishwasher and Plush Cuddly Toy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

dookie wrote:
    :D he probly knows the manager or else vodafone has 'em lower than CPW.
    As far as I know the special price on 3G phones is exclusive to stores that sell Vodafone only (Vodafone Retail & Vodafone-only agents) so you should get better than cpw on any 3G phone.
    Must say €224 sounds cheap though .. Thats the price for an upgrade with a spend discount going on to Supertime .. I didnt think you could get it for that on performer. (Watch you next bill !!)

v10 wrote:
    As far as I know the special price on 3G phones is exclusive to stores that sell Vodafone only (Vodafone Retail & Vodafone-only agents) so you should get better than cpw on any 3G phone.
    Must say €224 sounds cheap though .. Thats the price for an upgrade with a spend discount going on to Supertime .. I didnt think you could get it for that on performer. (Watch you next bill !!)

So any chance of a €329 beating price? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Lady^Jane

Damn..I want the phone..do you guys know how much issit selling for without any contracts??and can I upgrade from ready to go to pay monthly with v800 and how much will it be??..and I heard like if I wanna get a phone with contract I need to show a form of ID and proof of address rite, can I just show my ID with a bank statement with my address on it since I dont have any bills under my name??..or is there any other ways of getting the contract? Or not I will have to get the phone without the contract which I think will be much more expensive..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

Stekelly wrote:
    So any chance of a €329 beating price? :D
    PM me your mobile number and I'll see what I can do.
    do you guys know how much issit selling for without any contracts
    about €620 !
    can I upgrade from ready to go to pay monthly with v800 and how much will it be
    between €229 to €349 depending on tariff etc.
    can I just show my ID with a bank statement
    Yeah thats enough, although you may have to pay a deposit and you would probably need to pay by direct debit
    is there any other ways of getting the contract?
    Afraid not !
    without the contract which I think will be much more expensive
    Almost €300 more .. makes it worth it ... nearly !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Lady^Jane

v10 wrote:
    PM me your mobile number and I'll see what I can do.about €620 !between €229 to €349 depending on tariff etc.Yeah thats enough, although you may have to pay a deposit and you would probably need to pay by direct debitAfraid not !Almost €300 more .. makes it worth it ... nearly !

Thanks for answering all my questions, really appreciate it. I guess I will be heading to Vodafone Henry Street tomorrow to get the phone. Last question, is there any possibility that I can't get a contract, coz I heard some ppl were rejected from having any contracts..

Thanks!

Advertisement