Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson v800 now available

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 DaveK

v10 wrote:
    As far as I know the special price on 3G phones is exclusive to stores that sell Vodafone only (Vodafone Retail & Vodafone-only agents) so you should get better than cpw on any 3G phone.
    Must say €224 sounds cheap though .. Thats the price for an upgrade with a spend discount going on to Supertime .. I didnt think you could get it for that on performer. (Watch you next bill !!)
    I was thinking of changing to Super Time 300 and mentioned this to the sales rep, who said that I'd have to ring Customer Care to change from Performer (I think that this was as a result of a problem in the store rather than Vodafone policy); I got the impression that the price on Performer is the same as that on the Super Time tariffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Eldarin

Lady jane you have to get the phone on a contract for one simple reason at the moment anyways, The Phone wil not work with a non 3g simcard e.g: RTG Sim Cards. Buying it Sim Free is a complete waste of money as you wont be able to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

The phone does work with a non 3G SIM card - as reported in other threads about 3G phones with "2G" SIM cards. It just cannot connect to the 3G network (so cannot use any 3G services). It can however connect to the 2G network and works fine. I have not used this model with an RTG SIM long enough to know if it has the same problems reported with the nokia - which tries to reconnect to the 3G network when in strong 3G coverage even when told not to (which it fails to do).

It does seem to always attempt to reconnect to the 3G network regardless of what you tell it to do - which is a bummer! In areas of no 3G coverage it will work fine with any SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Lady^Jane wrote:
    is there any possibility that I can't get a contract, coz I heard some ppl were rejected from having any contracts..
    Thanks!
    Unless you've got a bad credit rating or something like that, there is no reason you'd be rejected, but as I said they may require a deposit. This can be from about €100 to €300. Just chance it, if a deposit is requested you can change your mind at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Just ordered mine. :D

€224 with upgrade, change to suptertime 300 from performer and a spend bonus of €25.

I reckon myself I'll prefer the v800 to the 902 cause I just hate having a bulky phone. I couldn't use the 6630 at all. Waaay to big and ugly.

Off hand though - what exactly does the 902 have over the v800? Is the 2.0 MP cam and slightly bigger res the only thing? The v800 is just far nicer imho and is lighter too. Oh, and I think the battery lasts longer as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

the cool swivel screen, 3.5mm jak for your own headfones,brilliant mp3 playback.stunnin video playback. fantasic QVGA screen. its roughly the same size tbh.

well so i heard.i cant wait! :D:D i stoll havent seen it. :mad: :(

http://ad.impress.co.jp/tie-up/v902sh/

dookie wrote:
    Looks pretty good, but I'm still not sure which to go for ... I think the v800 is a nicer looking phone and I'm a bit concerned that the bluetooth functionality on the Sharp will be limited (some sharp phones with bluetooth don't allow to send images via bluetooth) so I'll have to see them side by side before I get either ... swaying towards v800 though.

yeah, the v800 is calling to me...
    but if i get the 902 then i no that can be my fone for the next year. sayin that the v800 does look real nice,especially in white.do they only have black?i'll have to see them side by side aswell but im pretty sure itl b the 902.
    god im condtradictin myself all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

the vodafone store in dun laoire also has the lovely motorola v3 for €450 or so

• Advertisement

hmm better than the E499 they have for in o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

right, heres my situation: the phone im upgrading is my dads, Hes currently using a 3510. If i upgrade his tariff to the supertime one to get the phone cheaper on the upgrade, will he have any service differences? the price is roughly the same as performer (his current tarif) but with more minutes. Will this cause his sim to stop working in the 3510 or anything. Anyone know of any possible drawbacks.

im using my aunts,she's on extra but changing will save her money so i suspect she'd do that.even if she doesnt i'd be briefly changing her tariff to get the cheapest price,definitely to preformer if not to supertime300.actually i dunno wat wud happen,u can still use 2.5g sims in an old 2g fone,can't u?so i guess thered be little difference...anyone who can clarify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Lady^Jane

v10 wrote:
    Unless you've got a bad credit rating or something like that, there is no reason you'd be rejected, but as I said they may require a deposit. This can be from about €100 to €300. Just chance it, if a deposit is requested you can change your mind at that point.

What do you mean by bad credit rating? :confused: That much for a deposit..gosh..just have to pray that I wont have to pay that much.. :(

dookie wrote:
    u can still use 2.5g sims in an old 2g fone,can't u?so i guess thered be little difference...anyone who can clarify?

Yes, the SIM card is exactly the same. I used to have GPRS enabled on an old Esat Digifone card that was never built to use it. And I've also seen someone with an Esat card in a BlackBerry, he's been on billpay with Esat (now O2) since the start.
    The only issue is that if someone tries to send an MMS message to you when your account is provisioned for GPRS (2.5G) and your phone doesn't support it, you'll get a text message saying "Message cannot be displayed here." If that's a problem for you then I'd assume that your operator can disable GPRS on their end if you call them.

I'd say 3G sims are a totally different story, I doubt they would work in a GSM phone.

sure isnt 3g like a totally new network for vodafone???i dunno but u sound right.

When you said 2.5G did you mean 3G?....

2G is GSM
    2.5G is GSM with GPRS
    3G is UMTS

A 3G SIM won't work in a GSM or GPRS phone, but the opposite is true. A GSM SIM will work in a GSM phone, GSM/GPRS phone , or a 3G phone (but without the 3G features).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

the Voda 3G USIM provided to me at the time of subscribing to 3G and getting the 6630 has worked ok in all the 2G/2.5G handsets I've tried it in so far...

Ah, I stand corrected. So I'd assume that they supply a new SIM so you can use the 3G network, but you can still use the 2G network with it?

DVD playback for the 902

thats it, im sold!!!im definitely goin for the 902 now! GOD i cant wait! :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

There is no such thing as a "3G" SIM as such. The new SIMs are called USIMs which Vodafone currently insist on you having to access the 3G network. Only USIMs are allowed to access the VF 3G network, however they will work in 2G handsets. I think sooner or later they will be given out to everyone regardless.

Currently putting a 2G SIM in a 3G phone seems hit and miss and handset dependent. The lack of a USIM stops access to the entire 3G network, not just "3G features", so when the phone attempts to connect to the 3G network and fails, you wont be able to make/receive voice calls either. If you can force the phone to ignore the 3G network or you are in areas of no 3G coverage, then the 3G phone with 2G SIM will work fine on the 2G network... There is more than likely going to be a time when all SIMs will work on the 3G network.

dookie wrote:
    DVD playback for the 902

thats it, im sold!!!im definitely goin for the 902 now! GOD i cant wait! :D:D:D:D

the v800 can play mpeg4 aswell. even the k700 can . i have a full episode of the office (the training day one) on my k700.

dookie wrote:
    ... i'd be briefly changing her tariff to get the cheapest price...
    word of warning .. the offers Vodafone have on the Supertime tariffs (ie v800 @ €249 or less) are subject to you staying on Supertime for a minimum 6 months .. switch before that and €70 is charged on your next bill.
    What do you mean by bad credit rating?
    I mean Vodafone do a quick credit check on all customers prior to connection and I assume if someone were to fail this credit check they may be refused.
    Will this cause his sim to stop working in the 3510 or anything. Anyone know of any possible drawbacks?
    His sim will be upgraded to a 3G sim when you upgrade, it should be ok, the sims work in non-3G phones, but are you a bill customer or Ready to go ? If yours is a bill phone, then fine you'll just have to get yourself a 3G sim as well. If Ready to Go the phone should work for you but without any of the 3G dependant features.
    the v800 can play mpeg4 aswell. even the k700 can.
    Thats what I was gonna say!

v10 wrote:
    .His sim will be upgraded to a 3G sim when you upgrade, it should be ok, the sims work in non-3G phones, but are you a bill customer or Ready to go ? If yours is a bill phone, then fine you'll just have to get yourself a 3G sim as well. If Ready to Go the phone should work for you but without any of the 3G dependant features.

im rtg. any idea when 3g will be up and running on rtg?

Stekelly wrote:
    From what I've heard, its expect around June :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Stekelly wrote:

Heard April myself :confused:

Heard April myself :confused:
    Yeah, I think it was ''hopefully April, definately by June'' kind of thing !

v10 is about right - it's being worked on and should be in good shape testing wise by April but there's next to no chance of a release that early!

i saw the v800 yesterday...hmmm,very tall...i dont like it.
    its kinda hard to flip open if u get me. maybe im just nit-pickin but im gonna wait for the 902.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

BigMoose wrote:
    v10 is about right - it's being worked on and should be in good shape testing wise by April but there's next to no chance of a release that early!
    doh

Advertisement