Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can they do this?

• 04-01-2005 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

Yesterday evening when I got home from work I found out that my internet connection was cut off. Unfortunatly I didn't have time then to ring up to see what the problem was. Today I again returned from work to see I was still disconnected. So, I phoned the support line to see what the problem was.

Basically the support guy told me that they disconnected me because the copyright agency ( I can't be sure of this name but he said something to that effect ) had detected torrents and my isp had to cut me off.

The guy on the phone named the 2 offending torrents which I was indeed downloading.

I asked him why I wasn't notified that I was about to be cut off, or given a warning or anything and he said that it was their practice as they used to try and phone but they didn't get through sometimes or some crap excuse.

He asked me to remove the offending torrents which I have and I'd be reconnected. Of course I am still not connected back up again. I've ro resort to feckin dial-up

Are they allowed to cut me off without notifying me?
    Is the copyright agency a bullshit excuse?

They have already seriously throttled my internet connection on p2p programs. So much so that I could only get 10-14kbs from a meg line

Am I right to be annoyed?

I know that what I was downloadin was wrong and all that and I understand I'll go to hell for it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Irish ISPs have been getting letters from the RIAA/MPAA for over a year at least, informing them when their customers have been grabbing stuff of 'theirs'.

The ISP is allowed deal with it however they want, as you'll find it's in the TOS of your contract that you agree to not download any copyrighted material. Generally though, from what I've heard, they just phone you and ask you to stop/delete the stuff.

Digiweb are the first isp I've heard of that has actually temporarily cut people off for it.

<edit: You're with digiweb, right?>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

same thing happened me bud got back on-line no probs
    do but i think its a bull if you ask me lookin like torrents are finished do

Infini, don't link or mention warez sites here.

Also, suprnova went down because they couldn't handle the high traffic volumes and constant ddos attacks, it had nothing to do with any (threatend or real) legal action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Fair enough, moriarty.
    I only mentioned that link as it was funny the first time I read it.
    About suprnova, although that's one of the reasons going around, the legal threats theory has been circulating on some news posts from google news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

NO! port changing won't help anything they are blocking the threads, just read here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=186361&goto=newpost
    at the end

I hate digicrap, and the way everything is going south for the customer here in Ireland, ISPs are like "you give us your money, we don't guarantee you anything, we can screw up as we see fit and you must still pay us"

third world countries are ahead of Ireland in communications.

I also hate those hollywood b*****ds blaming everything on the internet, they lose money because they make s****y movies, not because of the internet, what do they think, if they block it, I will go to cinema or buy a dvd? hell no, I will wait years and tape record it when they show it on tv, but I doubt it will be worth it.

come on, 15 euro for an audio cd, 25 for a dvd, 50! for a game? are they crazy!?

greedy b*****ds.

I mean seriously if they block all the p2p and everything, will there be any need for a speed higher then 256kbps? it's more then enough for http and email,

• Advertisement

There's much more to the internet than email, http and p2p you smacktard.

True about that.
    Note: its 20 Euro for a CD, 30 Euro for a DVD and 60 Euro for a game.
    In anycase I only use Bittorrent to get anime, expecially since forbidden planet stopped selling it and they were the only place really into it even though their prices were sky high.
    Man, if things were more affordable....

Uh, Smacktard??? :confused:

Moriarty wrote:
    There's much more to the internet than email, http and p2p you smacktard.

like what? list the other interests except email(newsgroups included) and http.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I would say you were a troll if it wasn't apparent that you have no clue what you are talking about.

Online gaming
    Voip telephony
    Streaming audio (i.e. radio stations)
    VPN connection to the company you work for
    Connection Sharing

The list goes on.

davej

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Gaming, VoIP, Video Conferencing, Radio, TeleCommuting and Patches all spring to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

CyberGhost wrote:

The Web and the internet is not the same thing!

CyberGhost wrote:
    I mean seriously if they block all the p2p and everything

How can they legally do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

<rant>
    Whether or not you/we like paying rip-off prices for copyrighted materials is immaterial. It's illegal - period. One illegal MP3 on your system could cost you €127,000 - what ISP will take that risk on behalf of any subscriber? If it was your business, would you allow it? If you don't like the laws of the land (or the terms of the contract you agreed to with your ISP) then vote in politicians who agree with you (or move to China).
    </rant>

As it stands its a little pointless. If they had itunes here it would help a lot but as I've heard the people running itunes and other companys running web downloads have been in a prolonged bitchfight with the IMRO over the bloody royalties issue. Although I've heard of the IMRO planning to sue people for downloading music I've not heard of anyone actually being sued yet. Probably because of the rip-off prices and the fact that they're blocking legal download services if they actually tried going through with it would probably cause a massive public backlash over the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

One illegal MP3 on your system could cost you €127,000
    Genuine question - where does that figure come from ?
    I may need to set fire to my PC if thats the case...

They would'nt try making an ordinary person pay that much. They'd probably go for a settlement. If they tried taking it to court they would be afraid of the court ruling in the defendants favour. The RIAA in the US has never actally taken a person to court over the downloading music and offered settlements insted as they're afraid of the case going against them.

davej wrote:
    I would say you were a troll if it wasn't apparent that you have no clue what you are talking about.

Online gaming
    Voip telephony
    Streaming audio (i.e. radio stations)
    VPN connection to the company you work for
    Connection Sharing

The list goes on.

davej

sigh, I don't even want to discuss it but, online gaming doesn't need speed higher then 256, it's ping that matters, neither does telephony and streaming audio, and connection sharing and VPN don't need higher then 256 either.

yeah yeah, you are all right I'm wrong, let's just bend over and take it up the a** from all the isps and be happy about it. while other countries advance forward.

Hey Cyberghost, you might want to check out the www.degreez.net forum. Its run by theSHAD0W who created the bittornado client. He might know something on your throttling problem. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I can't believe that your isp disonnected you for your illegal activity which
    breached the terms of service that you agreed to abide by! Thats disgusting! How are you supposed to break your monthly cap if you can't download videos and music! If I were you, I would take them to court!

:rolleyes:

Infini wrote:
    Hey Cyberghost, you might want to check out the www.degreez.net forum. Its run by theSHAD0W who created the bittornado client. He might know something on your throttling problem. :D

hey Thanks Infini! :) I'll check it out.

• Advertisement

Adey2002 wrote:
    I can't beleive that your isp disonnected you for your illegal activity which
    breached the terms of service that you agreed to abide by! Thats disgusting! How are you supposed to break your monthly cap if you can't download videos and music! If I were you, I would take them to court!

:rolleyes:

yep, that's digicrap for you.

Well its official, there IS AN ISP WORSE THAN EIRCOM! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Adey2002 wrote:
    I can't believe that your isp disonnected you for your illegal activity which
    breached the terms of service that you agreed to abide by! Thats disgusting! How are you supposed to break your monthly cap if you can't download videos and music!

Just a note to say that I am on an uncapped line-which I'm paying quite a bit for I hasten to add

As for the terms of service. Do you have to sign for the terms and conditions for them to take effect, or by simply using the service do I have to abide by them? I'm asking because I don't think I signed any t&c and I'm wondering how this leaves me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Usually its assumed that if you're using the service, you agree to abide by the T&Cs... And rightfully so, no point setting down rules for some that don't apply to others.

Better off switching to a bullsh!t free ISP i suppose. Probably an easier solution as well.... :(

CyberGhost, theSHAD0W recommends changing ISP as well, just so you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

CyberGhost wrote:
    sigh, I don't even want to discuss it but, online gaming doesn't need speed higher then 256, it's ping that matters, neither does telephony and streaming audio, and connection sharing and VPN don't need higher then 256 either.

yeah yeah, you are all right I'm wrong, let's just bend over and take it up the a** from all the isps and be happy about it. while other countries advance forward.

Ah yes you are right of course. I would never want to use a number of the aforementioned services simultaneously now would I...

Stop trying to distract us from the fact that you said this:

You wanted a list and i gave you one. I'll always remember you as the guy who said the internet is only for email and web browsing. :)

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

davej wrote:
    I'll always remember you as the guy who said the internet is only for email and web browsing. :)
    And warez. Don't forget the warez. God forbid people might actually buy stuff, but hey...

Infini wrote:
    CyberGhost, theSHAD0W recommends changing ISP as well, just so you know.

Thanks for info dude!

davej, make it your sig ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭intersplat

Yesterday evening when I got home from work I found out that my internet connection was cut off. Unfortunatly I didn't have time then to ring up to see what the problem was. Today I again returned from work to see I was still disconnected. So, I phoned the support line to see what the problem was.

Basically the support guy told me that they disconnected me because the copyright agency ( I can't be sure of this name but he said something to that effect ) had detected torrents and my isp had to cut me off.

How did they know what you were downloading ? you could have been downloading your brothers wedding or anything . Did they ask
    what you were downloading ?

Advertisement