Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can they do this?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

And warez. Don't forget the warez. God forbid people might actually buy stuff, but hey...

Well people do deserve money for their work but its good to have them around. Expecially since some of them are too pricey (Adobe premier 800 euro, who the hells gonna spend that much for a program, you could get a low end laptop for that!). Besides how did they know what your downloading, sounds like they're invading your privacy if you ask me! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

There are plenty of alternatives out there, you don't need to use Premier. Premier is a package aimed at professionals who can afford it. If you can't, find an alternative.

As for invading your privacy, please... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

intersplat wrote:
    How did they know what you were downloading ? you could have been downloading your brothers wedding or anything . Did they ask
    what you were downloading ?

They can see exactly which torrents he was downloading/sharing.

It's only an example. In anycase most people have'nt got the money to afford half these programs (WinXP Pro about 270 euros) and people should'nt have to. There should be a student sheme where you dont have to pay anymore than 100 euro for a program. Besides most P2P users are STUDENTS who aren't going to use what little money they have after drink and college bills to buy things they probably wont use after they finish their course! :cool:

koneko wrote:
    They can see exactly which torrents he was downloading/sharing.

How exactly can they?!?!?!? :confused:

• Advertisement

All software they need should be provided by the colleges. If they can afford it, they should either get an alternative, or just not use it. Simple as that.

Infini wrote:
    Because they are able to monitor everyhting that goes through their network. Look up articles on the theory of networking to find out how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Infini wrote:

They're the ISP, all the traffic goes through them. That aside, torrents are public. If you're sharing something out, people are downloading it from you and can pretty much see that (afaik).

Well in anycase the internet was meant for the free exchange of information in the first place and not something coporate fatcats could control!

Infini wrote:
    Well in anycase the internet was meant for the free exchange of information in the first place and not something coporate fatcats could control!
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Infini wrote:

Infini
    There are no stupid questions, Just stupid people!

Your sig says it all

jbkenn

Very Funny! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Genuine question - where does that figure come from ?
    I may need to set fire to my PC if thats the case...

I'd like to know where they got that figure too. But set fire to your PC. That made me laugh. LOL
    :D

How about throwing it off a cliff! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

intersplat wrote:
    How did they know what you were downloading ? you could have been downloading your brothers wedding or anything . Did they ask
    what you were downloading ?

From what I was told the copyright agency informed my isp that I was downloading 2 torrents which they objected to(for obvious reasons) From there my isp immediatly disconnected me.

I asked why they disconnected me and the support person told me that if they didn't the copyright agency would cut them off. Now I'm sure this can't possibly be right. Can it? Maybe she meant that they would bring them to court or something, but I was left seriously confused by that.

I asked why they disconnected me and the support person told me that if they didn't the copyright agency would cut them off. Now I'm sure this can't possibly be right. Can it? Maybe she meant that they would bring them to court or something, but I was left seriously confused by that.

I don't know how they can do that either. Besides if they even did take it to court it'd be probably be thrown out as ISP's can't be held responsible for what people download. Another thing is why haven't we heard of anything like this on OTHER ISP's. Sounds like plain BS to me.

Which torrents were they anyway?

Infini wrote:
    ISP's can't be held responsible for what people download.
    Why not?

Well for starters ISP only provide connections they don't actually control what they're used for. Check out this article and you'll see what i mean: http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=636.
    Also its been a tendacy for these retards to sue people without actally taking them to court.(And and to piss off the general public in the process)

Infini wrote:
    Well for starters ISP only provide connections they don't actually control what they're used for. Check out this article and you'll see what i mean: http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=636.
    Also its been a tendacy for these retards to sue people without actally taking them to court.(And and to piss off the general public in the process)
    But if the ISP has it written in their terms and conditions that it would in contravention of said T&Cs, shouldn't the ISP then be responsible, as they are failing to uphold their side of the contract by turning a blind eye?

• Advertisement

But if the ISP has it written in their terms and conditions that it would in contravention of said T&Cs, shouldn't the ISP then be responsible, as they are failing to uphold their side of the contract by turning a blind eye?

True that is a good point. But how come only it seems only Digiweb actually does this kind of thing yet it hasn't been heard of or done on other ISP's like NTL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Infini. Please. Stop now.

Esat certainly had letters sent to them, and iirc eircom too. Both phoned the customers responsible and asked them to stop/delete the stuff.

Bullman, perhaps the person on the end of the phone was just trying to spoof you, or maybe she was telling the truth. (Whoever) could have threatend to sue digiwebs upstream provider if digiweb didn't show that they were doing something to stop it. Who's to know.

If this thread doesn't improve by some time tomorrow, it's gonna be locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The ISP is covered by Common Carrier Laws which means it does not have to worry about the content of what it is carrying.
    For example, common carriers generally explicitly have no legal liability for the contents of freight shipped through them
    The reasons are obvious; IRA use An Post to ship guns it's not An Post's fault, I use the phone to plot murder/treason it is not eircom's fault, similar argument with regards to you uploading copyrighted content it is not DigiWeb's fault.

The T&Cs are more then likely, for the most part, there to cover the amount up/downloaded. DigiWeb doesn't care if you uploaded 30 GB of legal content or illegal content, you've broken the cap that's what they are more worried about. I'm not certain why they are annoying you, maybe they are trying to get the letter writers to stop it or are worried about bad publicity.....God only knows. Also the copyright owners may bring you into court and that may involve expense on DigiWeb's part which they probably don't want.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

koneko wrote:
    That aside, torrents are public. If you're sharing something out, people are downloading it from you and can pretty much see that (afaik).

That is indeed the case unless your getting them from a private community tracker

The ISP is covered by Common Carrier Laws which means it does not have to worry about the content of what it is carrying.The reasons are obvious; IRA use An Post to ship guns it's not An Post's fault, I use the phone to plot murder/treason it is not eircom's fault, similar argument with regards to you uploading copyrighted content it is not DigiWeb's fault.

Thats a good example. In anycase they shouldn't actually disconnect you out of the blue without warning. At the very least they should send a ceast and desist first BEFORE moving to cut the line. At least there arent any hidden suprises. Also you should avoid things like warez and movies that seem too good to be true. They're a waste of bandwidth and could contain hidden adware or malware. If you want to use P2P you should try legal torrents (Linux OS's are on P2P. Unlicensed anime fansubs are also another example).

Advertisement