Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powering Up A Pc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Gimme a minute, is there nothing in power management thats where it would most likely be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

nope cant find anyting about wol even dough my mb manual says it supports it!

Check the Index for references to WOL, Wake Up

Looking at the manual myself here i could be a few minutes at least, 56ker

heres whats in the mb manual about the power managment! no mention of wol!

What does it say about PME event Wake up?

Also, just being curious, go into Device manager and go to the properties of the lan controller and Tick "allows the device to bring the computer out of standby". I actually have that ticked, could make a difference

• Advertisement

it says. also i have that ticked as well!

It mentions that you can enable WOL throught the ModemRingOn/WakeOnLAN. Fiddle with that

The PME Event Wake Up needs a white(3pin) WOL connector on the motherboard (located around the PCI Slots) The power connection is because PCI has no power going through it during shutdown. The onboard lan chip can

Also, look at the layout page of the motherboard, usually one with the jumper settings, it shows positions of all jumpers, more importantly connection header, see if it has a WOL there somewhere around the PCI, save ya the bother of opening the PC up

a

b

f**k anyhow just after finding a fault! it wont turn on the pc after it has been shutdown! i can get it to work if i turn on the pc then turn it off straight away! ah balls to it anyhow!

• Advertisement

You have it booting from power off or stand by?

As for shutting down afterwards http://www.tightvnc.com/

booting from power off if i turn on the pc then turn it off straight away! wont boot after i shut it down! thanks for the link! any ideas on how to sort this! i must be wrecking you head at this stage!

Wait now, you have the main rig in power off state. You send the magic packet and she boots. Your problem now is shutting down. I havent used tightvnc in years cant remember but ill download it and jog my memory.

I dont understand the turning on then turn it off straight away bit, whats going on there?

ya it will boot up if i turn of the pc with the power button the turn it off instantly! but it i shut it down it wont boot up with the magic packet! quiet strange! there must be an explanation to it! that prog seems a bit weird. il have to read up on it!

TightVNC

Install on both Computers

On the Main Rig
    To make a machine accessible even if there is no user logged in, and to make the server start automatically after reboot, the TightVNC server should be running as a Windows service. To install WinVNC service, choose Programs->TightVNC->Administration->Install VNC Service.

Run it and set your own password(Havo to use a password im afraid)

On Laptop

Run the TightVNC Viewer and enter the main rig's network name and password. You can now see the main rigs desktop you can shut down now or move files, anything you like! :D :cool:

ya it will boot up if i turn of the pc with the power button the turn it off instantly! but it i shut it down it wont boot up with the magic packet! quiet strange! there must be an explanation to it! that prog seems a bit weird. il have to read up on it!

Go into Power Options> Advanced

What is the Power Button set to do? Try setting it to shutdown. Press the power button will start the shutdown. Holding it for 3 seconds will cut the power, not shutdown.

lets see if i have this right. if i shut down my main rig ya can send the magic packet but it will not turn on but if i put it into hibernation i can send the magic packet it will turn it on! at least thats whats happing to me! maybe there is still something i need to do to get it to turn on when it has been shutdown?!

Hibernate and Stand dont need magic packets. All they need is the Network card set to "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" (Device Manger> Network card Properties> Power Management. Another PC on the Network trying to access the hibernating PC's resources will awaken it.

You want the to be able to boot up the PC from a Powered Off State. This has to be done from the BIOS. I was able to do this with my onboard lan by going into the BIOS(BIOS>Power Management>.Wake On LAN [Enabled])

You cant seem to find this setting...

What are the possible settings for that Wake On Ring?

ya no that image i posted up of my power managment setup from my mb manual? i have everything enabled except power on by mouse and power on by keyboard also resume by alarm!

Where does your manual say it supports it? Gimme another scan please, they are helpful

• Advertisement

il get back to ya in a few mins. need to reinstall the drivers for the scanner. winVNC made a pure dick of some of my files last night for some very strange reason!!

heres where it says it!

Its there somewhere. Check the index and see where else the manual refers to WOL and Have another look in the BIOS its in there somewhere. It has to be

ok to get u up to speed i have just enabled in the power management that the my mouse or keyboard can turn on my main rig and guess what? they bloody well work? could it be that i cannot get the laptop to ping the main rig and vice versa that is causing such bloody trouble? the mouse and keyboard are both wireless (logitec mx duo)

ok i can now definetly turn on my main rig with my laptop! dont know what is was! i re-entered the IP Broadcast Adrress into the magic packet utility! its working now but now i have to figure out how to work that program to shutdown the main rig from the laptop!

I changed the IP broadcast packet and it didnt work. I then used the default and it worked fine. Did you by any chance change it??

BTW, The keyboard and mouse have to be connected to the PS/2 connectors in order for that work, not USB. AFAIK.

TightVNC is quite easy to use. Follow the intructions i gave you about it. I was able to turn my PC using another, do stuff then shut down the computer without having to go near it:)

Dempsey wrote:
    TightVNC

Install on both Computers

On the Main Rig
    To make a machine accessible even if there is no user logged in, and to make the server start automatically after reboot, the TightVNC server should be running as a Windows service. To install WinVNC service, choose Programs->TightVNC->Administration->Install VNC Service.

Run it and set your own password(Havo to use a password im afraid)

On Laptop

Run the TightVNC Viewer and enter the main rig's network name and password. You can now see the main rigs desktop you can shut down now or move files, anything you like! :D :cool:

ok have done what you said to do on the main rig. where do you enter the main rig's network name and password on the laptop? thanks for all your help and paticence it has been really helpful and informative!

There is a icon in the taskbar, right click and properties change password and apply

how do you know what you are shutting down? laptop or mian rig? is there some way to tell?

• Advertisement

You'll be using the laptop. You'll have the TightVNC window up and you'll be looking at the main rig's desktop. When you shutdown the connection will be terminated. Give it a few test runs

Advertisement