Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I don't mean to nit-pick but...

• 05-01-2005 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

I've just rewatched the first episode of sg1 and a few things struck me as being slightly odd...

When the Goa'uld attack the sgc and make a grab for the female soldier how do they dial out? They don't seem to leave the gate room, and reinforcements are there fairly quickly.

Another thing..

If you compare gate travel now to the first episode, how come the gate doesn't accelerate people as much now as it did then? When people exit the wormhole they are thrown onto the ground, while now they calmly step out.

And what happened to the cold? After Carter's first trip her face was all iced up due to rejoining her molecules? Why doesn't this happen anymore either?

Maybe I should get out more :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've a feeling they tried to explain the ice away muttering something about readjusting for temporal drift (in reality it was too expensive to achieve each week), something Carter mentions occasionally in Season 1.

As to acceleration - it's more a rule that momentum is preserved when going through the gate (I know this has been covered before, but I can't recall offhand, although for some reason the Aschen 2001/2010 episodes seem to ring a bell).

The Goa'uld dialling out... no easy explanation there because we've never really seen a remote dialing device like that outside of the real heavyweights like the Nox...

I've noticed a couple of concepts, like that, that were introduced in S1's early days were gradually phased out in favour of something more manageable (earlier episodes had Daniel trying to figure language roots more, for example). I'll let it slide, even if I'd appreciate some sort of retcon explaining it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ye they never did dial out but meh i dont mind im glad tyhe gouauld didnt have auto gate dial tech

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

I've been thinking about having a thread like this for awhile.

Maybe someone can figure this one out for me!

In Season one, Bloodlines, Teal'c returns to Chulak to stop the implentation of his son, but ends up giving his own symbiote to Rya'c. Mean while Sam and Daniel get another one which they end up giving to Teal'c to save his life.

Grand job!

But then in 4.04(Crossroads) Shan'Auc discovers how to communicate with her symbiote and Teal'c does the same. He sees his fathers death through the eyes(or mind) of his symbiote. But how could this be as that symbiote was given to Rya'c. I know the whole genetic memory thing could be the answer but that would mean all Goa'uld would know the lives off all the other Goa'uld not just about technology and stuff!

I hope this makes a bit of scenes to someone.....

OmegaRed that one's been bothering for me ages and I can't proffer any explanation. It must be a slipup by the writers. I remember noticing it at the time and thinking "But hold on a second...".

If we're trying to push an explanation, we could look at Gateworld.net's take on the subject and say that the new Goa'uld is spawned from Cronus' line rather than Apophis. Now that would mean that i) Cronus' line had to reach Chulak somehow and be placxed into a chamber and ii) The same Goa'uld had to somehow be witness to Teal'c's father's death. That's a bit of a stretch if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

If you compare gate travel now to the first episode, how come the gate doesn't accelerate people as much now as it did then? When people exit the wormhole they are thrown onto the ground, while now they calmly step out.

And what happened to the cold? After Carter's first trip her face was all iced up due to rejoining her molecules? Why doesn't this happen anymore either?

that one was explained... the reason for it (and the fact they could only dial one gate at the time) was due to movement of planets... once they compensated for this gate travel got a lot easier , and they could access all the other gates ....

i think it was sam figured it out when she saw all the gate addresses in the caves...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i didn't watch it again coz of those reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

i didn't watch it again coz of those reasons
    What reasons?

Yeah the show has a few bloopers in the beginning alright, say the first episode there last week and was thinnking the same myself but feck it, its a great show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

A wizard did it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Maybe I should get out more :confused:
    Maybe you should.
    Its not real you know ;)
    The first series is allowed to be inconsistent rubbish.
    Example star trek:tng series 1 big purple hands in space :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 sweep_101

Someone can correct me if im wrong but does Apophis not order one of his guards to dial out, I asume the gate is still connected to the power generator so they probably dialed out from the control room or manually(like SG1 has done on several occasions,series1 The Torment of Tantalus for instance), just a a few thoughts :cool:

bullman you do need to get out more!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I'm annoyed by how little the goa'uld jaffa serpeant headgear is used in the current seasons, it looked so cool. It's the small things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Well, the serpent was the symbol of Apophis and the horse was the symbol of Her'uer. I assume since Apophis was killed, and Her'uer demoted, they just went out of fashion! The old system lords (Ra, Chronus, Apophis, Nerti, Sokar, Yu, and Her'uer) had been around for a long, long time. The new batch such as Ba'al and the others are infants by comparison, and probably haven't had the time to develop such affectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Also in the earlier series' the Iris could only be closed after a woemhole had formed but lately it seems a wormhole can be formed while its closed. I dont think they gave any explanation for that one, did they????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

toiletduck wrote:
    Also in the earlier series' the Iris could only be closed after a woemhole had formed but lately it seems a wormhole can be formed while its closed. I dont think they gave any explanation for that one, did they????

Ya this one kinda bothered me too. I would have thought the blast wave from a wormhole woulda destroyed the iris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I think it was said that because the iris is so close to the event horizon of the wormhole that the blast wave can’t materialize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Wow..... I love stargate.. Watch it as much as I can. I'd say I was a fan... But after reading some of this threads... especially this one... I have to go home and do some homework.......... hmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

They probably gave an explanation for this somewhere and i missed it but when the iris opens where does it go to. It slides away from the wormhole and seems to disappear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 sweep_101

TBH I never really cared being a good effect but this may help
    It seems to withdraw into that empty space inside the ring. Look closely next time you see the gate deactivated; there's a little gap between the front and the back, with a ridge between them. Presumeably, that ridge is the system that actually creates the wormhole event horizon (and thus marks exactly where it will form). There looks to be about a finger's-width of space on either side of it. Probably just enough to hide the iris.

Found this here

SO many search engines why not use them? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Dragging this up again...

I was watching stargate today(nothing unusual there) and it was the second episode with the ashen - which got me thinking back to the original episode.

Basically, they had to send a note back in time because they couldn't send a radio message because the gate automated defence system had an em field to dampen the radio so it wouldn't work.

How then does the gdo work? isn't it radio based too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

id imagine is a secure frequency for the gdo, some sort of encrypted frequency.

• Advertisement

I'd safely imagine that it's encripted alright.

But how is the signal sent through a damping field, which by it's nature would block all radio signals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Horatio

You do need to get out more Bullman,
    Who cares when the episode was so coola. . . . and we're walking !

In the episode where they go back to 1969, how come they appeared in the missile silo instead of coming out of the stargate in storage? apart from the fact that the episode wouldn't have been as good! ;)

toiletduck wrote:
    In the episode where they go back to 1969, how come they appeared in the missile silo instead of coming out of the stargate in storage? apart from the fact that the episode wouldn't have been as good! ;)
    Well they *did* step out temporarily into their present day but then the time shift caught up with them. They thus jumped back to the gateroom as it was in 1969 - a missile silo.

then how come when they returned to the future, they didnt arrive in the warehouse, that the stargate was in in 1969?

toiletduck wrote:
    then how come when they returned to the future, they didnt arrive in the warehouse, that the stargate was in in 1969?
    Because umm.... because. Just because. So there :p

ixoy wrote:
    Because umm.... because. Just because. So there :p

I think the phrase you're looking for is "because the script says so!" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

how about because its tv made by people and every now and again someone screws something up because its made up, and nobody is perfect?

don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan, but you have to give them some leeway because they are writing new things all the time and trying to come up with stuff. jees give the poor guys a break!

vibe666 wrote:
    jees give the poor guys a break!

never! sure it's great fun picking out bits that dont make sense!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Flux

toiletduck wrote:

They did not return to 1999 first time around. They arrived in some building (possibly there warehouse) in the 2050's. Cassandra then sends them back to the gate room in 1999. Humans have better time travelling ability by then and can send them directly to the gate room. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Horatio

Actually if you look around it was the gateroom in the future just covered over
    with tarps, have to agree technically they should have arrived in the warehouse
    with the gate but a bigger question is where did Tel'c get that wig ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ajmurphy62

In season 5 finale Revelations, Jack and Teal'c are walking down some corridors in the Goa'uld mothership, Sam is on the planet with Heimdall...

Now look at the pic below, we can see Sam squatting at a corner while J and T are passing along without paying attention to her. The very next scene shows Sam appearing with the holographic communication device.
    So, obviously, on the pic, Amanda Tapping was prepping for her next scene but she appeared in the frame : big shooting error here.

post-16-1078490069.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

ixoy wrote:
    OmegaRed that one's been bothering for me ages and I can't proffer any explanation. It must be a slipup by the writers. I remember noticing it at the time and thinking "But hold on a second...".

If we're trying to push an explanation, we could look at Gateworld.net's take on the subject and say that the new Goa'uld is spawned from Cronus' line rather than Apophis. Now that would mean that i) Cronus' line had to reach Chulak somehow and be placxed into a chamber and ii) The same Goa'uld had to somehow be witness to Teal'c's father's death. That's a bit of a stretch if you ask me.
    Bearing in mind that I only have the DVD Series 1 to go by (I'm a little late, I know :D Damn you, lack of Sky), but I believe the wording Teal'c used when explaining this is that each Gua'uld is born with the knowledge of all before it. Unless it has been specified to be only the knowledge of the lineage in a later series, this would be seen to be all Gua'uld knowledge, so it would work.

but I believe the wording Teal'c used when explaining this is that each Gua'uld is born with the knowledge of all before it. Unless it has been specified to be only the knowledge of the lineage in a later series, this would be seen to be all Gua'uld knowledge, so it would work.
    Well Carter describes it as genetic memory. Therefore a Goa'uld would possess all the knowledge of its forefathers but not those of a differnet lineage - this, at least, makes some scientific sense and the 'Dune' series used something similar with Maud'dib. Therefore a Goa'uld born of the line of Hathor/Ra should not have the memories of the line of Cronos line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

What about seeing a Puddle Jumper take a huge pounding from a Ha'tac (It's Good to be King) then in the Broterhood, it couldn't withstand more than one shot from a Wraith Dart. Even though we see it take several shots from two Darts in 'Before I Sleep', before it gets busted up.

• Advertisement

Course there is the whole '100 Days' thing where Teal'c fires a rope through the Stargate and it attaches on the other side while he's still in the SGC, yet in '38 Minutes the' Puddle Jumper won't go through the gate.

And in 'Citizen Joe' why didn't Jack recognise Joe from the beginning if he had been having visions of Joes life aswell.

And in 'Citizen Joe' why didn't Jack recognise Joe from the beginning if he had been having visions of Joes life aswell.

maybe Joe didn't look in the mirror much, or when jack was near the artifact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

ixoy wrote:
    As to acceleration - it's more a rule that momentum is preserved when going through the gate (I know this has been covered before, but I can't recall offhand, although for some reason the Aschen 2001/2010 episodes seem to ring a bell).

Was gonna say that - The momentum when entering the gate is transfered so if you jump throw you would appear to be 'thrown' out at the other side, though if you watch the Fifth Race(season2 episode 15), O'Niel steps through but is thrown out at the Asgard Gate - noticed this myself - continuity errors I put it down to
    The Goa'uld dialling out... no easy explanation there because we've never really seen a remote dialing device like that outside of the real heavyweights like the Nox...
    Well the Nox don't use 'Remote Devices' as such. They sort of 'Think' it? (See Enigma season 1-episode 16) In the final scene, Lia opens a worm hole in this way.
    In the episode you are refering to Apothis gives an order and then the scene cuts to a load of Guards running to the gateroom. They never show how the wormhole was re-opened.
    I've noticed a couple of concepts, like that, that were introduced in S1's early days were gradually phased out in favour of something more manageable (earlier episodes had Daniel trying to figure language roots more, for example). I'll let it slide, even if I'd appreciate some sort of retcon explaining it myself.

Theres a few contrdictions and stuff that doesn't quite add up sometimes. Continuity gets lost sometimes I feel but overall it's an amazing concept and fair cuedos to the guy's who dreamed it up

Advertisement