Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars on eBay - what's the story ?

Options
  • 05-01-2005 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with cars on eBay being sold with no reserve ?

Ok, if it was an old car you could understand the logic, but why would anybody sell a 2001 Vauxhall with 30k miles, with NO RESERVE ???

Why not advertise it in a paper ? ..........surely get more that way ?

Or are eBay advertised cars all a bit dodgy (or dodgy sellers) ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

I wouldnt be surprised if they just make up an excuse to not sell for a low price, most auctions have something like "note: This car is advertised elsewhere, and I reserve the right to end the sale blah blah"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Seems from talking to guys in clubs im with in UK, its a waste of time buying a car on ebay. If it sells too low, they just wont give it to you - as seen on 300zx.co.uk recently.
    I was looking at buying in November and every car I bid on was withdrawn from sale - 11 in total, for various reasons such as mistake in listing etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I agree with what's been written so far, an awful lot of ebay car auctions fall through with the seller withdrawing the car if he thinks he's not going to get enough for it or else making up some excuse after the auction finishes. It is unfair and completely against the "spirit" of ebay.

The reason they don't put reserves on the auctions or start them at a sensible opening bid is AFAIK ebay charges sellers more if they do this. So the sellers list cars with no reserve with a £1.00 starting bid and then "shill bid" the auction up to a higher price. Scabby cardealers (and that's what they are, very few private sales) will do anything to save a few quid.

BrianD3

Advertisement