Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Options
  • 05-01-2005 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

*Snip*

Anyone else given it a listen?

I will definitely be buying it on vinyl.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

It a good album alright very hevally post punk influenced without making a complete balls of it as some recent post punk bands have(im looking at you the rapture).
    one of the most promising debuts ive heard in a while will be going to see them on the 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

these are gonna be big this year i can feel it.

they'll be like the killers of 2005

i like the Ep they had out before the album "little thoughts" is a class song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Yeah I think they are cool
    The Franz Ferdinand of 2005 imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't think they'll be as big as FF which is probably a good thing; I liked FF until they broke and were absolutely EVERYWHERE.

I didn''t get a ticket in time for the BP gig next week :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I like the stuff that I have heard from Bloc Party, so hopefully they will join the enless list of amazing Britsh bands that have exploded out of nowhere within the past 12 months or so. I heard somewhere that ''Little Thoughts'' isn't on the album. Why is that? Its amazing tune. I think they are playing at Whelan's next month. Might well check them out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

love this band. cannot wait for the album. can't go to the bloody gig though. helicopter is one of my favourite songs ever.

and yeah they're going to be huge. was flicking through the tellybox the other day and saw mtv playing little thoughts (i think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Yeah was probably little thoughts
    Zane you have to admit theres a lot of talent in this 'explosion' of new british bands
    The Libertines
    Franz Ferdinand
    Razorlight
    The Killers
    Kasabian
    Bloc Party

Repli wrote:
    Yeah was probably little thoughts
    Zane you have to admit theres a lot of talent in this 'explosion' of new british bands
    The Libertines
    Franz Ferdinand
    Razorlight
    The Killers
    Kasabian
    Bloc Party

Every band you listed there I am a massive fan of. The Libertines are my favourite band of all time and even though they are not exavctly new on the scene (been around since 2002), It is so sad what has happened to them with regards to Pete's problems but I have no doubt that someday the good ship Albion will once again hit the seas and continue on its glorious voyage.

With Franz, Razorlight, The Killers (I know they are American but they do sound British) and Kasabian all I can say is ....what fcuking brilliant debut albums these bands have released this year! These four bands are all the real deal and will have glorious careers ahead of them and with Franz definitely releasing a new album this year and possibilities of new albums aswell from the other three, 2005 is certain to be another amazing year for these acts.

There is no doubt that Bloc Party are going to achieve similar success in 2005 and I am sooo looking forward to Silent Alarm, its gonna be great. Also watch out for a band called Kaiser Chiefs. I adore their first two singles, they sound a bit like Franz with a Britpop sound and they are going to be huge aswell.

Long live British music!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

BBC seem to think that The Bravery will be the new hotness for 2005. I like "Unconditional" and their new single (can't remember the name), but I dunno will they be as big as The Killers et al. They're from New York I think.

Here's Bloc Party's Silent Alarm tracklist:
    1. Like Eating Glass
    2. Helicopter
    3. Positive Tension
    4. Banquet
    5. Blue Light
    6. She's Hearing Voices
    7. This Modern Love
    8. Pioneers
    9. Price of Gas
    10. So Here We Are
    11. Luno
    12. Plans
    13. Compliments

Strange all right how Little Thoughts isn't on it, although I do prefer Helicopter and Banquet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 niallo22

have to agree with everyone here about bloc party,*Snip*,been raving about it to everyone of my mates since,it grows on you more and more the more you listen,they are always the best type of albums,is their gig in whelans sold out?

• Advertisement

niallo22 wrote:
    have to agree with everyone here about bloc party,downloaded their album off the net,been raving about it to everyone of my mates since,it grows on you more and more the more you listen,they are always the best type of albums,is their gig in whelans sold out?

Unfortunately it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

*Snip*

Hope they are not 'The Killers' of 2005 though....The Killers are cheeeeeesy and far too melodramatic for my liking. The lyrics are terrible too...

"Well somebody told me
    You had a boyfriend
    Who looks like a girlfriend
    That I had in February of last year
    It's not confidential
    I've got potential"

riiiiight :p

Eth0 your name isnt Joanne is it ?

[edit] Didnt realise how old this thread was :(

Tusky wrote:
    *Snip*

Hope they are not 'The Killers' of 2005 though....The Killers are cheeeeeesy and far too melodramatic for my liking. The lyrics are terrible too...

"Well somebody told me
    You had a boyfriend
    Who looks like a girlfriend
    That I had in February of last year
    It's not confidential
    I've got potential"

riiiiight :p

Eth0 your name isnt Joanne is it ?

[edit] Didnt realise how old this thread was :(

Bloc Party sound nothing like The Killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Bloc Party sound nothing like The Killers.

Aye - been listening to them today, not sure what to make of them yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Well personally i think that LCD sound system are f*ckin amazing, and are going to rock the casbah...if you can check them out-they've this animal track called daft punk is playing at my house-absolutly animal, and the rest of the album is fairly kick ass too, too much love is currently a fav track. other bands i'd love to see get big would be the chalets(krazy kids), or the departure. Hopefully matching the sucess of the zutons, franz ferdinand and killers of 2004...but cant really see it happening for the last 2 but ya never know...

bloc party are still growing on me tho..their second last single i wasn't too keen on but the current ones pretty good.

theres only one brandon flowers...sigh ;)

Alana wrote:
    Well personally i think that LCD sound system are f*ckin amazing, and are going to rock the casbah...if you can check them out-they've this animal track called daft punk is playing at my house-absolutly animal, and the rest of the album is fairly kick ass too, too much love is currently a fav track. other bands i'd love to see get big would be the chalets(krazy kids), or the departure. Hopefully matching the sucess of the zutons, franz ferdinand and killers of 2004...but cant really see it happening for the last 2 but ya never know...

bloc party are still growing on me tho..their second last single i wasn't too keen on but the current ones pretty good.

theres only one brandon flowers...sigh ;)

Ok I know I've heard of them, heard they are pretty good but I can't recall anything of their tunes. Are they anything like the best band of 05' Bloc Par-tae?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Ok I know I've heard of them, heard they are pretty good but I can't recall anything of their tunes. Are they anything like the best band of 05' Bloc Par-tae?

if by that you mean LCD soundsytem, no they aren't quite like bloc party, they're rocking but with electro and dance thrown in..and...their own highly unique-ness..sounds a bit strange, but it really works.....not really describing them v well here, they just are great.and IMHO they're far better :eek:
    its like rock you can dance too, and dance music with substance that you can listen to on your way to/from work and not feel like an addidas head...
    best thing to do is to listen to someone like jenny houston on 2fm and check 'em out cos shes playing them alot lately...

LSD soundsystem would be a far better name for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well i was only comparing them to the killers as to the height of fame the killers got.

not the actual music comparing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I never heard of them up until a week ago, and I've heard about them loads since. i gotta check them out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement