Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

playing with spiders

• 05-01-2005 9:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

hi

anyone got any tips on handling tarantulas?
    are they likely to disappear up my sleeve or bite me ?

i have for about a month now and am getting more comfortable with the idea, still a little nervous to try anything, and also dont know much about it so im not sure if its a stupid idea etc.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

bump*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

ooo spiders

well man if ur gonna handle it make sure u got the place sorted, they do tend to crawl around and can just about go anywhere.
    and ya dont want it getting out around the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

What kind of tarantula is it exactly, just to be sure it's a (generally) docile type?

They don't particularly like being handled TOO much (like a gerbil), but you can handle most of the docile ones, they should be okay with it.

Don't wear big loose clothing obviously, but other than that just take it easy, go gently, let the spider walk onto your hand instead of grabbing him.

yeah i was thinking if it did bite me id probably drop it and let it escape,
    and then id be in the **** @_@

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~slichti/photos/bugbowl2001/images/photos/Tarantula-01.jpg

its that one, chile rose, i think?

looks fairly calm from the picture i think :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If its one of the more docile species then its a matter of letting the Tarantula walk onto your hand and not try to pick it up.Nudge it in the bum until it walks on to your hand and then keep switching hands and let it walk from one to the other.One thing I will say is watch out for the urticating hairs.They WILL make you itch like F**K.

Also whatever you do dont let the Tarantula fall even if it does have a go at you(Tarantula bites dont kill ;);) )
    A fall of even 3-4 inches can rupture a Tarantulas exoskeleton and kill it.
    Hope this helps.
    Have fun!!!!!!
    Richie

Edit---By the way some Chile Roses were never told that they were supposed to be calm.I had one that was absolutely nuts.Couldnt even open the tank to feed it without it raring up and having a go at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Chilean Rose is meant to be one of the more docile types. Having said that my friend had 2, over a period of a few months, one was incredibly docile, great little spider. The other was a demon, raised it's front legs and showed us it's lovely fangs and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Hellrazer's on the money there.

I had a Chilean Rose for about 5/6 years. Poor thing was an old lady when I got her. Had it's pro's and con's - Pro - she was huge! Con - she didn't have long left, poor dear!

Docile she was not - angry little f*****r! Be careful when you are about to pick her up. Make sure she knows what's coming or you're for it! Prod her gently with a 'long' implement to get her in the mood.

Hard thing to imagine; not dropping a big hairy spider when it bites you, but heh, there you go.

The hairs never really bothered me much, but I gave the tank to a friend when old Spindle rolled on her back and pointed her 40 little toes to heaven. He got the mother and father of a rash just trying to wash the tank.

What are you using for sub-strata? Vermiculite?
    Heating? I know a guy who used a red incandecent bulb, in the tank, on builders sand - not to be recommended in any shape or form!

Anyway, good luck with it. let us know how you get on.

Advertisement