Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 minutes silence

• 05-01-2005 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this isn't the correct forum, but there are conflicting reports about this 3 minute silence today. Officially it would appear it's supposed to start at 12noon GMT, but the RTE site says 11am. Anyone shed any light?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

our company is doing it a 11am today.
    didn't really look into it myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

were doing it at eleven aswell

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

11am here and the Irish Independent states that the Prez is leading the country in a 3 minutes silence. 11am where friends are working too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

11am aswell here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It's 11am here as it's 12pm CET.
    What England are doing with 12 GMT - I dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

are company is at 11.00am also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

OK, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Yup -el presidente says 11am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

we are doing it at 12 for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

ok it's suppsosed to be a 3 min silence.. the radio only had a 1 min silence :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Radio probably didn't want to loose revenue....

The silence here was a joke and folks continued to chat... Oh well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

11 was for Ireland and 12 is for the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

yeah we just had it in a lecture a few mins ago, so I'm pretty sure it was 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

egan007 wrote:
    Yup -el presidente says 11am

And people say she does nothing ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

yeah we just had it in a lecture a few mins ago, so I'm pretty sure it was 11

its suppose to be 12 CET ... so its the same all across europe.... but lots of companies seem to be doing it at 12....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

We had it at 11, and guess what? We got a call from a UK customer smack bang in the middle of it. They're doing it at 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

thats why we take the phone off the hook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Barney: How long was that?

Moe: 5 seconds.

Barney: Do we have to start over?

Moe: Hell no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

TmB wrote:
    They're doing it at 12.

we had it at 12 due to handling UK calls and there was 4 of them in the queue for the 3 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

To be honest, I think the people over there don't really need a 3 minute silence. How about everyone give a euro day, or something that isn't a load of bullsh*t.

• Advertisement

Yeah not bad dave, but everyone says, "If only I had the time" Well, why not just donate a day's pay instead? That way, whatever bad stuff happens throughout, you're doing good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Heard nothing about it here until 11.03am when I listened to a VM from my gf asking me to mention it to work :D

Far too busy for a minute's silence anyway (not that I wouldn't have observed it, but none of the people ringing us would have).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

our company actually put on the queue message that no calls will be transferred through due to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Wigertoods

When 9/11 happened a national day of mourning was observed.
    approx 150,000 peolpe die in Asia and we observe 3 mins of silence :confused:

Maybe I'm Being cynical but if this disaster happened somewhere on the U.S
    coastline would this be any different.

Wigertoods wrote:
    When 9/11 happened a national day of mourning was observed.
    approx 150,000 peolpe die in Asia and we observe 3 mins of silence :confused:

Maybe I'm Being cynical but if this disaster happened somewhere on the U.S
    coastline would this be any different.
    Thats the sad state of affairs we live in unfortunately.
    America invests heavily in Ireland, Asia does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yeah, and I mean, has anyone, like, considered how much this is going to affect Nike? I'm sure they lost entire factories, sorry sub-contracting business partners in this tragedy... :rolleyes:

We did the three minutes silence and I've signed up for the work for free for a day thing. Would love to see everyone do it, it's a far better help than the National Day of Drinking, sorry, Mourning we had for 9/11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea it was 11 in Ireland and 12 in the rest of europe... At 12, 16 of the 21 tv channels I have were in silence and showing images/messages of sorrow. I rang work in London at twelve... the guy that answered the phone wasn't too impressed that I wasnt taking part :(

john

Advertisement