Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Centre Barbers

Options
  • 05-01-2005 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

As per topic, anyone know of any decent hair cutting establishments? And a price guide for a short back and sides?
    Preferably around St. Stephens Green direction.

Cheers! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

I sometimes go to Knights of the Green in the Stephen's Green Centre (Middle floor). They're by no means the cheapest - think I paid in and around €30 for a wash and cut! :eek:
    They do a decent enough job - friendly staff and quick service.
    Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Theres a place opposite the main Bank of Ireland on Baggot Street ("Baggot Street Barber Shop"?), next to the archway, upstairs. About €15.

go out from the city centre and it drops under €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Indeed. A bit pricey in the City Centre. I normally get mine cut (dry) in Blanchardstown on a Monday/Tuesday reduced rate day (€7) but I dont have that option since I started working in the city centre.

Still... went back to the home sod and got it cut Saturday for €10. I forgot I had ears! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The green Dolphin barber off grafton street, if you're on grafton street with shelbourne hotel on your right, its on the street on your left, and its on the left hand side of that street...sorry i dont know the name of the street....anyway €13 for dry cut, €8 weekdays before 11am if your a student, do a great job every time, been goin there for years, staff are great too....but the real reason to go is possibly the best looking girl i have ever seen in my life works there, and she's always working :D

She's the English girl... Well worth checking out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

South Anne street...and not Shelbourne Hotel....Clarence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

just back from one this minute! went to The Trinity Barber on Trinity St. cost €17.95 for a standard cut. no such thing as a dry cut there, they wash your hair too.

will try that one dubguy22 suggested next time (now that he got the direction right;) ) to check out the hot chick...and for the lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

If ya go accross the ha'penny bridge to the northside the place right in front of ya (blue in colour) does cuts for €6 Mon-Wed

There's a place just off Kevin St just after opening which does em for €10 and 6.50 if you're a student on Mon and Tues I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Ed's Barber shop on abbey street near capel street, a dry cut 8 euro the best Barber in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

Sheppards in Wicklow Street over the Secret Book & Record Shop and beside L'Occitane.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Grafton Barber, cant beat it

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I second that, going there for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

A third reccommendation for the Grafton Barber.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

DubGuy22 wrote:
    South Anne street...and not Shelbourne Hotel....Clarence

Would that not be the westbury hotel?

Grafton barbers is pretty good from what ive heard. Haven't been myself but my flatmate goes there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

This thread is years old -

Where is good and about 15 euros around grafton St these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

I can, Sams barbers rooms just down from ha'penny bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

Cant beat bedford stuy at central bank... 16 quid student bit steep for full price but best barbers iv ever been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

There's a few (Talbot St, Gardiner St, North Fredrick St, Dorset St) that do a dry cut for €5 during the week now. Handy if like me it's just a razor on the back & sides and bit off the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Danye wrote: »
    Yep. James in there is the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭shezza

There is a new barbers opened just off Grafton st down the lane where Applebly's is http://www.irishbarber.com/about-us.html I used to work with the guy who's run's it and he's an excellent barber his name is Adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

Doublin wrote: »
    There's a few (Talbot St, Gardiner St, North Fredrick St, Dorset St) that do a dry cut for €5 during the week now. Handy if like me it's just a razor on the back & sides and bit off the top.
    Are the dorset st barbers any use? Was thinking its a bit too cheap, they might butcher your hair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

malin182 wrote: »
    Are the dorset st barbers any use? Was thinking its a bit too cheap, they might butcher your hair!

My 2 buddies run a place on Dorset Street. Between them they have over 30 years experience and have worked all over the world and in the high end barber shops of Dublin.

Don't let the price In these areas put you off. They are priced accordingly to the area, rents and clientele. 5 quid Mon-Wed and 10 on other days and you will get the same standard of haircut as any other shop in town. But don't expect a flat screen TV or beer while you are waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Histie

dario28 wrote: »
    This thread is years old -

Where is good and about 15 euros around grafton St these days ?

The nearest that fulfils those criteria that I know of is the Waldorf on Westmoreland St. It's €15 for a student, about €17 otherwise. It's an old-fashioned barbershop and good value.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

I went to Sams Barbers on Dorset st one day recently, and have to say probably wont return. Friendly enough but I was told I had to have my hair washed because of the gel (I never use much, any other barber simply sprayed water on my hair and was fine with it), he didnt take much off, said himself it was "deadly" and then charged what seemed to be a complete off the top of his head €17.

Now you might say I should have spoken up but I didnt realise how little he took off until I was home, I dont get that sorta carry on, isnt the aim to get the person back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

There's one on the South Quays too, just up from the Ha'penny Bridge (going away from O'Connell Bridge) 5 euro all week I think, been twice, happy twice - I have the same needs as yourself :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Danye wrote: »

Sorry to be bumping up an old thread. Another vote for Sams here.

Anybody know the name of the Polish barber working there? I want to book an appointment with him but forget his name.
    Got a hair cut from him a few months back & it was one of the best I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

pm1977x wrote: »
    There's one on the South Quays too, just up from the Ha'penny Bridge (going away from O'Connell Bridge) 5 euro all week I think, been twice, happy twice - I have the same needs as yourself :cool:

Dillons on Wellington Quay. A fiver and a very good cut.

Paying €15 or more is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

malin182 wrote: »
    I went to Sams Barbers on Dorset st one day recently, and have to say probably wont return. Friendly enough but I was told I had to have my hair washed because of the gel (I never use much, any other barber simply sprayed water on my hair and was fine with it), he didnt take much off, said himself it was "deadly" and then charged what seemed to be a complete off the top of his head €17.

Now you might say I should have spoken up but I didnt realise how little he took off until I was home, I dont get that sorta carry on, isnt the aim to get the person back?

I went there last year and the main barber, let's call him Sam, cut my hair and like you I was made get a wash, even though I had no gel in it. He told me the monkey hat I wore made my hair dirty, like a fool I believed him. It cost the same price, €17, but in fairness he did give a great hair cut.

Anyways when I went for my next chop, not at Sams, I said to the stylist, I probably need a wash, as I had hair gel in. To which she replied, not at all. I explained what happened Sams and she told me he was just doing it to get more cash out of me.

So today I decided as I was in the area to go back to Sam's, I also needed a hair cut. So I went in and Sam was there working on someone else. A younger guy came out and Sam said it's ok I'll take him cause he needs a wash. wtf, how he could have presumed this is beyond me. I replied "I don't need a wash I'm here for a dry cut". To which he replied alright so. Anyways to cut a long story short the younger guy cut my hair, and to be fair he did a good job and was very nice. However when he finished he was going to let me leave the shop with spray soaked hair, I asked him would he dry it for me and honestly I seen him make faces towards Sam, as if, what does this ****er expect for an €8 hair cut. So after he dried it in didn't bother asking for a bit of gel, god forbid. Felt a bit bad not tipping mind you.

I would not recommend going there. They advertise €8 haircut Monday/Tuesday. They'll try make you get a wash to bring the cost up or treat you like a peasant for taking up their "amazing" offer!

Advertisement