Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Console and Why?

Options
  • 05-01-2005 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to the modded xBox we have here, I've been rediscovering the joys of the N64, Snes and Genesis. Out of all the games I have (and that includes the xBox ones) I just keep coming back to the old Snes classics. Not only do I get to re-live playing my old favourites, but thanks to the translation efforts by some, we can now play the Japanese games that never made it here. My favourite games? Clock Tower (possibly one of the greatest survival horror games ever made), Tactics Ogre (I'm addicted to this), Actraiser (Short but oh so sweet) and of course, Sim City. It's just a shame that the sucessor to the Snes, the N64 was such a disapointment. After playing Mario Kart and Mario 64 et all, they just felt like shoddy (but very pretty) rip-off's from Snes games.

What gaming machine do you love and what are your favourite games?

Your favourite console? 80 votes

Playstation 2
    0% 0 votes
    xBox
    10% 8 votes
    Gamecube
    16% 13 votes
    Dreamcast
    18% 15 votes
    Playstaion
    5% 4 votes
    Saturn
    5% 4 votes
    N64
    1% 1 vote
    Snes
    12% 10 votes
    Mega Drive
    22% 18 votes
    Other (specify)
    8% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dreamcast for me. Not exactly sure why - I mean it played host to some of the best games ever created - Shenmue 1 & 2, Ikaruga, Power Stone 1 & 2, Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arcadia etc, but there's something more than that. Maybe it's the fact that owning it since it's release, I knew it was the underdog. Maybe it's the fact that it was my first online gaming experience or or maybe it's the 121 games I bought for it, most for less than a fiver after it was dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

SNES and Megadrive (hard to decide between the two), but that's probably nostalgia speaking. Many many wasted hours :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Hmmm that's a TOUGH one. Having grown up with 2 brothers, between us we have had all the consoles above (and still have 'em except for MegaDrive).

I love something about all of them, SNES for Chrono Trigger and all the other classic Squaresoft RPGs...
    MegaDrive had some brilliant games, like Gunstar Heroes & Streets of Rage.
    Dreamcast was VERY underrated, but I still play it from time to time, along with Saturn stuff -- Sega had some killer games!!

I think SNES & MegaDrive 90s was probably my favourite period of gaming, I really could kill my brother for trading the MegaDrive in for silly PS1 :(

Currently I'm probably playing XBox the most, with GameCube in 2nd place... that'll soon change with Resident Evil 4 ;)

I think Playstation 1/2 is the least impressive console on the list, BUT it did provide the breakthrough for the videogame market, seems like everyone plays these days. Meh to Sony in general though (except when they have exclusive survival horror like Forbidden Siren, damn them!) :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to say the Snes. Nintendo had most of their best stuff on that machine and there were loads of excellent games from other companies on it.

The PS1 however has some of my favourite games ever on it and loads of fantastic RPGs.

And I love my modded Japanese Sega Saturn. Its a hardcore gamers dream with loads of excellent arcade perfect conversions. And of course there's the sublime Radiant Silvergun and Panzer Dragoon Azel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Other: Atari Jaguar.
    Just kidding. It was probably the Playstation. The nes, snes, megadrive etc, were things I only ever played at other people's houses. And though at the time they were the holy grail of entertainment for me, the PS was the first console I owned and the one I got the most hours of fun from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

snes cos it had zelda link to the past with all brilliance altho I'd prolly have a very very veyr very close second of the N64 with all it's brill games

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

n64. goldeneye and zelda ocarina of time. either of these games alone make the n64 worthwhile.

nes. one reason, mario 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Other: PC Engine. Mainly because of Gunhed. What a great shooter. Also it had great versions of some of my favourite arcade games; Shinobi (minus the inter level shruiken shoot-out), Vigilante and Ninja Warriors to name but a few.

And the size out it!!! I don't think any other console has come close to being smaller that the original white version (although I could be wrong).

Too bad it never got a proper release on these shores :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

a broken one thats my fave coz then no body starts to play it a 4 am when i'm trying to sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Defo megadrive, I loved the whole nintendo v sega times they where really exciting and seeing as few could afford both you either loved the snes or the megadrive and you totally hated the other. I loved the arguments in school over which version of mortal kombat 2 was better the snes for the sound or the megadrive for the blood.

Nowadays its simply ps2 for everyone and you get the xbox as a second colsole when you realise how rubish the ps2 is in general. The competition is gone that made them days so fun, and its unlikly to come back again although im hoping microsoft can do something with x box 2 but i doubt it.

Other, c64 that was simply the best console ever. totally about the gameplay and nothing to do with slick marketing or millions of quid in developing a title. A tape drive and some spare time to code a game and you had a new game that you just sold to a software company and everyone could love. Oh and games cost nothing, 3.99 and you had a new game you cant even buy a mag with demo for that now, god im getting old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

yeah kristok I second the c64... and u could get a book from the library with programs for games with descriptions like "be the astronaut to save the world from attacking aliens" Deadly!!!! Spend next 3 hours diligently typing poke this and that and sprite this and seemingly endless random numbers.

Then finished.... woohoo.... "run" game to be presented with a number 0 representing yur state of the art spaceship being attacked by the falling letter X's. Oh the anguish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

n64. goldeneye and zelda ocarina of time. either of these games alone make the n64 worthwhile.

my sentiments exactly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Have to say I have 100s of 16-bit games on my PC and none of them are that good once you get over the nostalgia(even multiplayer micromachines, which I long thought was the pinnacle of home entertainment), apart from the RPGs.

I loved the Commodore 64, but again going back and actually playing the games again(even minus the load times thanks to the wonderful world of emulation) really makes me wonder how I ever played them at all.

So I have to pick PS2, PS1 would be better only I still play my PS1 games on the PS2 and the PS2 pad is weightier and more comfortable than the PS1 ones(by the end of PS1 era I think it's pads were basically the same as PS2 is now, but they're not the ones I used), for the sheer quantity of quality(I know people use the quality>quantity argument, but there's nothing wrong with having both) games there has never been a console to match the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

PSP: Cant wait till everybody's tried one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I would have to say the n64, for body harvest, ocarina of time, mario 64 and all the other great games i can't think of right now. I would have said the saturn, but that's only because it had nights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to say I hated the C64. I longed for a nes with mario 3 and Megaman 2. It had some rubbish arcade conversions. It did have some highlights such as the rowland brothers games and a few arcade conversions that weren't lazy like the puzzle bobble conversion. Guantlet was one of the worse. Most of the levels weren't included. They just let the tape run out around level 50. The spectrum was an inferior machine but have better games and more faithful arcade conversions in terms of the way they played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I would say neo geo for the kof/samurai shodown/art of fighting games
    but best console of all time would have to be Nintendo 64 for zelda, killer instinct, mario 64, perfect dark, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's a tossup between SNES and GameCube for me. SNES had stuff like Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, Super Mario World... Fantastic stuff.
    GameCube? Metroid Prime 1 and 2, F-Zero GX, Zelda Collector's Edition (Ocarina, Majora and the 2 NES games on 1 disc...Genius!), and the funnest multiplayer game ever in Super Smash Bros Melee.
    N64 was cool too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Never actually owned a SNES, played my friend's a lot though and preferred it to my Megadrive, I did have a NES and back in those days money was a lot more scarce so I couldn't own every console like I do now. I'm pretty sure I've played every great SNES game in one form or another over the years though.

I didn't get on too well with the N64, hated Goldeneye(well I only played it in multiplayer but it was enough to put me off buying it), didn't particularly like Zelda, preferred the older version of Mario Kart, Mario 64 was good but I still prefer him in his side-scrolling days.

The Gamecube is a great console, it deserves to sell so much better than it does, but it's still second to PS2 for me. PS2(including its backwards compatibility) has the entire Final Fantasy series(well nearly), the Suikoden series, Gran Turismo, the GTA series, the Broken Sword series, Burnout, the best of the Metal Gear series, Tony Hawks, Smackdown, Pro Evo, Tekken, Wipeout, the list goes on and on.

The above aren't all PS-exclusive but the best in each series, or the original, have been PSX or PS2 based. I dont think there's ever been another console with such a rich catalogue of titles available for it. Once Monkeyball comes it will be perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I have owned the Atari 2600, NES, Sega Megadrive, PlayStation, PS2 and Xbox so far, (not counting hand helds) and my favorite has to be my current one, the Xbox.
    Not only for it's own games and the endless entertainment on Live! but for it ability, or inability to withstand, modding.
    Enabling us to play all of our old favorites, thanks to MIME and other emulators. So it is the present, future and past of gaming in one console!! What more can a body want! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

XBox, but only when properly modded.
    Because:
    It plays games.
    It plays movies.
    It plays music.
    It plays emulators.
    It's cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Has to be the Mega Drive. I used to spend so much time playing the Sonic games and Mortal Kombat. The only modern game that I can play as much is Tony Hawks 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

The snes has my vote because of Super Mario World propably the best platform game ever!, Street Fighter 2, and oh so many more great titles,
    But How come no one has mentioned the Sega Master System 2 "Alex the kid in a miricle world" best game ever made :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Saga - Because it has so many brillent games

I would have voted N64 just because of goldeneye except saga games are bttter then goldeneye

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Voted GameCube. Metroid Prime, Mario Kart DD, Monkey Ball, Wind Waker, Resi Evil, etc. etc....

I also got OOT for nothing with the Wind Waker, which has to count for something!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

anyone remember the gamegear? i had one...

deadly it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Picked the SNES myself but I suppose only on a nostalgia basis.
    Had pretty much every Ninty console ever made except for the virtualboy but started on an Atari 2600 ->Commodore VIC20->amstrad CPC464->NES->SNES->gameboy->mega-drive->N64->Gamecube->GBA->Zaxxon ~1973 tabletop....another mega-drive and I'm waiting for the DS now.
    Of all those though, snes got me through secondary school and had more fun on it in first year of college than my flatmates' PS1.
    Mario kart, links golf, streetfighter2 turbo, anything mario 'til 5 in the morning....ahhh, good times.

That's kinda why I'll always like Nintendo, I've never had a better sense of all round general fun with any other brand and the SNES was the best at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Dreamcast just shades it over the PSX for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

god virtualboy was that even released, I remember wanting one when i saw it beyond2000 but didnt think it got released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Voted gamecube - not just cos of the games quality but also because out of the current crop of consoles it is the only one that is 100% dedicated to games. Personally I think the other consoles abilities are diluted by the fact that they try to do too much.

Advertisement