Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom offering DSL service soon!!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Another Eircon RADSL resale? *cry*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Another Eircon RADSL resale? *cry*

do you think so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

It's LLU not a reseller thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

As damien said, they're going to be providing it via LLU so it will all be over their own equipment. They can choose to offer whatever sort of service they like.. multimegabit, low contention, etc etc if they so choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

crawler wrote:
    Errr....no they dont - Smart use IP transit and as such lease it from transit providers - they dont OWN any pipe to the US. Even if the did, that would be fairly useless as most european traffic stays within europe - sending it to the US would upset the gamers :)
    Just tried a traceroute over a smart transit link and it's one hop from smart to their transit provider in NY - btnaccess. They recently bought the T50 so they may be using that to connect to Hibernia in Clonshaugh and then straight over to 111 8th avenue in NYC. It's only €25 a mb from Clonshaugh to NY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

ro2 wrote:
    Just tried a traceroute over a smart transit link and it's one hop from smart to their transit provider in NY - btnaccess. They recently bought the T50 so they may be using that to connect to Hibernia in Clonshaugh and then straight over to 111 8th avenue in NYC. It's only €25 a mb from Clonshaugh to NY.

LOL - your misinformed. Smart have leased access to some of the fibre in the T50 ring. This is used by many providers. You'll also see other's say they have bought the MAN's etc. It's all bull, they are purely lightling up some of the fibre in each case.

Magnet networks have also leased fibre from the T50 ring. So its obvious smart don't own it.

Smart also have 2x2gigE wave connections to london, this is their primary route out of ireland. All their irish traffic will go via their 100mbps link into Inex.

Essentially the 1 HOP you see is a layer 3 ethernet connection from ireland/via london and onto the US. There are no HOPS cause its is a "pure ethernet" connection.

Similarly packet exchange can provide "NO As hop" layer 3 connectivity to level3 in london. They however share 2x2gigE waves with ntl and a few others and this adds about 10ms to their trans irish sea pings, when the likes of colt/global crossing etc can do it in less than 10ms - packet exchange do it in 19/20ms.

To drag myself on topic now: Smart will be using LLU, this is very clear. The reason it is so clear is we, the tax payer, are paying for it. They have got government grants to do this work. You'll also note a certain hosting provider pimping dsl in about 4-6 weeks time stating their rolled out their own exchanges. They will be reselling a wholesale bitstream product that smart will be selling.

more points to note: Smart use ESB networks to get around the country, they can do this very cheap aswell. 100mbps metro ethernet to cork from dublin for about 50k euro a year (or cheaper, based on pricing i got for 10mbps from dublin 5000 euro a year)

Cork is the next likely step for smart.

Paul

flamegrill wrote:
    LOL - your misinformed. Smart have leased access to some of the fibre in the T50 ring.

Think he probably means this http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9562441.html
    Which states:
    Smart Telecom will buy 10 percent of BBCL for EUR400,000 and two million Smart Telecom shares. The board of BBCL is to be replaced by Smart Telecom CEO Oisin Fanning, along with other Smart Telecom nominees, and the company has also agreed to undertake the operation, sales and marketing of BBCL. Smart Telecom currently uses the BBCL network to carry its Dublin-based traffic.

BBCL owns and operates a fibre optic broadband network in Dublin. The network is comprised of over 120 kilometres of fibre network and 800 kilometres of duct in the Dublin area.

Cork is the next likely step for smart.

I think they're in. :)

damien.m wrote:
    I think they're in. :)

I know they are in and around. I meant unbundling the exchanges in and around cork. I know netsource have a 100mbps metro ethernet connection with smart to cork for their ISP services there. So that would mean smart have a POP there also.

I think Galway and oddly Kilkenny are also on the list.

Paul

flamegrill wrote:
    So that would mean smart have a POP there also.

They've a lot of stuff in Cork including a call centre, plus they have the whole of Cork City covered in a single wifi network since Nov according to what they announced at a local conference. Oh yeah they're fiddling around with the MAN too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

You're right - they only bought 10% of it, but it's run by smart's people now.

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/press_releases/20041102irishindependent.pdf

Never had any issues with latency with Packet exchange - I'm getting 12ms at the moment (compared to 10ms on C&W and 9ms on Global Crossing).

• Advertisement

Never said there are any issues, merely stated the other providers such as glbx/colt/c&w beat them accross the irish sea :)

Packet exchange for me are the eircom.net free subscription of transit providers :), cheap and nasty. However for 100mbps FE connection in a DC to your servers you can't go very wrong. (mind you, youd want to have at least one other BGP peer :))

Paul

Advertisement