Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nec 616

Options
  • 05-01-2005 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Dear All

hope this has not been asked on another thread. I was interested in getting a NEC 616 3G handset as they are quite nice. I am not sure will they connect to the irish system. they are available in england on Ebay but wanted to check did anyone use one over here yet? thank for any help

regards Niall

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Horeb

Niall,

Yes they can be unlocked but will only be a 2G Phone with Sms and Voice.

In order to have them to work with MMS & GPRS, they have to be Flashed and the Firmware re-installed without "3" Crap.

As when it is unlocked the Bluetooth etc won't work.

Simi Sim on Camden Street Unlock it but as yet cannot flash the firmware, there are a few places in the UK that can do it via mail order.

If you wait a few months Cables with Dongles and the Software will be available.

This was the same for the the SE T610/30 until the Cable and Dongle and DIV Software became available.

I have had 2 but now 1 Great Phone but as with everything initially a little hard to get info on etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8 niallirl

Mey

so i can't buy a unlocked phone free of all the connection specific information? i dont mind paying for the phone properly. if i start of with a clean phone then it should in theory work here? is is possible to buy such a phone? i would not like to do anything ilegal, i just like the phone.

Regards Niall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Horeb

No the Phone cannot be bought sim free, hence the need to ammend the firmware to make it full compatibale will other Nets GPRS & MMS

• Registered Users Posts: 8 niallirl

Mey

then if i get an unlocked phone phone from ebay and get the memory flashed is this ilegal? i dont want to sound like a true new begineer but i just like the phone and assumed that i could just buy a clean legal one somewhere and use it here. thanks for all the points, learning a lot as i read more about this.

I find the current options via vodapone very poor and if it is easy for the public to do this then surley they would offer more phone. I dont have an unlimited pocket but was happy to pay a couple of hundred for the phone.

might just move to Italy/England and get one there.

Regards Niall

Advertisement