Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Power Corrupts ...

Options
  • 05-01-2005 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

Just curious to know if there are rules that moderators have to follow?

And if so, where can I see these rules?
    If there are no rules ... then why aren't there any?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm quite sure there are, but if you have a specific problem you can always call J'Accuse before the tribunals.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Cactus Col wrote:

If there are no rules ... then why aren't there any?

Can you see common sense? Perhaps it's too abstract a concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

If we all had common sense then there'd be no need for charters.

While I have never been banned from any forums (and I don't plan on getting banned anytime soon), I can see that anybody can act the maggot, even moderators.

Who is to say that a moderator won't take a dislike to somebody and ban him / her for almost no reason whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I think there's only a littletinychance of that happening.

Ah, but it is still a dictatorship!! Yippee!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

A littletinychance is still too big a chance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Thorbar wrote:
    I think there's only a littletinychance of that happening.

True, mods live in fear of admins :rolleyes:

On the other hand, admins are answerable to no one, and can and do ban on a whim! :eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

It's quite simple. Moderators have no rules, but you, the user, must follow these ones.

Zeroth Law:
    A user may not annoy the boards.ie community, or, through inaction, allow the boards.ie community to become unhappy.

First Law:
    A user may not annoy a moderator, or, through inaction, allow a moderator to become unhappy, unless this would violate the Zeroth Law of boards.ie.

Second Law:
    A user must obey orders given it by moderators, except where such orders would conflict with the Zeroth or First Law.

Third Law:
    A user must protect its own wellbeing as long as such protection does not conflict with the Zeroth, First, or Second Law.

Cloud wrote:
    It's quite simple. Moderators have no rules, but you, the user, must follow these ones.

Zeroth Law:
    A user may not annoy the boards.ie community, or, through inaction, allow the boards.ie community to become unhappy.

First Law:
    A user may not annoy a moderator, or, through inaction, allow a moderator to become unhappy, unless this would violate the Zeroth Law of boards.ie.

Second Law:
    A user must obey orders given it by moderators, except where such orders would conflict with the Zeroth or First Law.

Third Law:
    A user must protect its own wellbeing as long as such protection does not conflict with the Zeroth, First, or Second Law.
    Asimov couldn't have put it better himself...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Cactus Col wrote:

As long as Devore and Ecksor keep getting the brown envelopes* we can pretty much do what we like.

* No cash in them, they just have an envelope fetish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I wove you cloudie :D

rules are in the charter of each forum add a dash of cop on and everything should be hunky dory

I think now on a more serious now because of the seperation of Mods vs Hosted Mods your going to see variations in rules.

Mods are supposed to give to the community. (eg. Computers)
    Hosted Mods are basically people using boards for their own thing. (eg. Mustard)

So mods will tend to be more open in who they let in and rules and whatnot, where as hosted forums can ban you if they have a rule to ban you (eg. Posting "I don't like Mustard").

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Omfg Megastars Beruthiel!

megastars.gif

CuLT wrote:
    Omfg Megastars Beruthiel!

Cloudie the Spider
    likes to play with the little flies he has caught in his web :D

I've joined in with the Russians apparently ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Hobbes wrote:
    Mods are supposed to give to the community. (eg. Computers)
    Hosted Mods are basically people using boards for their own thing. (eg. Mustard)

Uh? Are you calling me a Hosted mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I think he is.

Are you going to let him get away with it?

SyxPak wrote:
    Are you going to let him get away with it?

if he does, then he's going soft in his auld age....

ecksor wrote:

Your making it sound like being a hosted mod is a bad thing? :D

So Mustard isn't a hosted forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Mustard has been in the Recreation category since its creation has it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ecksor wrote:
    [strike]You name is in bold italics isn't it?[/strike] never mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i cant think of anything witty to type in here atm, but seeing as this thread seems to be mostly **** stirring, just imagine i'm typing something vaguely stirring atm.

*sleep*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

crash_000 wrote:
    i cant think of anything witty to type in here atm, but seeing as this thread seems to be mostly **** stirring, just imagine i'm typing something vaguely stirring atm.

*sleep*

post count envy tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ecksor wrote:

and so a new subclass and a new slur were born.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

At least they aren't frikin wiccans.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Er, Hosted Mods are there because we want to be able to give out forums to any group with like and make their choice of person mod (rather then OUR choice of person). Thats the way hosted forums work. We've separated them simply for security reasons since we dont really know them usually.

To answer the original question, no the mods do NOT have rules to follow. Thats so that all the little weenies out there cant just find loopholes and then come crying to mommy.

If a mod gets stupid or picks on one user, they can bring it to the admins attention and we *will* deal with it. Usually the mods are fine and someone just doesnt like being slapped but on occasion we've intervened (see the card DeVore Intervention?) and on occasion we've admonished, reversed or demodded the mod. Its rare because our mods are great by and large, but it has happened.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Genuine question: How do you get to be a moderator and what do you do about one thats being an unreasonable Jerk?

How to Become a Moderator, in 0 Easy Steps.

If you have a problem with a moderator, you can always take it up in the Feedback forum. Just remember that name calling seldom does anything but lessen your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Miles

Infini wrote:
    Genuine question: How do you get to be a moderator and what do you do about one thats being an unreasonable Jerk?
    Typically you are chosen as a child if your miticlorian count is high enough.

There is no way to get at a moderator. The only known and observed way is when a junior mod p!sses off a senior mod and he gets wacked by the giant Admin in the sky.

Watching Mods argue is one of the last genuine gladiator sports left.

Asking questions like this gets your name into the secret files, so caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

They let me be a mod.... you don't need much ;)

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Miles

Did you ask or did they ask you?

Advertisement