Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL laggg really bad anyone know wtf

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

traceroute to www.boards.ie (82.195.131.130), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
    1 10.135.63.254 (10.135.63.254) 473.458 ms 279.061 ms 169.076 ms

traceroute to www.google.akadns.net (66.102.9.104), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
    1 10.135.63.254 (10.135.63.254) 156.732 ms 228.781 ms 164.923 ms

traceroute to clarity.jolt.co.uk (195.149.21.11), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
    1 10.135.63.254 (10.135.63.254) 257.961 ms 209.104 ms 185.082 ms

--- clarity.jolt.co.uk ping statistics ---
    21 packets transmitted, 18 packets received, 14% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 32.8/40.3/54.5 ms

*shakes fist at NTL*

I'm getting withdrawl symptoms now.

In Walkinstown, greenhills area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Eldarin wrote:
    lads can we bare in mind that when it comes to ping rates and the likes on a cable modem your going to get a crap rate. totally unavoidable.
    Why? You don't expect massive packet loss. Anything above 25% loss (sustained) is completely disgraceful.
    with regards to physical download rates in the areas that NTL is available in your going to get anyone with a bit of common sense using their service as its the best Ireland is offering. So your bound to get some kinds of lag.
    That'd be a fair comment if it was always like this. But it's not. I've had it four months now and this is the first time I've had anything but perfect rates. Note that I'm not actually complaining, but if this keeps up I will be since I pay for the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'm on ntl but i've never had any problems with packet loss.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Infini wrote:
    I'm on ntl but i've never had any problems with packet loss.

Eldarin and Infini- we are not moaning about about the general service provided by NTL- we are moaning about specific problems yesterday and today, that have not been resolved as yet. I run 4 PCs off the modem, through a 3Com office connect router- and normally have full 100kbps on all ports (and if I'm feeling greedy often plug a gig connection directly into the modem and get full connection speed too).

I agree with the statement that NTLs broadband service is about as good as anyone is going to get in Ireland.
    Those of us complaining here are not bitching about the service in general- which is brilliant, having had gone through every possible offering that Eircom and Esat-BT have on offer.
    What we are complaining about is the fact that the service in large tracts of Dublin failed yesterday, and none of us succeeded in resolving the problem.

In general my NTL connection is brilliant- yesterday evening (and this morning) I was getting packet loss in excess of 90%, and downloads below 5kbps (i.e. GPRS on my mobile phone is approximately 9 times faster than my broadband at present). The only reason I can post here now, is because I'm in work.

The fact that there is no provision for out-of-hours support, particularly when most of us on the service are home users, who would most likely not be at home during the daytime, is a problem, encountered yesterday for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Has any noticed if the problem has been fixed yet today?
    Mine was awful lastnight aswell. - Knocklyon.

• Advertisement

Talking to them a few minutes ago.
    Its not back, but they are working on it.
    Unwilling to give an eta on when it can be expected back.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

smccarrick wrote:
    Eldarin and Infini- we are not moaning about about the general service provided by NTL- we are moaning about specific problems yesterday and today, that have not been resolved as yet. I run 4 PCs off the modem, through a 3Com office connect router- and normally have full 100kbps on all ports (and if I'm feeling greedy often plug a gig connection directly into the modem and get full connection speed too).

I agree with the statement that NTLs broadband service is about as good as anyone is going to get in Ireland.
    Those of us complaining here are not bitching about the service in general- which is brilliant, having had gone through every possible offering that Eircom and Esat-BT have on offer.
    What we are complaining about is the fact that the service in large tracts of Dublin failed yesterday, and none of us succeeded in resolving the problem.

In general my NTL connection is brilliant- yesterday evening (and this morning) I was getting packet loss in excess of 90%, and downloads below 5kbps (i.e. GPRS on my mobile phone is approximately 9 times faster than my broadband at present). The only reason I can post here now, is because I'm in work.

The fact that there is no provision for out-of-hours support, particularly when most of us on the service are home users, who would most likely not be at home during the daytime, is a problem, encountered yesterday for the first time.

very well said, echoing my feelings exactly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Yes they just called me, expect it to be resolved by early afternoon.

To all the people saying that it could be a contention issue, or that you 'expect' to get crap ping rates with cable modems, with all due respect, you're not correct.

I've had cable for over 3 years now, and last night and today was the first time I've had serious problems in 2 years (the problem 2 years ago was absolutely dreadful and took 6 months to resolve, say no more). ANY packet loss at all is completely and totally unacceptable. There is no acceptable reason for any packet loss, no matter what type of network it is (be it cable, DSL, ethernet etc). My cable connection runs with ping times of less than 20ms to the first 2 hops quite consistently, and with 0% packet loss. If this changes for any reason, there is something wrong. Once you get even 2% of packets getting lost, your service is interrupted to a degree where it becomes a pain in the ass to use (anyone who uses ssh or gaming will understand why).

NTL's cable service is nowhere near reaching a threshold where contention becomes an issue. It's true that the connection is 'shared', but ALL internet connections are 'shared' at some point along the line, it makes no difference if that sharing happens on your street, or in an ISP datacentre, what does matter is how fat the pipe is and how thin each connection is. Cable pipes are well fat enough in each localised area to cope with the number of users NTL have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Eldarin

my Apologies guys i didn't realize that the post was referring to a problem that just started yesterday or the day before. myself i'm having absolutely no difficulty with my 1.5meg connection. I downloaded Chronicles of riddick from torrentspy.com last night without any problems. somewhere in the region of 120k transfers the whole time pretty much, again I as I said earlier thats in Saggart not far from Tallaght. hopefully it doesn't work its way out to me as i'd probably top my self without internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 CoolNitro

its fixed well mine is thay must have taken down my network area cos my moden could not even connect with NTL from 3am to 11.30 I was starting to think it was my modem.

anyone know what it was??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

CoolNitro wrote:
    its fixed well mine is thay must have taken down my network area cos my moden could not even connect with NTL from 3am to 11.30 I was starting to think it was my modem.

anyone know what it was??
    Yeah my service just went dead around 11 last night. I went to bed. I assume Muck was right in his diagnosis, and they rebooted some things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

yeh its back up now, was very bad from 5 onwards yesterday and went completely dead from 11pm onwards till a few minutes ago. I'm in the Old Bawn area in Tallaght.

it just crashed again then came back up lets hope it doen not continue this way

ballycragh tallaght area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Its still down in Templeogue it seems :/ can't ssh into my server yet.
    Unless the dns hasnt updated yet to match the ip :(

CoolNitro wrote:

I experienced the same problem a while back but it came back online when I connected the computer to the modem using the USB cable instead of the Ethernet cable. Did you try that and did it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Infini wrote:
    No problems in Dublin 7. Exceeding 140kb/s.

Sorry for off-topic, but where exactly in D7 are you?

its fffed again here goes for another night without internet the lagg has started up again

A lot better than last night, but still not back properly.
    Packet loss now below 20%, and response times have improved.

10.135.47.254 still has high lag associated with it. (60-70 ms)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

i know that Knocklyon/Templeogue is getting an upgrade atm; where I live this area wasn't serviced by NTL broadband until last week.

(which means cable for me! hoorah!)

Think I spoke too soon. Packet loss up about 60% now, and taking forever to load anything. Arrrrggghhhhhh

• Advertisement

dodgy when I got in about 30 minutes ago from work, seems to be ok now.

No wait, I spoke too soon, packets dropping.

tech support for Cable Modems has been replaced with an automated message saying they have engineers working on the outage.

Well thats bloody technical difficulties for ya... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

called tech support today
    they said they were aware it was out on the northside dublin and are workin on it

got thru in 10 mins, not bad considering the system has gone tits up, and that i spent over an hour today tryin to get thru to esat so i could cacel their trial

okden wrote:
    called tech support today
    they said they were aware it was out on the northside dublin and are workin on it

That isn't right. I'm on the northside but i've had a perfect connection for the last 2 weeks. Are you sure about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Infini wrote:
    That isn't right. I'm on the northside but i've had a perfect connection for the last 2 weeks. Are you sure about that?

That would be... "Are they (NTL) sure about that?" ... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

ok...now that we are back online again..us NTL people I mean......i have to say well done NTL for getting us up and running so quickly.

(ok..call me a lick ass)

wideband wrote:
    ok...now that we are back online again..us NTL people I mean......i have to say well done NTL for getting us up and running so quickly.

(ok..call me a lick ass)

Youve been having problems for 48 hours. Thats what we call a public nuisance.

Advertisement