Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Phones At Cpw

Options
  • 05-01-2005 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

ok ok they're rubbish (nokia 3100,3200 and 3510i and seimens c65) but its a start. do u think we'll soon see free mobiles on the same level as the uk and europe? :confused:
    i hope so, i think were beind screwd by the networks here,E499 for the moto v3??? E279 for the V800??? these can be gotten from free in the uk on the counterpart networks so why not here? :mad: :mad: :mad:
    but otoh E29 for the 6600 is still pretty good! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

They are all end of lines. They want to get rid of them. The Nokia 6600 is cheap as no one is buying it either. Although the Nokia 6230 was e49 for Xmas...
    But don't think we're gonna get free (good) phones for a long time yet. The tariffs are still rip offs too compared to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What do you mean free? Free with contract? Free on RTG? Free free?

And what's with the Nokia 6230 for E49... that was (is???) on billpay? Pay monthly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Free on Bill Pay. Although you can still get the Nokia 3510i for e79 with e80 call credit which is basically free, there's similar (or even better) deals with lots of others, especially other older phones in the CPW sale. The Nokia 6230 was e49 on a new connection to O2 twenty plus, including 3 months free line rental, 3 months free insurance, 3 months free O2 to O2 calls at weekends.
    Anyway that offer was December only. Back up to e99 with no free stuff anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dookie wrote:
    do u think we'll soon see free mobiles on the same level as the uk and europe? :D

doubt it anytime soon, check out the cpw german site. 6230 with a free lttle motor scooter thing for €1. We'r elucky they dont take the battery otu over here and try to sell it as an optional extra.

http://www.phonehouse.de/intro.php?varSessionID=c5dfb41dc7c15a0eb9d374e806eb3f1447e16ea55ddf8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

A lot of phones are as good as free on Meteor these days. A lot of their range sells for € 9. I think the operators are afraid to start offering free phones cuase once one starts they will all have to do it.

Maybe when 3 comes things will change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

Fungus wrote:
    Maybe when 3 comes things will change.

Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i thought that the phones that are cheapest in the uk are on the highest tariffs?

as in £200 a month etc,

thye only give you them really cheap when you sign to the most expensive package.
    is that not how it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

No, even on the most basic tariff you can get decent phones for free like the T630/K700i etc etc.
    Just have a look on Orange.co.uk or o2.co.uk

CPW.com
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-Home

nokia 7600: FREE
    Line rental: 2.99 a month
    inclusive minutes: 500 min+100 texts.

hmmm...not even 200 a YEAR!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

dookie wrote:
    CPW.com
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-Home

nokia 7600: FREE
    Line rental: 2.99 a month
    inclusive minutes: 500 min+100 texts.

hmmm...not even 200 a YEAR!!!

From the Terms and Conditions:

# Customer pays the normal line rental of £30 per month but will receive their money back by the redemption process listed below.

# 3 Months ½ price line rental (worth £45) will be automatically added to your bill from 3.

# There are 2 redemption processes to this offer, send your 6th airtime bill and receive chequeback for £117.00, and then send your 12th airtime bill and recieve chequeback for £162.00.

# To claim your chequeback please send your 6th and 12th bills to:

Nokia 7600 '3' redemption offer
    Cheque back
    Carphone Warehouse Support Centre
    1 Portal Way
    North Acton
    London
    W3 6RS

Pain in the arse, but still a good deal. I wonder will 3 extend this offer to Ireland? (My b0llix)

• Advertisement

But 3 don't operate in Ireland.

eth0_ wrote:
    But 3 don't operate in Ireland.

they will be sometime this year tho.

dookie wrote:
    they will be sometime this year tho.

I find that VERY hard to believe considering they're in such a bad state in the UK. They're the Meteor of the UK. No one wants to use them because their service is terrible.

http://www.3ireland.ie/index.html

they are already offering commercial servives and are also beginning to recruit for a new flagship store in the city.

they're also the fastest growing operator in the uk at the moment.

dookie wrote:
    http://www.3ireland.ie/index.html

they are already offering commercial servives and are also beginning to recruit for a new flagship store in the city.

they're also the fastest growing operator in the uk at the moment.

Fastest growing because they're throwing minutes and phones at people for free, but once they see how crap the network is they leave, they've been haemorrhaging customers for quite a long time.

I can't see them offering free phones here, if the two biggest operators in Europe can't/won't, why should 3 :(

to grab some share of the market i would say, even if they're crap here the free minutes they'll throw will stirr some competition, as will MVNO's that will be here shortly.

o2 and vodafone can but won't, cos we know no better in ireland.

Advertisement