Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom home dsl, static or dynamic IP ??

• 05-01-2005 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Forigve me is theirs a link to this and I've missed it, but the ip address of my dsl router keeps changing. As far as I'm aware us home dsl users are suppossed to be using static addresses? My router rarely gets turned off/rebooted but I've noticed in the last month I've recieved 3 new ip addresses.

They're not in the same range either. My last one was 83.71.x.x now I'm 213.94.x.x

WTF ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Eircom's Home DSL uses dynamic IP address and the subnets vary too so you won't necessarily even get the same subnet when it changes as you are noticing. You can request a static IP only if you are on Home Plus and they charge you a once off setup fee for setting it up. I'm also on Eircom DSL (Home Plus) and my IP almost never changes. It has changed about twice in a year when Eircom had scheduled outages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

IP adresses usually dont change as long as the router is active unless there is an outage or the moden is turned off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Yes they do. An IP address allocated by a DHCP server has a lease period. Quoting from here:
    After 50% of the lease time has passed, the client will attempt to renew the lease with the original DHCP server that it obtained the lease from using a DHCPREQUEST message. Any time the client boots and the lease is 50% or more passed, the client will attempt to renew the lease. At 87.5% of the lease completion, the client will attempt to contact any DHCP server for a new lease. If the lease expires, the client will send a request as in the initial boot when the client had no IP address. If this fails, the client TCP/IP stack will cease functioning.
    ... so even if the router is on 24/7, the IP address will always change eventually.

Advertisement