Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver & Linksys Wireless ADSL Router

• 05-01-2005 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Just signed up today for the "UTV Clicksilver Plus" 4 months free offer. I believe it comes with a USB modem, and I want to go wireless so I've been looking at the Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Modem Router. Costs about €105 plus shipping. Has anyone any experience with this?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

the_vick wrote:
    Just signed up today for the "UTV Clicksilver Plus" 4 months free offer. I believe it comes with a USB modem, and I want to go wireless so I've been looking at the Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Modem Router. Costs about €105 plus shipping. Has anyone any experience with this?

I am on Clicksilver and it works fine for me - am using it now. You can pick it up in town (Dublin that is!) for about €120 (IT direct have them) which is probably not much different from the Amazon price plus postage.

If you look around on the net you often get good prices for packages of router and pc or laptop card.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 the_vick

Thanks, it's quoted at €131 on IT Direct's site. Might take a trip in there tomorrow.

BTW: How long did it take to get your line set up/modem delivered by UTV?

the_vick wrote:
    Thanks, it's quoted at €131 on IT Direct's site. Might take a trip in there tomorrow.

BTW: How long did it take to get your line set up/modem delivered by UTV?

Well I have been with them since the beginning so my set up time would be no guide. But UTV are dependent on Eircom so you can be lucky or unlucky but Id say anything within three weeks and you are probably doing well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

the_vick wrote:

You can get a D-Link wireless router for €80 in a computer store on capel street. I think its E-retail or something like that. You plug it in through a LAN port. Comes with its own built in Firewall too. :D

Infini wrote:
    You can get a D-Link wireless router for €80 in a computer store on capel street. I think its E-retail or something like that. You plug it in through a LAN port. Comes with its own built in Firewall too. :D

Make sure whatever you go for that it is an all in one like the wag54g (ie modem wireless and router) as the usb modem that UTV supply does not have an ethernet port so cannot be connected to a router AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

dub45 wrote:
    Make sure whatever you go for that it is an all in one like the wag54g (ie modem wireless and router) as the usb modem that UTV supply does not have an ethernet port so cannot be connected to a router AFAIK.

It doesn't have a ethernet port? thats kind of bad, USB is inferior to Ehernet.

Advertisement