Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'team america'

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

montage was great because it was a complete piss take on that song in vice city that goes like " push it to the limit " and " crash the gate "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Also slightly pissed that the entire cinema burst out laughing right as the film began (And I mean RIGHT as the film began, before the "Paris, France" subtitle), and yet not ONE person giggled during the "Montage" song (which was probably one of the best things about the movie). I know it's an old song, but Jesus.

This happened when I watched it too. I mean, wtf were the laughing at?
    Also, I don't think half of the people were evening listening to the words of the songs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i laughed when I saw the bad puppets at the beginning..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I giggled at the start because of the Paris, France, blah blah miles from America part. Not many people laughed at the Montage-scene when I went either, which is a shame, was one of the better songs. You need a montaaaaage.

Still laughing at those "panthers". Man, I'm easily amused sometimes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

koneko wrote:
    I giggled at the start because of the Paris, France, blah blah miles from America part.
    Oh yeah, the "Paris, France, x miles west of America" thing was funny, but I meant even before that - right when the painting of the Eiffel tower appeared. I scanned the screen quickly to see if there was some joke I was missing, but I really think the entire cinema thought a painting of the Eiffel tower was one of the funniest things they'd ever seen.

Bizarre.

Hmm, then I can put it down only to something like "HAHA THIS FILM HAS PUPPETS N STUFF"
    Sheesh, the general public....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I loved the "suicide claw hammer", and the arab banter, "Durka Durka, Mohamad Jihad"

montage was great, one of those things i'd never picked up on before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

This was a bad movie. I was looking through rottentomatoes.com and one reviewer said it's this generation's 'Dr. Strangelove'. Whoever you are sir, please report to the morgue and tell them you're ready. You don't deserve to live, much less review movies.

The film was lazy as hell with terrible, clichéd jokes. Ho ho ho, Kim Jong-Il can't pronouce his Rs! Oh look, Parker and Stone have noticed Michael Moore is fat... and he's eating hot-dogs! Oh look, a Matrix parody... I always find those hilarious to the extreme! Oh my sides.

The film dragged on... and on... and on. I guess in that sense it was a good parody of boring Hollywood action flicks. Parker and Stone seem to think that constant swearing, people shouting and the word 'fag' are the height of hilariousness.

It's not this generations Dr Strangelove, that's just lazy bad journalism. I thought it was funny, in a very simple sortof way (ie not taking it too seriously, it's silly), but it's not a classic.

From IMDB today:

Stone Explains Dumb Damon Puppet

Matt Stone has finally explained why Matt Damon's puppet in recent marionette movie Team America: World Police looks "retarded" - it was accidental. Stone, who made the satirical film with his South Park partner Trey Parker, was surprised when Damon's puppet came out of the oven looking nothing like they were expecting him to. He says, "When we looked at the plans for his head he looked good, but when we came out of the oven he just looked retarded. I think it was well thought out. Honestly, I think Matt Damon is one of the better actors around. I think he's a pretty great actor. He's pretty talented. And for no real reason, he is retarded in this movie."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

personally I think Matt Stone and Trey Parker are legends. South Park is one of the funniest shows on TV and Team America while not as good as South Park the Movie was really funny, You have to appreciate the way they can take the piss out of their own country,major celebrities and themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Dr. Dodger wrote:
    personally I think Matt Stone and Trey Parker are legends. South Park is one of the funniest shows on TV and Team America while not as good as South Park the Movie was really funny, You have to appreciate the way they can take the piss out of their own country,major celebrities and themselves.

Their Canadian aint they?

No, Matt Stone was born in Texas, but if I remember correctly grew up in Colorado (near Columbine, he was in Bowling For Columbine talking about it). Trey Parker was (according to IMDB) born in Colorado.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Saw this last night (Twice in fact, watched it once durin the day, then when we came back from the pub my roomies decided they wanted to watch it, i'm trying to figure out whether it was funnier the 1st or second time around)

I was in stitches from the beginning tbh, the whole knocking down the eiffel tower and 'Damn, I missed' and the look on the little french boys face!!!

Puking scene was the funniest thing i've seen in ages, I loved the way it kept on going, gettin better and better, at the end it was spraying out all over the place!

Sex scene was hilarious too, as were the puppet animations.

Soooo many funny stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I went to see it last night and I have never laughed so much in my life! :D Everything about this film is a fcuking masterpiece, even the way the puppets walked had me in stitches.

The guys who made this film are fcuking legends. The sex scene had me on the floor with laughter, I hear that some things had to be editied out of that scene as it was too explict! There are so many moments and catchphrases in the film that you would need to go see it at least five times.

My fave bits:
    The aids musical was hilarious; ''the pope has aids''
    The guy who said ''i'll rip your balls off and shove them up your ass so that means when you ****, you will **** on your balls'' :) and ''i'll cut two holes in your c**k so that when you piss, you will piss in all different directions'' what legendary quotes!
    Michael Moore as a suicide bomber! :)
    The emotional suck my c**k scene.
    The way everyone's head fell off when they were shot.
    The song ''America .... **** Yeah!''

But funniest of all ........ ''Matt Damon!'' That is seriously the catchphrase of 2005. Everyone is saying it, all the texts and emails saying ''Matt Damon!'', its ridiculous but very funny! Poor Matt, his career is never going to be the same again!

Anyways ....... Matt Damon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

But funniest of all ........ ''Matt Damon!'' That is seriously the catchphrase of 2005. Everyone is saying it, all the texts and emails saying ''Matt Damon!'', its ridiculous but very funny!
    "Matt Damon": The "whasssuuppppppppp?" of 2005.

Shoot me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

MATT DAMON

lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

There's one thing I'll never forgive this film for and that is that stupid stupid piece of patriotic crap tune 'Freedom isn't free' ..... mainly because has been stuck in my head now for nearly a full 48 hours now and doesn't look like buggering off anytime soon either :(

'What would you do
    If you were asked to give up your dreams for freedom?
    What would you do
    If asked to make the ultimate sacrifice?' AAAAGGGGHHH make it stop!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Matt Damon

s8n wrote:
    Matt Damon

Matt Damon

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Didn't think a whole lot of it. A few good chuckles but on the whole it was fairly lame.
    Interesting to read that interview with Matt Stone (though it's probably anotehr level of piss-take), as he was barely involved in the film, looking at the credits. He gets two mentions (one voice and a production nod) to Parker's 50-odd listings.

Matt Damon just wasn't funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

like a 90 minute south park episode

haha
    went to see it locked, best thing ever....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Grom

First of all I would have to say that I went to view the film with a pinch of salt having read many mixed reviews, I was sceptical.

I have to say that there were some parts which the general public found infinitely funny and I was sitting there thinking, hrmm! Especially the very beginning I mean the whole cinema burst into hysterics at the mere glimpse of a puppet.

It seems that the general consensus surrounding this film is, go with a rake of mates 'pissed' out of your mind and you are sure to have a great time.

Sadly I found myself lingering in a fantasy world, awaiting the end to a film that to me was truly dribble. I couldn't bare the nauseating monotonous sound of chirping from the audience that I had to leave several times, the people in the cinema must have thought I had a sever kidney inflammation.

It had one or 2 good things going for it.

1. The montage song.
    2. The end.

Sadly as stated it looks like the initial few months of 05 are going to be driven by mundane soundings of "matt damon"

OH! Good God how I hope not.

Good day

Matt Damon just wasn't funny.

Ah it is! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

This movie is farking gas. It's a pity though that it rips the pizz out of american liberals but gives Bush and co a free pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Team America is absolutely ridiculous - I thoroughly enjoyed it! :D
    Low-brow, quick-witted and no-holds barred, though the acting was a bit wooden (patum, tish) The puppetry was great, including 'the signal, 'the panthers', 'so ronrey', 'dakka dakka', 'freres jacques', 'oops, i missed', 'd!cks puss!es and assho!es'...

...I've been laughing to myself all through this thread, including 'Parker and Stone seem to think that constant swearing, people shouting and the word 'fag' are the height of hilariousness.' (um, d!ck, puss!e, or assho!e? :-p) and 'I couldn't bare the nauseating monotonous sound of chirping from the audience that I had to leave several times'. (eh, why not cut your losses and just leave altogether first time??)

Think it's time to see it again :)

EDIT: oh, for those who didn't 'get' the start - it began with a puppet show being performed by - a puppet.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I loved the "It'll be 9/11 times a thousand. Yes, nine hundred and eleven thousand!"
    And the "Take this c*ck f*gs!" What a great catch phrase.
    And of course the "Durka durka, Mahommad, Gehad"
    And for every "foreign" location there was a caption saying "3600 miles East of America"
    All in all a classic movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

This was a big disappointment. I love South Park and the South Park movie so I was expecting this to be hilarious. Some of it was funny enough, Kim Jong Il and the plastic surgery scene but that's about it.

And I don't see what's so funny about the "Matt Damon" catchphrase.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I saw it tonight. It was the first film I cried at in a long time. The minute the panthers arrived I couldn't hold back the laughter. There was tears in my eyes I was laughing so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's just one of them films either you love it or loathe it,

i personally love it and went to see it twice, i'm compemplating should i go again as it's soooo funny.

Advertisement