Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for those that have 2meg Dsl - eircom..

• 05-01-2005 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭

Right so I have my laptop in work downloading some files over night (to get around my $hitty cap :D ). Earlier tonight I timed the internet connection, its the 2meg uncapped Dsl line from Eircom. I know some of you have the 2meg line at home so I was wondering if you found this to be normal?

2mbps.gif

Its averaging out at about 500megs an hour at 150kBps, I'm astonished to see the speed of the line went upto nearly half a Megabyte a second at one point ... unreal

But still, I would of expected a steady 190kBps at least.... Is there any point in complaining about the speed to eircom or is this the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Your on the unlimited package. On avarage a lines actual average speed is 1/10th of its actual speed. 2MB/s = 200kb/s. Your probably getting speeds that high if you have a low contention ratio, the computer your downloading from is nearby or your actual line isn't busy. The speed isn't bad although I average a standard speed of 180kb/s on my 1.5MB line. Your paying a lot of money though for them speeds aren't you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Were you the only traffic on the line (i.e. are there work mail servers, or remote backups running as well? I (on the same package) get 208Kbps down and 25Kbps up consistently to all reliable sites.

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

U get 208, damn. I just checked again and its still averaging out at 150ish

2mbps_2.gif

The laptop should be the only workstation on, no one works there at night. There's a mail server on 24/7 but the volume of traffic is not much, probably one email every 5mins, attachments never get above 1meg I'd say

still though, there are bursts of speed, going by the gif above, half a megabyte a second was reached ! cool

Advertisement