Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charges for Building a Website

Options
  • 05-01-2005 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

I've recently been asked to build a simple website for a localised firm. The site will be fairly basic, maximum 20 pages, simple html with perhaps one cgi page.

I was just wondering what the rule of thumb is for charging for something like this. There was also a major ****-up with the hosting company that i'll be solving.

I am by no means a professional web developer. This is somewhere between a nixer and a proper job.

She's looking for a ballpark price before we begin. What should I tell her?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Depends on several factors -

1. How much of your time is this project going to take?
    2. How much effort and work do you have to put in?
    3. Are you any good? I mean is it gonna be a super dooper website with all the extras etc?
    4. The most important factor is how dumb she is. Don't take this the wrong way but most people don't have a clue how easy it really is to put a site together, so if she is one of those people I'd bump the price up. However, you want future work and recommendations from her to her business colleagues , they might throw a bit of work your way, so consider this for the future.

Ballpark I'd say 300 Euro depending on the factors above.

A sample from a webdesign company -
    Entrepreneur Plus - $300
    For sites with a lot of pictures and up to 15 pages of content. The Entrepreneur Plus also includes swap images. Take a look at what's included:
    A neat layout with an eye-catching masthead
    Swap Images (rollover the links in the live site to view the swap images)

Drop down menus (if required)

Navigation bar with rollover buttons
    Content Insertion * for up to 15 HTML pages
    2 unique layout options from which you can choose the final design
    Project duration : 5 working days

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Pricing includes the following

Hosting charge -= extra for self if you wish

Development cost per hour - your call on this although check out the current contracting rates www.rescon.ie has salary surveys

Project management charge - covers everything else - same rate as above is fine.

In working out time - calcaulate as best as you can then double it.

Don't overprice it or they may look elsewhere. Some bigger development companies can quote much lower prices, as they have salaried developers.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I'm not trying to take away from the question asked by snapscan1212p, but this is a very frequently asked question on the board now. perhaps it's time we created a sticky with all the relevent information?

Good luck with your new venture snapscan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Keyzer wrote:
    4. The most important factor is how dumb she is. Don't take this the wrong way but most people don't have a clue how easy it really is to put a site together, so if she is one of those people I'd bump the price up. However, you want future work and recommendations from her to her business colleagues , they might throw a bit of work your way, so consider this for the future.

O dear Lord.

The only reason for doing this is that, as he said, he's not a professional web developer. But it makes people assume that this is what websites should cost.

300 Euro is nothing. And, as evidenced by the immense amount of poorly constructed, badly designed websites... it's not easy to design a good site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

figment pointed to this link in a recent thread, its from the designers guild of ireland and gives useful tips on how to price.

http://www.dgi.ie/business/pricing.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

evilhomer wrote:
    I'm not trying to take away from the question asked by snapscan1212p, but this is a very frequently asked question on the board now. perhaps it's time we created a sticky with all the relevent information?
    I'd agree. The question seems to come up about once a fortnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

I'm sorry Keyzer but I just have to comment on this!
    Keyzer wrote:
    Depends on several factors -
    Wrong attitude! How about?
    4. The most important factor is how good of a job can you do, can you make the client happy & fullfill her needs. Don't take this the wrong way but most people don't have a clue how easy it really is to put a site together, so if she is one of those people I'd hold her hand throughout the process, ensuring that she knew the reason for all the decisions you make on her behalf.... then you'll be assured that she will recommend you to others
    Keyzer wrote:

Entrepreneur Plus - $300
    For sites with a lot of pictures and up to 15 pages of content. The Entrepreneur Plus also includes swap images. Take a look at what's included:
    A neat layout with an eye-catching masthead
    Swap Images (rollover the links in the live site to view the swap images)

Drop down menus (if required)

Navigation bar with rollover buttons
    Content Insertion * for up to 15 HTML pages
    2 unique layout options from which you can choose the final design
    Project duration : 5 working days

300 dollars for 5 Days work ($300 = €227)

Even assuming you ment 300 euro.
    €300 / 5 days = 60 per day / 8 hours = €7.5 euro per hour.

McDonalds pays more & thats below the minimum wage.

Are you aware that there are people out there, like me, that have put SIX years into their education in this field and who actually give a sh!t & know that they are doing. Can you imagine my disgust when reading your advice!

Its cowboy quotes & attitudes like this that is giving the industry a bad name.

When your dealing with the likes of this you really can see the need for some industry recognised accreditation to keep the cowboys at bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Buttmunchy

Ok. You can make a simple website with 50 pages. But only 50 pages. I first started there and it's simple with proper HTML editing pages. Blah. www.freewebs.com If you sign up, sign up with advanced. It's free and it had HTML editing pages. It's easy to use too.
    Yes you heard me - it's reliable and FREE!
    www.freewebs.com

pencil wrote:
    I'm sorry Keyzer but I just have to comment on this!

4. The most important factor is how good of a job can you do, can you make the client happy & fullfill her needs. Don't take this the wrong way but most people don't have a clue how easy it really is to put a site together, so if she is one of those people I'd hold her hand throughout the process, ensuring that she knew the reason for all the decisions you make on her behalf.... then you'll be assured that she will recommend you to others

300 dollars for 5 Days work ($300 = €227)

Even assuming you ment 300 euro.
    €300 / 5 days = 60 per day / 8 hours = €7.5 euro per hour.

McDonalds pays more & thats below the minimum wage.

Are you aware that there are people out there, like me, that have put SIX years into their education in this field and who actually give a sh!t & know that they are doing. Can you imagine my disgust when reading your advice!

Its cowboy quotes & attitudes like this that is giving the industry a bad name.

When your dealing with the likes of this you really can see the need for some industry recognised accreditation to keep the cowboys at bay.

Lighten up, he's never put a website together so whats she gonna say when he charges a fortune and then delivers (not saying he will though) a sub standard site....

How much would you charge?
    There are indian companies out there that would put together a shlt hot website for 300 US $. And before you start going on about Indian companies providing substandard work, I've seen some of the sites they have constructed and they are very good, fully functional, server side includes, forms processing etc. and tailored for each individual client.

Wake up and smell the coffee mate...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Regardless of how good or bad an Indian company may be they can't meet the client face to face.

• Advertisement

pencil wrote:
    This is a responsible attitude. Treating your clients with respect is a good idea. Common decency aside, they are the ones with the money.

I hope none of your clients are reading this Keyzer!

There's a lot of noise in the software industry about jobs moving to India there too. Joel Spolsky has a great comment on this, which I think applies to the web design industry too:
    But I keep hearing that enrollment in CS departments is dropping perilously, and one reason I hear for it is "students are afraid to go into a field where all the jobs are going to India." ...there's still an incredible shortage of the really good programmers, here and in India. Yes, there are a bunch of out of work IT people making a lot of noise about how long they've been out of work, but you know what? At the risk of pissing them off, really good programmers do have jobs.

I'm not that concerned about my work being outsourced to India.

I don't have any clients because I don't run my own business and I'm not a full time web designer.

I was speaking purely as if the job was a nixer.
    A nixer is a nixer, simple as that.

If your a full time web designer/developer and I go to you to design me a site, lets say you charge a grand (my quote was 300 earlier and I got flamed for that so we'll go with a grand), I'm gonna shop around.

Does it make a difference to me that If I see the designer face to face? No.

Web Design is not rocket science really, come on.

A client would get very little for a grand from me, and most professional web designers.

If you aren't willing to spend enough on your site to get it done well, then you don't consider it important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

JustHalf wrote:
    O dear Lord.

The only reason for doing this is that, as he said, he's not a professional web developer. But it makes people assume that this is what websites should cost.

300 Euro is nothing. And, as evidenced by the immense amount of poorly constructed, badly designed websites... it's not easy to design a good site.
    I have done quite a few small websites for free (personal, drama group, student council, school) - but this would be the first paid one, and the first on a proper server, not a cheapo freeserver.

I'd by no means consider myself good, but I keep all sites simple. Simplicity + Inexperience = Decent site (usually)

I talked to her again today, I'm pretty much getting the company brochure to put online. A webpage for each brochure page. (Approx 20 - 30) Makes it much easier to design. There'll also be a simple script so online customers can order a paper catalogue using a form.

P.S. I'd be extremely happy with 300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Make sure you draw up a good spec and contract. If you are charging that little you need to ensure that the spec isnt changed half way through and she adds loads of more pages and features so you quickly end up loosing money and a project from hell that never ends.

A contract also shows you are more professional and worth the money you charge.

Buttmunchy wrote:
    Ok. You can make a simple website with 50 pages. But only 50 pages. I first started there and it's simple with proper HTML editing pages. Blah. www.freewebs.com If you sign up, sign up with advanced. It's free and it had HTML editing pages. It's easy to use too.
    Yes you heard me - it's reliable and FREE!
    www.freewebs.com

A note to be careful on template sites. Many are using royalty free images in the templates and the companies do not have the licence to resell these images as part of the templates. This means that you could liable for a bill from a stock image company if you decide to use the image with the template.
    $60 for the template then $500 for the image.

Template Monster is one company who have had run ins with one of the stock houses.

JustHalf wrote:
    A client would get very little for a grand from me, and most professional web designers.

If you aren't willing to spend enough on your site to get it done well, then you don't consider it important.

Can you give me an example of some of your recent work please?

blacknight wrote:
    Regardless of how good or bad an Indian company may be they can't meet the client face to face.

I like your company website, I assume this is your company?

Keyzer wrote:
    Can you give me an example of some of your recent work please?
    http://www.transwareplc.com/ is my latest. I can't see how this is particularly relevant though.

I was curious to see some of your work.
    Do you mind me asking you how much you charged for that site?

Yes, I do mind. That information is confidential.

• Advertisement

JustHalf wrote:
    Yes, I do mind. That information is confidential.

Ok, no bothers, just curious, no offence intended...

None taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

JustHalf wrote:
    http://www.transwareplc.com/ is my latest. I can't see how this is particularly relevant though.
    very nice indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

anyways to answer a generally question, I'd say a safe amount (if your site can look decent enough) is about 700 - 800 euro, thats an ok amount to charge for a basic but visually appealing site imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

heggie wrote:
    anyways to answer a generally question, I'd say a safe amount (if your site can look decent enough) is about 700 - 800 euro, thats an ok amount to charge for a basic but visually appealing site imo.

You wouldnt get much of a site for that amount. It might cover the first round of the process and concept generation of 2 or 3 designs but thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

as i said for a basic site, and if its a nixer, i doubt they want 2 or 3 possibles to choose from, I'm only answering a general question, which has been met by elitest, show off replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Problem with threads like this is that is not a "fixed" price for this kinda of work. A busy studio, professional is going to charge one price, and a student looking to build his portfolio another. But its useful to point out the pitfalls of undercharging and suggest how to manage projects like these and approximate costs and fees to charge. But theres no absolutes in terms of charges.

Personally I do think that all markets including wedesign, software development, are effected by underbidding and eventually the amount profitable jobs worth doing does decrease. That just economics. If you have a customer base happy to pay your costs then great. So many industries in the past have gone to the wall because it became uneconomical to continue. It can happen in any industry regardless of the skill of those working in it.

The majority of the companies I have worked with in the past now outsource at least some of their work. Nearly always it's to somewhere out of Ireland. In some cases all of their work is now done oversees. How can that not have an effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

heggie wrote:
    as i said for a basic site, and if its a nixer, i doubt they want 2 or 3 possibles to choose from, I'm only answering a general question, which has been met by elitest, show off replies
    By "elitist show-off replies" I'll presume you mean replies from professionals who do web development for a living as opposed to replies from teenage bedroom-based Frontpage junkie monkeys who just pull a site development fee out of their arses.

You'd do well to pay attention to the likes of blacknight, Figment and Justhalf, and not just dismiss their opinions and advice as 'elitist' or 'showing off' - these guys know what they're talking about in this field and could certainly show us all a thing or two I'm sure.

In my experience, a relatively well experienced, relatively professional web developer, who is writing a site freelance, can expect to charge a minimum of €1,000 to €1,500 (even for a friend) depending on the complexity of the site in question and the time/work involved in getting it up and running (from concept to site launch). Naturally, for a site as basic (and frankly piss-easy) as the one snapscan1212p is talking about, it may be possible to offer a discount - but it's important to know your worth, and to know the worth of your time and effort and not to under-charge.

You'll actually be respected more for that in the most part and clients and potential clients alike will begin to realise that getting a web site developed is not actually the domain of 'little johnny, the directors son, who happens to be 12 and have a copy of Corel Photopaint and HoTMetaL Pro 3 on his Pentium-III at home' but is, in fact, best left to the professionals who have done this to a very high standard many a time before.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Based on the aformentioned 5 days, if you were to recruit a solicitor or plumber for the same period what would it cost.
    Keyzer wrote:
    Do you mind me asking you how much you charged for that site?
    While you are at it, how much is in your bank account?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Theres different markets for websites costing 300, 3k, 30k and 3m euro. Such is life. No one makes a living at doing it for 300, but then they are not trying to, its simply pocket money.

Wait till you try and buy a product of a company for say 250K and they turn around and tell you they don't do contracts under 500K. Then you'll realise the level you are at.

Get a grip people. :D

Advertisement