Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VNC Problem

Options
  • 06-01-2005 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

ok i have my server storage currently in the middle of my floor with a 14" crappy old beige monitor keyboard mouse whatever nearby for when i want to need it - not good

i decided to use VNC to set it up so i unplug everything from the tower..hide it under a desk and connect it to the network so i could do whatever was needed from here (install updates etc etc)

well i installed vnc FULL on both comps so i didnt get the wrong 1...on the server i set it up to allow connections from other comps with the router and everything...ran it...ran the viewer on this comp..connect to 192.168.1.3 (the servers static router ip)

BINGO! 1 comp screen right there and working great..Yes! i thought ill just try shutting it down and turning it back on to make sure vnc runs at startup so i can connect without having to do anything else

wellll! its now ..taken it off the router it appears..its ip has gone back to a normal 167.145.12...etc etc..not a router ip..and it wont connect to the internet ..i tried repairing the connection and it said its failed to renew the ip ..and well whatever vnc has done it f00ked up the settings and i dont know what to do any ideas? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Check the network cable/connection to the machine with the server running on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

yep there all in place none of the wires have moved or come loose and the green led is still on ..on the router saying its active :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Invader Zim

List of stuff to try....
    Check if DHCP is enabled.
    Check the network card is inserted properly (take it out and put it back in).
    Check the network card drivers are installed properly.
    Check (/swap out) the network cables.
    Disable any firewall.
    Cycle the power on the router (and reboot all PC's afterwards).
    Reset the router.
    Manually set the IP address of the server (not recommended but work a shot if all else fails).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

DHCP is enabled

the onboard network..thingymajig appears to be fine i have the green light on and its "active"

ive completely removed the drivers and let windows auto config it again when i restart the comp...nope

ive swapped it for 2 cables and tried it in 2 different ports..nope

disabled the firewall.nope

and ive manually set the ip..which wouldnt work either

i havent tried reseting the router as thats the upsetting bit 1 of em never works after ive done it

cheers for the response..ive managed to waste the entire day on this and i bet its something stupidly simple :rolleyes:

Advertisement