Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other extreme sports

Options
  • 06-01-2005 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Just been looking into some alternative extreme sports and I came across lava sledding and sand boarding, has anybody ever tried either of these? are there any beaches in Ireland with sand dunes good enough to give sand boarding a go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sligo

i tried sand boarding b4 in strandhill but it didnt really work, prob cos i tried to make my own sandboard with a skateboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sligo

j

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

ya i've tried sand boarding.
    a skateboard is way too small for it though.
    sand is a different texture to snow, i don't really know much about the science of it with friction etc but i just know it does not work well.

i used a boogie board , using the wrist strap to pull upwards keeping the nose out of the sand and in turn keeping your face out the sand!!

wicked fun!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

i would say the dollymount beach sand dunes would be cool for sand-boarding! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 the_burner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

I used to go sandboarding all the time a few years back. There was a group of us who would take snowboards down to some sand dunes sout of wicklow very regularily. Once the rain came for winter we stopped and didn't ever bother again. It was good fun, but that was before I had snowboarded. It's just so slow on sand.
    I must see if I can dig out some old video footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 the_burner

luapenak wrote: »
    It was good fun, but that was before I had snowboarded. It's just so slow on sand.
    I must see if I can dig out some old video footage.

Yeah, but with proper boards could be faster. I'm thinking about buying one, I just want to know if there are any places in Ireland I could try it...

I'm a snowboarder too. I had a friend from Peru couple of years ago, and he told me about sandboarding, his brother was a world champion back then. His name is Marco Malaga.

Can anyone verify these locations?

Ireland

Bettystown - Dublin
    - (many dunes about 15m high, quite grassy and rough sand There is one decent secluded sand pit about 25m high and 75m wide with some clean, non-grassy runs)

Donegal County - NorthWest
    - ( Situated along the Atlantic Coast )

Port Stewart - North Coast -
    ( good dunes )

White Rocks beach Portrush

Its good hearing from you!sandboarding in Ireland hasn't really taken off yet but its only a matter of time as in the south near a popular surfing beach there is the biggest dunes in europe but which a partly owned by the army!I however live up in the north coast in near portrush. Portrush has one main dune at a place called white rocks where the pics we have taken are from! Portstewart, a place 5 miles around the coast has a dune range which holds some really good slopes! At this time my friends and I are the only people who sandboard. Normal snowboards dont work on these dunes as the dunes are normally wet and salty, which are the worst conditions for snowboards.
    When these pictures were taken I was still developing the boards so the boards now look different from then. With a coat of paint and a few designs and then varnished so that it wouldnt wear off the boards now look class. However, as we live near the sea we are not always sandboarding. We have been surfing most of our lives and tend to do it more when the waves are good. But in the summer when the waves arent good generally, and its sunny, we always sandboard.

Tramore Sand Dunes - Waterford

N.Wales

Holywell Bay - Newquay - Cornwall - ( 3 huge dunes offerring steep long fast rides, drop offs, fly offs, lethal wall of sand quaterpipe, enough room to build up ramps. All this only a few miles from Newquay.)

Porthdinllaen Dunes - Bangor
    - (small sand/clay cliff drop offs on beach, one long run with a big drop off.)

Rhosnigor Dunes - Abberfraw - Anglesey

Braunton Burrows - Barnstaple - North Devon
    - (Range of small drop offs, mogules and a bowl of hard packed sand. Highest Dunes in the UK)

source: www.sandboard.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Anyone into trial biking???

I've been getting into that a lot lately...

Advertisement