Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we sitting comfortably?

Options
  • 06-01-2005 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has some advice or tips on good posture whilst cycling. I do a 16 mile commute 4 times a week and have started getting a bit of lower back/right leg pain. It could be due to something else but it certainly seems to be aggravated when I cycle. And there's not too much else that I do these days that could have brought it on.

I ride a hybrid (ridgeback day 01) and have the saddle positioned such that my toes can just reach the ground when my legs are at full extension. The distance from saddle to handlebars seems a little long, that is I do feel I am stretching a little when cycling (although I was used to riding a mtb previously). What is the recommended calibration for handlebar reach? I notice that I can slide my saddle forward towards the handlebars, currently it is positioned as far back towards the rear as it can go which is the factory default. Is this sort of adjustment recommended?

I tried lowering the saddle a little (bit by bit over a couple of days) but that only seemed to make things worse.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
    -mem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Maybe strengthening the lower back is a solution to the back pain. I was reading a old copy of a cycling magazing which mentioned that the lower back is not really used while cycling so can become weak. I can look up the article if you want.

The exercise they recommend is: get on all fours (on knees and hands), lift left arm and right leg, return to all fours then live right arm and left leg. Lift them so they are horizontal. Make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Most likely you need a shorter stem so you don't have to reach so far for the bars.
    I had the same problem: it's what you get when u buy a bike that is slightly big for you. I replaced the stem with a shorter one on my MTB and don't really have this problem anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I had a similar problem before, it was left hamstring discomfort after about 3 hrs in the saddle. Twas a back problem alright. You haven't enough flexibility in your back. So the exercise Daymobrew suggests is a good one, but don't forget to do the front as well and strengthen your stomach. You can clear the prob really quickly doing these exercises but keep them up to prevent a relapse.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4 Kid Glove

A simple change you can make straight away is to move your saddle forward. It should generally be centred on the saddle rails - not all the way back. This might help a little. If you're still too stretched out you could consider changing your stem as mentioned above.

Also, for the saddle height: you should base this on whatever is comfortable but the general rule is to have it so your leg is fully straightened when your heel is on the pedal. This will give you a slight bend in your knee when on the ball of your foot. Whether you can touch the ground or not isn't too important.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Call into local bike shop (with bike) and ask their advice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭memorex

Thanks for the tips - I've adjusted the overall geometry of the bike and will see how that goes. Cheers, Mem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Hi memorex,
    Like he said - move the saddle forward to a more central position.
    Can you raise the handlebars a bit? Or are all the spacers already underneath the stem?
    Like he said-do some simple lower back exercises and ab crunches too, while you are on the floor, try some hamstring stretches. Do you find them to be tight? One leg tighter than the other? Ham stretches are my personal hell.
    I had the opposite prob to uberwolf, hams were causing lower back discomfort on one side only. Also less flexibility in left ankle/foot meant left leg was being pulled, for want of a better word. (I had always set the seat post height by using the right leg to guage a correct setup.).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rules of thumb that worked for me.

put the cranks in line with the down tube - so pedal is just in front of it's lowest position. The distance along the tube should be 1.09 times your inside leg measurement (crotch to floor in stockings) once measured it for the laugh - it was within 5mm of my preferred height

saddle position - sit on the bike - pedal in the 3 o'clock position - as far forward as it will go, your knee should be directly above the bottom bracket axel , slightly ahead for power, like sprinting and slightly behind for touring.

now stand beside the bike and put your elbow on the nose of the saddle , your finger tips should just touch the handlebars

[edit]oh yeah your saddle should have the nose slightly lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭memorex

Thanks for the info capt'n midnight. I reckon I have the seat set up correctly, although I haven't used the measuring tape. However the handlebar to saddle distance is a good bit off. When I placed my elbow on the nose of the saddle I can just about touch the edge of the stem with my fingers. The handlebars are a good 8-10 inches further. I think this is where the problem is, there is a really long stretch to the 'bars.

I guess this is standard on hybrid/road bikes? You can see the sort of geometry the bike has here (http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bikes/geo.asp?bikeID=115) or pdf here (http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bikes/pdfs/day_01_05.pdf).

Having tried out a number of different tactics I am coming to the conclusion that the geometry just doesn't suit me. And it is that which is (really) aggravating a back problem.

I am thinking that I could possibly change the stem for a shorter one. But on the other hand I could just sell the bike and try and find a bike that fits me better.

Cheers,
    -mem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mr.Tuttlinghorn

If your back is still in bits then you could consider adopting the posture of a dutch lady with some curved back handlebars - kind of like the ones you got on the old high nellies, the handles are 'almost' parallel to the crossbar, so your hands are closer back to the saddle.
    Commuting Solutions in Rathmines can source them for you, makes a huge difference to posture and wasnt too pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

get a racer! they are the whinn says me

Advertisement