Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voda 3G disconnections

Options
  • 06-01-2005 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

Hi, posted on this before on a 6630 thread, it it happening with others using the Moto V980 or SE V800?

1) Active 3G data session
    2) 3G coverage lost, graceful fall back to 2.5G data session
    3) 3G coverage re-established, data session is disconnected
    4) To use a data service again requires initiating a new connection, until the next cycle of the above

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Do you mean when using Live?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi - no not just Live! - for any (packet) data connection...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I assume he is not talking about live, as most phones restablish a connection behind the scenes. You dont notice in between clicking on links that the thing has actually closed one connection and started another.

However the ISP type APNs are different as you do notice any disconnect. There is no automatic step up from 2G to 3G for either voice or data but as you have seen you do get automatic handover the other direction. It seems to me a handset problem where it is dropping the 2G data session when it finds a 3G signal - which it should not do. Using the old Z100s I have never had it do this and for a long time the 3G signal where I lived was bad enough to get a handover. I had to choose to kill the connection to restablish a 3G one! I've not seen it do it on the V980 either but I dont think I've used a data session with that in bad 3G signal areas. I'll let you know if I can get it to do it.

in regards to a Live! session that disconnects using the built in 6630 browser you get prompted to reconnect by default...

nokia_6630_wap_reconnect_devices.ie.jpg

where you really notice this 3G -> 2G -> 3G disconnect issue is while downloading any 3G content (e.g. Sky News video clip) when it fails you have to start the download again once the handset has taken it's time to settle down again

interesting to note that the point of "purchase" is when you initiate the download... so if the download fails due a disconnection the account details still show up as a purchase having taken place... earlier in December when the content wasn't billed as 'Free' such download failures were all coming up as charged items... (these have now been zero rated for me, at least, after some lengthy phone calls)

with an ISP connection failure the email client on the handset doesn't realise a data session disconnect has taken place and hangs with the mail accounts open, it can't gracefully disconnect them either so you have to take some time to force it to close - while using the handset with a laptop an unreliable connection causes issues having to re-connect the data session and any apps that were trying to use it before the disconnect took place

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

On a slight side track I have a 6630 on 3G in Galway. Where I work seems to be on the edge of the 3G network and now over the last 2-3 days I have no coverage and have missed a lot of calls as a result. The phone does not seem to switch to the 2G network even though when I try to dial it tells me I have no network coverage. I try to manually switch to the 2G network but it won't do that either!.
    Has anyone else got experience of this.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

At the moment the move from 3G to 2.5G is not great i would say 25% of the time if you ring my mobile you will get my voicemail as it is clicking between coverage, now when 3G works it is great but there is still a lot of work to do by Vodafone when it is moving between the two networks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I have expierenced all the problems with the failure to switch from 3 to 2 G
    It does bug me as i am left out of coverage when it won't switch properly.
    and for getting charged twice I must check out my bill cause i have a fear it might have happened to me too.

Anyone know when the 3G area will be expanded? cause I work in swords which seems to be on the edge of the area and am having all the above prolbems there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

in regards to a Live! session that disconnects using the built in 6630 browser you get prompted to reconnect by default...

That's a bummer as the Z100 didn't. Not sure about the v980, dont think it prompts you either.

The video downloads are a pain when they fail but the system should be clever enough to let you down load it again for free in X amount of time after you initially "purchase". That's the theory anyway and if you do get charged multiple then report it as its not meant to happen!

As for 3G incoming calls going to voicemail and not the phone, I dont think that is network handover related as I get that in perfect 3G coverage from time to time... There are still 3G issues that need to be sorted! And hopefully quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I wonder what compensation we could get from vodafone for supporting "latest technology" and ending up with basic functions like handling calls performing worse than our old phones. I think its rediculous to expect people to pay for line rental and in some cases 3G packages and then not have the infrastructure or support upto scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I drive around the country and my v980 switches between 3g and gprs with no problems, never missed a call yet

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement

After numerous calls and trying loads of thing, VF finally suggested that I used a 2.5G sim card instead of a 3G one. Since I cant make or receive calls or even send sms whenever I am work, I decided to revert back to 2.5G at the moment. Whats the point of having 3G when its useless to me at work.

tcob1 wrote:
    I drive around the country and my v980 switches between 3g and gprs with no problems, never missed a call yet

hi, do you maintain an active data connection during all these switches (and if so, what accesspoints: isp/live/office)?

hi, do you maintain an active data connection during all these switches (and if so, what accesspoints: isp/live/office)?

Dunno, maybe I am just lucky, I have moved from 3g to gprs using Live! and browsing further a field and kept it up for ages, in fact I drove from Galway to Limerick playing various online games

thanks - do you know if the v980 defaults to re-connect without a prompt?

It seems to. I have never been asked for a reconnect. I will try this week and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The 6630 will handover from and UMTS to GPRS cell without any interuption. You do need to reconnect when going from GPRS to UMTS however..

Maybe that is why I keep the connection but saying that I have never tried going from gprs to 3g so I can see what will happen

Now even with a 2.5G sim card, I cant seem to get any network connection. This sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 DaveK

I experimented with downloading videos from Vodafone Live to my V800 on the DART, knowing that I'd move into and out of 3G coverage. The download started in 3G coverage and then switched seamlessly to 2.5G; when I moved back into 3G coverage, the download continued at 2.5G speed. I also noticed once when I had a Vodafone Live menu open without any data transfer taking place that moving from 2.5G coverage to 3G coverage caused the phone to prompt me to reconnect.

came across this on the allaboutsymbian.com forums - as the Vodafone branded 6630 doesn't provide the relevant menu to change network connectivity preferences from the default Dual Mode (GSM/WCDMA) - this little app can set Dual Mode (GSM/WCDMA), GSM Only or WCDMA Only... managed to hold a 3G connection travelling home for the first time ever this evening and it's still holding on... provided for informational purposes only so anyone using this 3rd party application does so entirely at their own risk....

http://www.symbian-freak.com/quides/netmon.htm
    Ref: Detailed description of changing network protocol (end of page)

• Advertisement

Sorry about the delay :)

Anyway, I travelled from just outside Oranmore into Galway one day this week and had a session that started as 2g and itttttt switched automatically to 3g and I switched from 3g to 2g and back to 3g a few times without losing or restartingmy live! and wap session, was i banking at the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Hi,
    I've got one of these nokia 6630 video phones, But yesterday it gave me a string of problems, One of them that it kept disconnecting from pocket data -Agile Messanger etc etc, Eventhough it was it full 3g coverage.

I was waiting for someone in a hair - salon at the time of it going mad, I was just thinking could it have picked of a krap load of static or other interferience, from a sunbed or other cancer giving dangerous items...LOL.

Then if thats not enough i made a call and the minute i came of the phone, I was left with a killer headache that i still have today, Something i never experienced before from using the mobile...

Digiking

Advertisement