Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year round CTYI?

Options
  • 06-01-2005 3:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

What do people think? Maybe there has been a thread about this before, I don't know. If there has, maybe someone could post a link to it? I just thought I'd throw out the idea. Is this just a pipe dream or would others like to see it too??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

The idea of it is nice, but it'd get a bit much. I love CTYI, I really do, but it being for such a short time is what makes it so special, in my opinion. If it was all year round, we'd have nothing to look forward to in the summer....except holidays obviously, but y'know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There was. Repeatedly. Pretty much every year.

Oh, and they do have year round CTYI. It's called college

yes, but the novelty of college will wear off, with all the essays and whatnot, so there's my point proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

yes, but the novelty of college will wear off, with all the essays and whatnot,

true. essays are a pain in the ass. especially ethics and law..but they only take a week max. if u work at it. unless it's like Ph.D. or something...

but the novelty of college does not wear off easily, especially if u get residential halls. it's can be the same as CTYI, depending on the course u do. hte only difference is....no lights out, u can skip lectures, far more freedom. oh yeh. MUCH LONGER.
    so there's my point proven
    pssh

well, I dont think if I do medicine in college, that it'd fell like CTYI. I wouldn't skip lectures I need to go to, and it's a very long time in college. I'm saying, too much CTYI would be overkill, as much as I love it.

• Advertisement

how'd u know i do medicine? hmm..
    well yes, it is a long time here, but it's worth it. really amazing course. u see patients every thursday on hospital days. usually. great social events for medics. and most medic students are like CTYIers. just some are a little less........odd....like us.

no, I didn't actually know that. It's what I want to do!
    It definitely does seem worth it. Just I have to hope to get the points I need.

me thinks this should go to PM's. but mih...

the point system is a wanksta. i got out of that race by coming here to london. but that requires interviews, and Aptitude tests (which we're all we able for). i encourage thee, come..

Cool. *goes immediately to London*. *realises still has 1.5 years of school left.* *goes back home*

sounds like a good idea.

1 1/2 years?
    how young are u ppl? nevermind..forgot what ctyi age generally is/was...
    but do look at it...it's defo worth it. for medicine UCL is the best atm. new hospital opens in 3 months...should be sweet to work there...

yeh...ctyi is a good idea...but to get the numbers for such a place, either the fees will be high, or the cut off point will be reduced considerably..
    i don't mean to sound elite-ist.

• Advertisement

just gone 16.

the fees would be astronomical for all year round ctyi, and yes, it would be more restricted in the numbers sense.

And would, of course, breed even more elitism than the 3 week CTYI does. This thread hurts my brain, I'm going to bed.

actually i meant expanded numbers...cut off point as in the SAT score centile. reduced.. but that's just logistics of running an institution...a good idea and dream....
    but nevermind...

16? well...enjoy 5th year..and 6th...

and aonghus. STFU |\|()()|3

ah, see what you mean, yeah.

I'm sure I will enjoy 5th year, and 6th. Damn, it is hard to convey sarcasm over the net.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I wouldn't skip lectures I need to go to,
    You say that now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It wouldn't be the same as CTYI.
    It'd be ridiculously expensive.
    The fun would wear off.
    It wouldn't ever happen.

So yeah, pipe dream...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Spraypaint

Not cost-effective, not feasible, not justifiable, not as much of a novelty, not gonna happen.

So yeah, pipe dream...

Random fact, the phrase "pipe dream" alludes to the fantasies induced by smoking an opium pipe

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pipe+dream&r=f

You mean.. the internet would lie to me? *gasps*

I'd trust dictionary.com over urbandictionary.com tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

mmmm... pipe dream... Wasn't there a ban on 1337? I shudder to see it.

Year-long CTYI is the happiest idea ever. But it's just not feasible.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

yes, but the novelty of college will wear off, with all the essays and whatnot, so there's my point proven.

I'm looking forward to time off after this year with my nice shiney degree *hits wooden desk visciouly*.

There's only so often you can sit Leaving Cert style exams (twice yearly for four years - cept 3rd year only has 1 set of exams in DCU/my course).
    In fairness though Universities take exams far more seriously than the LC examiners etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭americanCat

as much as i would love being in CTYI forever.. i've come to the conclusion that if i did.. i would prolly ending up blowing up at someone.. unfortunately.. there is such a thing as too much of a good thing *pout* but i *do* wish that there were no such things as nevermores.. and that we could come back every summer until we're old enough to teach some classes ourselves ^_^

(then styi could take over the worrrld!!)
    excuse my delusional ranting..i'm a nevermore and i miss CTYI terribly...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

styi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

crazily enough, im listnin 2 the invisible band by travis while im typing this, and pipe dream is a song on the album...

*looks furtively over shoulder*

Raphael wrote:
    I'd trust dictionary.com over urbandictionary.com tbh
    Dictionary.com annoys me. It opens popups (and while this barely effects me with firefox, it's still a reason not to like it) and it always refreshes itself after loading so whatever I've typed into its search box gets screwed up...
    It's still unspeakably useful, though.

And it agrees with urbandictionary.com about pipe dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

I'm not terribly sure all year CTYI would be a good thing...

Firstly, the closed environment like ctyi increases tension, and emotions run very high... (Hence the people becoming more and more attached to each other, and people being extremely moody, and people moaning...etc...) these feelings all year round would lead to either emotional instability(-breakdown) or emotional closing (people would block out emotions)

Secondly, people that close for that long become extremely annoying. In the three week version, you can find new people to hang around with if you are pissed off with someone. If t'were all year round, you would run out of new people, and end up secretly hating everyone, although you probably wouldn't confront them directly (Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Loretto College Stephens Green).

Thirdly, the beauty of ctyi is that it is an unusual thing. You can afford to act differently while there, and then restore (a degree of) normality when you leave. Making it an all year thing would make it a regular thing, so you wouldn't feel that you had the freedom.

Fourthly, ctyi is what it is because everyone there is basically the same, so people act like they do. If any 'normal' (I use the term loosely) people were there, people would be embarrassed to act as they do (by enlarge), so only a few people would be 'ctyiish' and they would be branded as odd.

Befor you ask, no, I didn't do Psycology (I can't even spell it), and yes, I do want to do it in college (if I can rack up in eccess of 560 points)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

pinkpimp wrote:
    I'm not terribly sure all year CTYI would be a good thing...

Firstly, the closed environment like ctyi increases tension, and emotions run very high... (Hence the people becoming more and more attached to each other, and people being extremely moody, and people moaning...etc...) these feelings all year round would lead to either emotional instability(-breakdown) or emotional closing (people would block out emotions)

Secondly, people that close for that long become extremely annoying. In the three week version, you can find new people to hang around with if you are pissed off with someone. If t'were all year round, you would run out of new people, and end up secretly hating everyone, although you probably wouldn't confront them directly (Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Loretto College Stephens Green).

Thirdly, the beauty of ctyi is that it is an unusual thing. You can afford to act differently while there, and then restore (a degree of) normality when you leave. Making it an all year thing would make it a regular thing, so you wouldn't feel that you had the freedom.

Fourthly, ctyi is what it is because everyone there is basically the same, so people act like they do. If any 'normal' (I use the term loosely) people were there, people would be embarrassed to act as they do (by enlarge), so only a few people would be 'ctyiish' and they would be branded as odd.

So in a nutshell, all year CTYI would just end up like regular school really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Yeah, but I like long-winded explinations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Jarge!!!

Just to be contrary, I'm gonna disagree on this one. I think year long CTYI is feasible (if extremely unlikely), with a couple of minor modifications to the current program.

First of all, classes would need to change so as to provide a more balanced education (and, more importantly, to provide something that universities will recognise at the end of it all). But no one really cares about the class work anyway, it's the social aspect of CTYI everyone loves, so we'll ignore that for the time being.

Secondly, in order to avoid the emotional problems and the closed environment issue, there would need to be way more people involved, although I have heard cases of boarding schools with as few as 250 people which functioned reasonably successfully, the more the merrier.

Speaking briefly about your fourth point, I fail to see why 'normal' people would be more likely to attend a year round CTYI program than the summer courses. I would also debate that people at CTYI are 'basically the same', although I can see what you were getting at.

At this point it would also be appropriate to point out that in some schools, particularly those with small student bodies or small class groups, things can be much like CTYI - My IB class at school (21 people who i have every class with) and a school I attended in America (8 students in total) were both good examples of year round environments that had CTYI like properties (although they aren't/weren't as good as the real thing). So I guess I disagree that "Making it an all year thing would make it a regular thing, so you wouldn't feel that you had the freedom."

So in the end, what we're talking about is effectively an elitist boarding school for people who can get good SAT scores. Maybe it wouldn't be as good as summer CTYI, but it'd sure beat the hell out of school.

Any thoughts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement