Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year round CTYI?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

I really can't be bothered reading that mother of a post. Or indeed most of the rest of this thread. But on a related note, have we (the CTYIers) not previously among ourselves decided that an all-year CTYI would take away from the whole magical experience of the 2 1/2 week haven from the mundane?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yes but the point always needs to be drilled home.

Which point would that be now? that it just wouldn't be cool? or that CTYI is cosmic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Rezmuter Duane

I'll try to keep this brief...... :D

"It would detain those who didn't want to learn during school hours, accepting the fact that if one doesn't want to learn, one merely distracts others from learning

PS: In my opinion, this is not elitist and provides equal opportunities."

It does for those who wish to avail of them. To reiterate that, this education system includes work placements etc. so all have equal opportunities. If people don't, or it is elitist, please illustrate reasons why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

most of the really long post(well over half anyways) was quotes from other people, if I'm not very much mistaken.

Duane, you are being extremely elitist. End of.

CTYI is best kept as it is. year round would take away from how good it is.

• Advertisement

Aoibheann. nail. head. need i say more?

I thank you. :)

I welcome you. not sure where to, but just in general

yay, welcomedness*.

*not a real word. :)

most of the really long post(well over half anyways) was quotes from other people, if I'm not very much mistaken
    On this occasion you are mistaken, as the ratio of my contributions to quotes is approximately 8:5.
    Duane, you are being extremely elitist. End of.
    If so, then back up your statements. The system above allows equality for all, and if you can point to an area where it doesn't, then please tell me.
    CTYI is best kept as it is. year round would take away from how good it is.
    Well then, don't go except for the three weeks in the summer then. Anyway, as mentioned above, this system is seperate from a year round CTYI.
    Aoibheann. nail. head. need i say more?
    If you want to intelligently critique it, then yes. For the reasons stated above, and for the lack of clear criticisms, the nail was quite clearly, not hit on the head. (Maybe it hit something else................) ;)

• Advertisement

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this extremely boring.
    Duane, your elitist little plans will not work because the idea is just not feasible.

If you worked out the ratio of quotes:response.....my god is that sad.
    I need not back up claims I've backed up in previous conversations with you.
    and if the system was seperate, then why the hell is it on the CTYI forum? go to the education forum or whatev.

Duane stop being a git. I'm sorry, but you've gone completely off the wall with this, and are now attacking me for complimenting Aoibheann's arguing skills. The nail was clearly hit on the head. numerous times, over the years. You are a newbie, you just haven't figured out yet that CTYI is wonderful, for short periods of time. Longer ones would destroy it. We are all intelligent here. The fact that we can call ourselves CTYIers shows that. So logically, any criticism made by any of us would by an intelligent one. Just cuz we don't go around with our heads in the clouds doesn't mean we're not as smart as you. You are being horribly elitist, and frankly probably have WAY too much free time. Now I'm tired and frankly pissed off. Goodnight

Post deleted - misinformed poster

Just thought I'd include this:
    Just having a read - pardon me if I'm stepping on toes but it seems to me that this place rocks hard for the folk who've been.

And fair play. These sorts of thing should be more popular and nationwide - I'm reading tales of shy but smart kids (heh says the 23 year old aul-fella) being transformed into the life and soul of the party - I've even met the mods face to face and big hugs all round (although I think Adam was only giving me one cause Rob did first, but you're cuter Adam *wink*). Nutters is the word that comes to mind (my kinda folk)

Anyway, my post doesn't really have any point, but I just wanted to say "Fair Play!" CTYI - it seems to have had the impact one some of you that college had on me.

And this comes from a non-CTYIer.

Just to make a few things clear. I never said, or implied that I was better than anyone and have no intention to.
    The fact that we can call ourselves CTYIers shows that. So logically, any criticism made by any of us would by an intelligent one
    And that isn't elitist, saying that any criticism made by a CTYIer is intelligent???? We can be wrong as well, just like everyone else. (Although, I will concede less frequently)
    and frankly probably have WAY too much free time.
    I will thank you to keep your insults to yourself.

Also, as stated, if you disagree just go for the three weeks in the summer. After all, people have the right to choice.

If you actually read my posts, you would see that it is a fair and equal (not elitist) system for all. And just a sidenote, it couldn't be worse than the normal system, could it?
    Duane, your elitist little plans will not work because the idea is just not feasible.
    To be quite honest, I find that quite patronising.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this extremely boring.
    Then don't bother reading it. This is a discussion forum, if you have no interest in this particular thread, then don't post on this particular thread.
    and if the system was seperate, then why the hell is it on the CTYI forum? go to the education forum or whatev.
    Because, as was aptly put by someone else, this forum is not to disuuss CTYI only, it is so that people can discuss things with other CTYIers.
    If you worked out the ratio of quotes:response.....my god is that sad.
    However, you are the one who invented your own statistics to try and discredit my ideas instead. Call it what you will, I don't really care.

And yet again, I find that nobody has as yet put forward a single shred of evidence that I am elitist.

Oh, and before I forget, this:
    (Maybe it hit something else................)
    was merely a joke, not an insult and if interpreted as so, I apologise unreservedly.

proof of your elitism: you want to separate the so called more intelligent people from others. Even if the other people want an equally good education, you dont think they should be a part of it. I've mentioned this all throughout, and it is proof as far as I'm concerned. If you dont think so, meh. You dont think anything you say is elitist, when most of your comments are very much so.

I never said, or implied that I was better than anyone and have no intention to.
    That doesn't mean that you don't think it anyway
    And that isn't elitist, saying that any criticism made by a CTYIer is intelligent????
    I never claimed i wasn't elitist, but let the people decide - who's the one trying to pretty much imprison people who don't enjoy learning so as to favour more academically minded people? (my take on an earlier post of yours)
    I will thank you to keep your insults to yourself.

Thank me to do what you like, doesn't mean i will. And it wasn't an insult - it was true
    If you actually read my posts, you would see that it is a fair and equal (not elitist) system for all.

I did read them. And as for it not being elitist - pah!

To be quite honest, I find that quite patronising.
    Good.
    And yet again, I find that nobody has as yet put forward a single shred of evidence that I am elitist.
    That would be because it appears you have a *ahem* skill of waffling for pages about something so your ideas are clear, but at the same time, the reader simply can't be bothered going through it again to show you how you're elitist. Remember, the idea of a forum is that it's what other people interpret what you've said that matters.

*applause*

encore, encore. post of the year? (tis only january, but meh... :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Spraypaint

In conclusion: Aoibheann and Plunky: Right and winning(there's 2 things I thought I'd never say about Aoibheann)
    Duane: Discredited but going down swinging.Should really just concede defeat.

All three should calm down and stop bickering. It's only a matter of time before Podge and/or Neil step in.

P.S. I only posted that huge one a few days ago because I had a half day from school, a free house, several friends too hungover to do anything and an hour to kill.

I did read them. And as for it not being elitist - pah!
    You said yourself that you didn't.
    I really can't be bothered reading that mother of a post.
    Thank me to do what you like, doesn't mean i will. And it wasn't an insult - it was true
    I doubt you know who I am, or anything about my life for that matter.

Moves on to political discussion forum, where people actually respect other peoples opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Moves on to political discussion forum, where people actually respect other peoples opinions.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Coz we're all a bunch of self centered arrogant pricks over here who are so close minded we dont even consider that other people might differ in opinion and we'll never, EVER, accept that we may be wrong in the slightest

Oh hang on, THATS YOU!!!!!

Spraypaint wrote:
    In conclusion: Aoibheann and Plunky: Right and winning(there's 2 things I thought I'd never say about Aoibheann)
    Duane: Discredited but going down swinging.Should really just concede defeat.

All three should calm down and stop bickering. It's only a matter of time before Podge and/or Neil step in.

P.S. I only posted that huge one a few days ago because I had a half day from school, a free house, several friends too hungover to do anything and an hour to kill.

No, I've been right before, not my fault that people didnt agree with me! :)

I'm very calm, as I was yesterday. The only thing disrupting my calmness is the hysterical laughter at this thread. :p

ColHol wrote:
    Coz we're all a bunch of self centered arrogant pricks over here who are so close minded we dont even consider that other people might differ in opinion and we'll never, EVER, accept that we may be wrong in the slightest

Oh hang on, THATS YOU!!!!!

*applause*

don't often say this: but I agree with you. well said. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Thunderdome or locked, I don't care just MAKE IT STOP!

An interesting observation, that one person made is that average students often feel pressured to do well in a class, when people are more apt at it. The stress that this can cause prevents them from doing as well as they should and as so the circle continues.
    Even if the other people want an equally good education, you dont think they should be a part of it.

As I said at the outset, people with different skills and abilities learn in different ways. The objective is to provide the best system for all, which will mean that student choice shall become paramount, if you prefer the old system, where the less intelligent remain so, and the more intelligent don't get support to learn. Studies from many venerable institutions recognise that people of varying intellect, learn in different ways.
    Duane: Discredited but going down swinging.
    That is your opinion, and I respect it. As to going down swinging, I just want to note, I bear no personal animous towards either Aoibheann or Plunky, but would just like for Plunky to refrain from insulting me. eg.
    You are being horribly elitist, and frankly probably have WAY too much free time.
    You are a newbie
    For the record, I've been going since I was 9/10 (Not certain but it was Junior) and I am now 16. That makes 6/7 years, so I am not a "newbie".

Just thought I'd note this fact, most non-CTYIers actually find the system fair and equitable, even more to the point, not one of them even mentioned elitism. Maybe it is that as CTYIers, we are too touchy on the word elitism, after all, you dont want to be isolated in school for being "different".

That is what I like about the system, it allows all to choose what they want to learn, and to learn it. It realises that there are many different qualities in students, not just the academic ones which the Leaving Cert recognises, but creative skills, technical skills, hands on skills etc., which are just as good, vital and essential, and for the first time in Ireland, places them on a par with the academic ones.

if it's going to the political forum, why keep posting here?

none of us care, so what's the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Damn,. neil and podge have exams at the moment. So no moderation for a while

Don't worry Raphael, this thread won't need locking. I just won't post on it. That'll solve the problem. Y'all can find someone else to insult. (Noting that some of ye are actually decent and didn't try to insult me)

Ah now, munchkin CTYI doesn't count! I'll refrain from calling you an elitist if you stop being one - fair? i think SO! And in fairness, when I said I couldn't be bothered, i didn't read it. I then read it later on in the night, when i felt i needed to go to sleep - helped out a lot, thanks!
    neil and podge have exams at the moment
    First years have exams in comp. sci.!? Damn that's gotta suck!

I just won't post on it. That'll solve the problem.
    Yes, yes it will.
    p.s. thank you for stopping posting, I would have given up soon enough anyway, but still.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Plunky wrote:
    First years have exams in comp. sci.!? Damn that's gotta suck!

You could've kindly edited my name out of that...

That or I correct thee.

*"Final years have exams in comp. app.!? ..."

Any so on.

This thread bores. Me. Get a room, seriously. Chatroom, bedroom, hotel room. Frankly I don't care. Just far away from me/anywhere I care about.

You all suck*. :)

As far as I know Neil doesn't have exams but I could be wrong on that.

*Take it as a joke or you really do suck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement