Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver - Filesharing Problems...

Options
  • 06-01-2005 4:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

HI. Don't know if this is the appropriate area to post this but here goes anyway! Anyone else experiencing problems with eMule, Bittorrent or eDonkey? I can leave my computer connected for days with absolutely no problems. Start up the aforementioned progs though and after a while the connection registers zero bytes being uploaded or downloaded. Close the connection, re-connect and all is fine again for a varying amount of time. It's driving me nuts! I still manage to d/l stuff but not without this dis-connecting, re-connecting routine and the constant monitoring of things that is required. Is UTV deliberately doing this as a 'dis-incentive' or am I just paranoid? One other filesharing prog (still) works perfectly & the problem occurs with Win98, Win2k & winXP. While writing this with Bittorrent running I've had to dis-connect, re-connect twice... HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved to Net/Comms ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Have you a firewall ?!? if so id be looking there for the answer to your problem. Do a complete uninstall and see if that helps then install again if it works fine without the firewall. Cant think of any other reason that would cause a problem like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭omelette

Hi. Yes I use Zonealarm but the problem persists whether or not it's running. I think I'll uninstall it completely just in case it is the problem - these programs worked fine with it in the past though and WinMX works perfectly with it running. It's actually kinda comforting to think it's just a problem with my setup, rather than than ITV filtering content............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Don't know about eMule or Edonkey, but you need to limit your upload bandwidth with BitTorrent, otherwise your upload gets swamped, which then prevents your download packets from being acknowledged, so that dries up too.

How you limit your upload will depend on the BT client you're using. From my experience, UTV are definitely not blocking torrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I had the same problem it was to do with the connection timming out though you could check this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

AFAIK Zonealarm will not work with Bittorrent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I'm with UTV - bog standard package and my torrents are working flawlessly. The problem seems to be your computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Come to think of it tomk made a good point you have to limit your upload in emule or your just be uploading and max your connection out. If its zone alarm your using then uninstall it its a terrible program id rather just use the microsoft firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Try using a router instead of the USB modem if you're not already; it used to drive my laptop crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

AFAIK Zonealarm will not work with Bittorrent!

Not true, it works perfectly.
    If its zone alarm your using then uninstall it its a terrible program

Hmm. Version 4 is ok. There was a problem with early versions of 5 but the latest incarnation is great. I've used it for years without any problems. As for using Windows Firewall instead....ok I haven't time to list the reasons why this would be lunacy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement