Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to use Clicksilver upstairs

• 06-01-2005 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I recently got connected to Clicksilver and for the moment have to connect to the net in the kitchen [need an extension lead/ethernet cable] I also have a phoneline in another bedroom but I still need a longer cable.

At the moment I have my ethernet cable attached to my PC & router and I'm using the lead that came with the kit to plug into the splitter.

I was told I need a long ethernet cable to plug into my splitter but if I do this what will I plug it into and what will I do with the one going from the router to PC?

Prolly a basic question but I'd appreciate any help thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Why not leave the ethernet cable as is and just purchase a long phone line extension? i've always used one and connection speed is no different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Swain

I thought that would degrade the line? at least the old extension lead would. So a normal J11 would do the trick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I've got a 50ft reel of phone cable that's connecting my modem/router to the wall. No noticable speed difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Limey

In the meantime the girlfriend bought the ethernet cable but the connector is too big to fit into the splitter, and I don't know what way it should be setup, do I need an adapter?

Sorry for the newbie questions, just I'm new to dis:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

A wireless modem would solve your problems. Saves the messy wires as well but requires a bit of money. (140 euro for a card and router although routers with LAN imput can be plugged into nearly any ISP provided modem).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

Limey wrote:
    In the meantime the girlfriend bought the ethernet cable but the connector is too big to fit into the splitter, and I don't know what way it should be setup, do I need an adapter?

if i understand what you are saying,

an ethernet cable is an rj45 connection while a regular phone cable is rj11 the splitter takes rj11 so the ethernet cable will not fit into it.

Now you have two options..

1) buy a wireless router, plug the dsl modem into the phone socket via the splitter as you have now then plug the modem into the wireless router and purchase a wireless card for your pc upstairs.

2) install a new telephone socket upstairs, search on the net for instructions on how to do this or pm me and then plug the modem into the new socket via and the spliter and then the pc into the modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Limey wrote:

Sorry for the newbie questions, just I'm new to dis:)

The ethernet cable (RJ45) connects the actual PC to the modem mate. The regular phone cable (RJ11) is what connects the modem to the actual phoneline.
    Unless your actual pc is several years old it should have an ethernet port at the back. Although I can't be certain an ethernet port should be on the modem too. Thats the way you should be set up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Infini wrote:
    The ethernet cable (RJ45) connects the actual PC to the modem mate. The regular phone cable (RJ11) is what connects the modem to the actual phoneline.
    Unless your actual pc is several years old it should have an ethernet port at the back. Although I can't be certain an ethernet port should be on the modem too. Thats the way you should be set up.

Dont UTV only supply a USB modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Stark

yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Limey

dub45 wrote:
    Dont UTV only supply a USB modem?

I got both with Clicksilver Plus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement