Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's superior broadband

• 06-01-2005 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

I just sent Eircom an email telling that I was considering getting broadband and asked them to list the reasons why their service was superior to NTL's, Irish Broadband's, UTV Internet's, IOL's and Digiweb's.
    Looking forward to their reply I must say :D
    Will post it when I receive it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

zzz If I recieved that mail at my desk today I would laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

nice one, I could use a good laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

I am MAN wrote:
    zzz If I recieved that mail at my desk today I would laugh.
    I will follow it up if I don't receive a reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

im 99% sure youll get a standard list of eircoms features.
    usual stuff of experience , long running, free trial etc.
    its unlikely theyll compare themselves to any competitiors in an email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Why don't you go the whole hog and invite all relevant parties to tender for the provision of broadband to your house ?

Nothing like an RFQ to get the blood going, their sales people would love it - honest :)

• Advertisement

fenris wrote:
    Why don't you go the whole hog and invite all relevant parties to tender for the provision of broadband to your house ?
    Now why didn't I think of that :D
    I'm not really expecting a decent reply but I'm gonna keep hassling them, (sure what else would I be doing with myself in work) :p

You speak like it will actually bother someone quite possibley hungover on a Thursday morning who will just list the packages and features.

I am MAN wrote:
    You speak like it will actually bother someone quite possibley hungover on a Thursday morning who will just list the packages and features.
    I'm not bothered, just interested to see can they actually find one good reason why their Broadband is better than anyone else's, cause I can't.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Eircoms broadband may not be the cheapest but apart from NTL is the best for pings and reliability and they dont charge for going over there cap, it really is a great product, the only thing that lets it down is the lack of higher speeds at sensible prices

TCP/IP wrote:
    Eircoms broadband may not be the cheapest but apart from NTL is the best for pings and reliability and they dont charge for going over there cap, it really is a great product, the only thing that lets it down is the lack of higher speeds at sensible prices
    That's all well and good but I'd be interested to see how they back that up.

• Advertisement

Yeah I wouldnt switch from my eircom broadband either.

Fletch if you already know the answer to your question or believe to know it why bother?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Its not a case of them backing it up its a case of exisitng users backing it up, its very simply if you can get NTL get it if you cant get Eircom - easy really

So did you get a reply?

I am MAN wrote:
    So did you get a reply?
    Not yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

TCP/IP wrote:

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I had a terrible time trying to get broadband off them and I'm not particularly happy with the price of it i think it could be cheaper but I have to say its been quite good for me so far. Never any downtime and very good pings :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

It's a bit expensive and it has a 4GB cap but I'm getting 40-80 pings on HL2DM on english servers, which I'm fairly happy with. Had a little bit of bother getting it up and running though as they enabled it on the wrong line first, but they got it sorted quickly enough in fairness to them. Although alot of other people say they have nightmare experiences with them.

I dont understand why people need these massive caps :)

Look at it from a legal providers view if you werent downloading illegal stuff as in dvxs,mp3s,apps etc there is no way you would need more than 4-8gig cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Baud

I dont understand why people need these massive caps

Yeah.. I mean, who would need bandwidth. It's not like I downloaded a FC3 DVD the other day, or installed HL2 from steam. Or even that I would listen to internet radio for ages.

We should all be on products with a 4G cap, that cut us off once we went over it.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'd laugh my ass off if they could find loads of reasons that bests NTL's offer. :D

• Advertisement

Thats my personal view and a large percentage of people I would imagine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

I do download legal stuff but realistically the majority of people dont pay for mp3s off the net

Anyway no more comments about what I said it was off topic and I can see a potential roasting evolving :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i wud never switch from eircom broadband unless something great and unsuspecting arrives around the corner but since i live in the country i cant see that happening.. no ntl for me ever not in the countryside:( eircom may be expensive but you get what you pay for...only two issues i have with them is the interleaving and the caps.

Keep praying for a BB miracle. You might just get one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

i get good pings with eircom wouldn't change been with them ages now was one of their first bb customers on the exchange

Pinging boards.ie [82.195.131.130] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.130:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 25ms, Average = 23ms

zap wrote:
    i get good pings with eircom wouldn't change been with them ages now was one of their first bb customers on the exchange

Pinging boards.ie [82.195.131.130] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.130: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.130:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 25ms, Average = 23ms

I get an average of 37 on NTL with no loss. Ain't perfect but is more than good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

True - lots of heavy Downloaders are legit....Question - would you pay extra for an uncapped service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Or you could look at it the other way crawler and ask if people would pay less for a capped service :)

• Advertisement

Finally got a reply but only after a follow-up email, they ignored the 1st one because they replied to the follow-up mail.....here's what they had to say :rolleyes:
    You can get information through our website www.eircom.net/products on our broadband products, we do not comment on packages offered by other providers.

Regards
    Eircomnet sales

Advertisement