Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's superior broadband

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

All a big anti-climax in the end :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Swifty wrote:
    It's a bit expensive and it has a 4GB cap but I'm getting 40-80 pings on HL2DM on english servers,

I'm on Esat and I get an average of about 50ms from English servers. I haven't heard of anyone being charged by Esat for going over the cap and in the last 2 months since I get BB there hasn't been any downtime. There is no good reason to go with Eircom BB.

I just pinged boards .ie with "ping boards.ie -t". I left it run for about a minute:

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 74, Received = 74, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 25ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

IOLBB is actually slightly more expensive than eircom at the moment (caps excluded)

Eircom = (10 * 40) + 0 = 400 (no connection fee)
    IOLBB = (8*40) + (99) = 419 (99 euro connection fee)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I'm on Esat and I get an average of about 50ms from English servers. I haven't heard of anyone being charged by Esat for going over the cap and in the last 2 months since I get BB there hasn't been any downtime. There is no good reason to go with Eircom BB.

Just beware that Esat have the worst accounts department in the known and maybe even the unknown universe! And its been the same for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

penexpers wrote:
    IOLBB is actually slightly more expensive than eircom at the moment (caps excluded)

Eircom = (10 * 40) + 0 = 400 (no connection fee)
    IOLBB = (8*40) + (99) = 419 (99 euro connection fee)

But if you campare both their 8gb products you get:

Eircom = (10 x 55) + 0 = €550
    Esat = (80 x 40) + 90 = €410 (connection fee in €90)

• Advertisement

That's why I said caps excluded. Given that neither company is charging for going over the cap then it's kind of a non-point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

Ciaran500 wrote:
    But if you campare both their 8gb products you get:

Eircom = (10 x 55) + 0 = €550
    Esat = (80 x 40) + 90 = €410 (connection fee in €90)

And if you get one of their phone packages you don't pay the connection fee ;) . I don't know if it is official or not but I will not be paying the connection fee (so I was told) and I do save on the phone call charges too. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

penexpers wrote:
    That's why I said caps excluded. Given that neither company is charging for going over the cap then it's kind of a non-point.

would u like to see a bill for 2000 euros one of these days, because u could quite easily see one if u went several gigs over for 6 months.and they would have EVERY right to get payment and u know it :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

halkar wrote:
    And if you get one of their phone packages you don't pay the connection fee ;) . I don't know if it is official or not but I will not be paying the connection fee (so I was told) and I do save on the phone call charges too. :cool:

This sort of thing is a recipe for disaster ( just look around for other threads about what people are 'told') - if you are offered a freebie over the phone demand it in writing. when the bill comes and theres a charge on it - a phone commitment is useless.

lomb wrote:
    would u like to see a bill for 2000 euros one of these days, because u could quite easily see one if u went several gigs over for 6 months.and they would have EVERY right to get payment and u know it :rolleyes:

I won't be seeing any bills for going over the cap because I don't go over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To be honest how much does the average user actually go over their so-called cap. As it is they're pretty small so at the very least they could double them.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Pauly26

Just signed up to the 3 month free trial with Esatbt and was talking to the sales guy who told me that on the trial there is no cap, but when your contract starts and if you go over the cap they charge you 3 cent per mb, thats a bit fooking pricy if you ask me 1G over your cap would cost you over 30 yoyos

Advertisement