Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Which? survey

Options
  • 06-01-2005 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cars total depreciation (loss in value) over 3 years

I know it's UK based and the percentage of depreciation over 3 years is lower over here, but it's a good indication

Worst:

Perodua Kenari loses £5,292 or 77% of its value
    Proton Wira 1.5 Lxi - down £6,624 or 77%
    Suzuki Alto 1.1 GL - down £4,484 or 76%
    Perodua Kelisa GXi 1.0 - down £4,150 or 76%
    Hyundai Accent 1.3CDX - down £7,660 or 74%
    Kia Magentis 2.0 LE - down £6,508 or 74%
    Nissan Primera - down £11,135 or 74%

Best:

Mercedes Benz C180 SE loses £10,160 or 49% of its value
    BMW 1 Series 116i SE - down £8,495 or 49%
    Mini Cooper 1.6 - down £6,025 or 50%
    Volkswagen Beetle 1.6 - down £6,640 or 54%
    Mazda 2 1.4 Antares - down £4,910 or 55%
    Jaguar X-Type 2.0 V6 - down £11,385 or 55%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

hmm, but those percentages are based on list. i think ul find the heaviest losers are the ones with the greatest discounts when new. so the figures are skewed slightly.
    however its also true no one wants a perodua.
    alsio when new models come along the old ones lose big time.
    take a look at 99 0r 2000 prices on e classes here to see what i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel

lomb wrote:
    hmm, but those percentages are based on list

Good point! Hard to use other statistics though like price actually paid as they would be a mix of list / options / p-ex / etc. Stealers would probably not want to publicise these either

Thing I noted is that the depreciation figures are ovbiously based on estimations as the BMW 1 series is only introduced recently, no depreciation figures known yet :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also striking is the dominance of Asian cars on the 'worst' list compared to the European dominance on the 'best' list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The Best and Worst lists are always good for a giggle but I'm slow to take them seriously - for the last few years the Mini Cooper has been on the Best list and the Mini One on the Worst - and in Ireland it is even harder to compare these figures due to the low volume of cars sold vs. the price variation per car. UK magazines always have things worked to the last £ and it is nice to see your pride and joy losing you money, but best not to think about it eh...

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

unkel wrote:
    BMW 1 Series 116i SE - down £8,495 or 49%

Hmm - very speculative to put a three year depreciation figure on a car that isn't even out a year. It'll hardly be possible to properly measure the residula value until trade-ins start coming in in numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel

aodh_rua wrote:
    Hmm - very speculative to put a three year depreciation figure on a car that isn't even out a year. It'll hardly be possible to properly measure the residula value until trade-ins start coming in in numbers.

I kinda posted tha loike ;)

Advertisement