Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it game over for Gamecube?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It seems to be going the same way as the N64, with releases slowing to a tiny trickle before finally drying up. Still there's Zelda, Killer 7 and Resident Evil 4 still to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Geist looks pretty cool aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

eurogamer has an article on the games to look out for during 2005...

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57520

only thing grabbing my attention is Resi and Zelda, saying that i know ill buy far more games for my little cube cause i love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Forgot about Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat. After getting Donkey Konga w/bongo's for Christmas, I reckon I'll have to give this a go. As for Geist, things have gone very, very quiet and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets held over for the next Nintendo console.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Pitty looks like a good consol. Id actually really like one but funds are a bit too low ATM. Id def be intrested in their next consol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There will be a huge surge in Cube sales when Zelda gets released but will slow down after that. For the price the Cube is definitely the best value for money console especially since all the best stuff is on budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Seems like a great time to buy. Always wanted one. Probably be some good deals this year on all the consoles with the next generations being announced this year.

Slightly off topic

Can you still get the bundle with the Zelda Collection? (Zelda 1 & 2, OOT and Majoras Mask) I had a look around but couldn't find it. Was it a limited edition?

Never had a N64 or Gamecube and the pack would bridge the gap nicely

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was limited edition. You might still find one in lesser know game or music stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Retr0gamer wrote:
    There will be a huge surge in Cube sales when Zelda gets released but will slow down after that.
    I doubt it, anyone who wants to play Zelda would probably have a GameCube already.

Resident Evil 4 on the other hand . . .

Has anyone spotted some deals on the GameCube in Ireland? Have Argos here cut prices too?

There has always been a surge in sales when a Zelda game arrives. A lot of people sell the console after the have finished it. Bit weird really but its happened ever since OoT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It was limited edition. You might still find one in lesser know game or music stores.

Thanks, will have a look. Might be able to get a copy from some good person here on boards or Maybe a secondhand shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I remember reading this on Slashdot a while ago. (linky: http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/02/232227&from=rss). Some of the comments were quite insightfull:
    http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=134666&cid=11240957
    http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=134666&cid=11242451

So basically I'm not worried. It might actually help the gamecube. It makes it more attractive as a second console.

Just think of it this way: After christmas prices going down? Sounds like a sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Bit too low for a sale. Sounds more like a clearout of stock.

Is RES4 coming out on any other console?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

PS2 at the end of the year, AFAIK....

I noticed play.com list alot of cube bits as "sold out" and there is no restock date...

Id seriouly consider getting one for £40 (€55) but the only person I know who is back and forth to the UK is my girlfriends bro and she would hop off me if I tried to buy more techie stuff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

TmB wrote:

PS3 will be doing a number on your wallet by then but its still in the design stage at the moment. Supply wont meet demand, id reckon, if its christmas 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Has anyone spotted some deals on the GameCube in Ireland? Have Argos here cut prices too?

gamecube donkeykonga bundle is €89 in argos at the minute I think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Rew wrote:
    I noticed play.com list alot of cube bits as "sold out" and there is no restock date...

Id seriouly consider getting one for £40 (€55) but the only person I know who is back and forth to the UK is my girlfriends bro and she would hop off me if I tried to buy more techie stuff ;)

I'm over and back every week to Norwich and wherever else we play. I'm in Waterford City

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

its been looking like that its game over for nintendo since the n64 but as long as they make killer titles like zelda the fanboys will still buy the consoles myself included

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

TmB wrote:
    I think that date was set for the japan release, but maybe the port will be a quick process and it'll be out over here at the same time, but probably not. I would think we're as likely to see the new zelda here in 2005 as we are RE4 on the ps2.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Well its been loosing shelf space in the shops so its no supprise, the price drop wont help it survive but might keep it going a while longer like when they dropped the price of the nes and it seemed like everyone bought one. People will just start buying all the good games going cheep like double dash etc. but any new games will not sell much more than they already did imo. Its not the end for nintendo, if they get a new console out a good bit before the other two with some great games then they might get back into the competition and seeing as the ds is doing so well seems like they might be learning their lessons.

Might get a cube myself next time im up north assuming i can get some good games at the same time.

kensutz wrote:
    I'm over and back every week to Norwich and wherever else we play. I'm in Waterford City
    Ill keep that in mind, been looking out for a 2nd hand one as well. Depends on funds more then anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Isn't the Gamecube doing a fair bit better than the N64? Maybe I'm wrong but I certainly know many more people with Gamecubes than I did with N64's. And it seems to have a bigger catalogue of quality games too. I don't think Nintendo are going to lose that much sleep over poor sales in the UK in the last couple of months. It's hardly their biggest market and the DS launch was very successful too so I don't think they'll be going out of business any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

I think Nintendo are the great survivors of the games industry. All through the years they have survived while their competitors dropped like flies. Their game design has always been the very best; even their earlier stuff from the 80's is still very playable. For me the Nintendo ethos was always about letting people experience their games. They'll be around for some time to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Jaysus 55 euro is fantastic. I'll get one for sure now in a few months... I know if i got it now, id fail college this year thanks to wind waker.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Following on from Dempsey's original post about "Game Over for the Gamecube", nintendo have responded to the allegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

elvis2002 wrote:
    Jaysus 55 euro is fantastic. I'll get one for sure now in a few months
    The price drop is not an official Nintendo cut at all, Argos are the only the only retailer to offer it. Not only that, but when I went into to Argos yesterday, the only GameCube offer they had was the Donkey Kong/Game Cube Bundle for €90. No €55 GameCube's or €15 games for Ireland :rolleyes:

Bloody typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The price drop is not an official Nintendo cut at all, Argos are the only the only retailer to offer it. Not only that, but when I went into to Argos yesterday, the only GameCube offer they had was the Donkey Kong/Game Cube Bundle for €90. No €55 GameCube's or €15 games for Ireland :rolleyes:

Bloody typical.
    erm... do the ****ing maths man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

ha! good stupid kiddy console and yes i know people with it and barring the Res Evils its full of crap games imo ..why people get excited over Metroid prime and the vast ammounts of mario ill never know

id pay maybe £40 for it just for Res Evil but theres no other game i like so ..meh ill cope

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ViperVenoM wrote:
    why people get excited over Metroid prime ill never know
    Erm...because it's one of the best games ever made?
    *kicks ViperVenoM*

Advertisement