Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 Rifle Recommendations

Options
  • 06-01-2005 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've thinking of returning to shooting after many years absence.I'm looking for a 'hunting' rifle for plinking mostly I suppose,but would like an accurate and reliable gun.I'm completely out of touch with the 'scene'.I have owned in the past- Winchester and CZ .22LR,Sako 22 mag,Krico 22 Hornet,Remington 22-250. I particularly liked the Sako and Krico(Krico had double triggers which at the time was way cool!).Don't have a budget in mind but say for argument €1000. Would have to be 22LR or Magnum due to feeding costs!,and easily available in left hand would be nice but not essential(never had one before!)..any recommendations gratefully received....

Seven Worlds will Collide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

That budget gives you plenty of options.

Krico aren't around anymore, but Sako certainly are. Anschutz would also fit into your price range, and they make a left hand version of the 1416 model, though this is at the cheaper end of their range - still a quality rifle.

You won't go wrong with either an Anschutz or a Sako. Another option might be to buy a CZ and spend the rest on a really decent scope - Zeiss/Schmidt & Bender/Leupold etc. Money spent on a good scope is never wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thanks civdef,.....this will probably raise a few titters and sniggers but I have a scope....a Kassnar 3-9 X 40, I bought this in the late 70's,It cost £90 at the time which was a good bit more than a weeks wages for me.The little Winchester it was on cost £85 ! My peers thought I was mad,the popular 22 scopes at the time were Tasco & Weaver(?) which I think were less than £40. The Kassnar sat on every rifle I owned for the next 15 years completely dependable...so even when I sold my guns,I couldn't part with it !....so it will go on the next one !

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

I would sugest a Kimber in .22, the company produces a very fine and accurate rifle, with a agent in Ireland offering both rifles and pistols,
    _ _ ... ..._ _ ,de ei9hw

Les45-someone that speaks the same language HI ! Had at look at their web site-they look like real guns OK...........Was going to upgrade the Pro2 to Pro3 but with the sunspots going south might get more fun out of a 22 ! --... ...--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

shotting is wrong unless you intend to eat the animal, in which case its perfectly alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

shotting is wrong unless you intend to eat the animal, in which case its perfectly alright
    Or there's no animal involved, or you're controlling vermin, or any one of a dozen other reasons...

Ei2JC wrote:
    Was going to upgrade the Pro2 to Pro3 but with the sunspots going south might get more fun out of a 22 ! --... ...--
    Not exactly going to be QRP season, is it? :D
    de EI5EDB

Sparks wrote:
    Not exactly going to be QRP season, is it? :D
    de EI5EDB

Hi Sparks.........sure isn't,haven't got space for anything decent on low bands.......so its a QRP rifle instead !.........The Kimbers and the Sakos look interesting.......anything to check out in 22 mag.......or whats with 17 is there a rimfire version now ? 73 fer now

I'm not sure with the deal with the .17HMR round is 2JC, I've not seen it up close myself. Civdef might have, though. The sort of thing I'd be shooting myself, though, would be perhaps not quite the norm - I'm using an Anschutz 2013/690. Bit high-end for plinking, perhaps, though in the last few months that's all I've had time to do with .22, though I have gotten some air rifle training in with the 2002CA. And the next firearm on my must-buy list is probably going to be either an air pistol or a .22 pistol, depending on finances. (If I win the lotto, I'll get both at once :D ). And there I'm thinking more Baikal than Morini, if you follow me.

Just looked your one up,I see what you mean Ok Sparks !
    Must check out the Anshutz that civdef said was available in left-hand,would be a great novelty.Although I remember years ago trying to get a Remington 1100 shotgun in LHD,in theory no problem,in practice had to settle for right hand(wasn't a problem in use tho')

• Advertisement

The 17hmr is a very flat hard hitting round ,I have shot about 60 rounds, very impressive only problem cost of ammo, I would buy a .22 , and it is amazing how many Hams are also interested in Target Shooting

les45 wrote:
    very impressive only problem cost of ammo
    Is it that much more expensive?
    and it is amazing how many Hams are also interested in Target Shooting
    From what I remember of the statistics we gathered in the college club, over two thirds of the members came from computer science or engineering - the common feature of whose students was that they were very comfortable with "techie stuff" (ie. complex processes or equipment) and long periods of concentration on a task. Which is a pretty valid description of target shooting when you think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Quote:
    and it is amazing how many Hams are also interested in Target Shooting

From what I remember of the statistics we gathered in the college club, over two thirds of the members came from computer science or engineering - the common feature of whose students was that they were very comfortable with "techie stuff" (ie. complex processes or equipment) and long periods of concentration on a task. Which is a pretty valid description of target shooting when you think of it.

Hands up here as well .... "Computer Techie" :)

Any opinions on the CZ/Brno 22 Magnum ?

If you want to try your hand at target shooting then .22 is the way to go, if on the other hand you want to spend summer evenings shooting bunnys then the .17HMR has no equal ammo, costs equal to .22 magnum, lots of nice rifles chambered for the .17hmr,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

There is a new .17 mach2 which is based on the .22lr, the .17HMR is based on the .22mag,it is said to have a velocity of 1750 fps after 100 meters and very accurate, the price less than the .17HMR.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/17_M2.htm

........the thing is too of course you could probably buy 22LR ammo in any town or village in Ireland......I would be very interested to hear what dealers would be looking for 17 HMR........something tells me it wouild be considerably more that the price of 22 mag if past form is anything to go by....

Advertisement