Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.1 surround problem!

Options
  • 06-01-2005 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

I have a fairly new pioneer multiregion dvd player(Bought in xtravision),

A friend recently gave me a set of bose 5.1 suround speakers but the dvd player will only allow me to connect and use 2 out of the 5 speakers and the subwoofer.

The dvd player does have an optical connection but i don't know if thats of any use!

Is there any way that i can connect the surround system phono connections to a break out box which converts the analog signal to a digital optical signal?
    If so, where can i get this equipment in ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

short answer, no.
    do yo have the model names of the two systems.
    Bose are normally quite good with conectability and if the pioneer has an Opto connector (which you said it has) then use that, the opto cables are cheap enough nowadays, shouldn't be more than a tenner.
    you can get analog, digi convertors, but they are normally quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

If your bose system has an optical input then you shouldn't have a problem. Once you connect it to your DVD player, all your speakers will work throught the one optical lead. Do you have a receiver/amp for your bose system or do you just have the speakers? If you don't have a receiver/amp for your system, you can pick one up for about €100 or so that'll have a dolby digital decoder built in. Ignore the stereo output from your dvd player, seen as you have surround sound speakers you should be using your optical connection instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

The speakers don't have a digital connection! only a load of phono connections!

I don't have a receiver/amp for the system. would this give me the digital connection to connect to my dvd player?

And where can i get one if it does?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Ah well then getting an amp and a digital receiver should solve your problem. I'm not sure where to get one though. Here is a digital receiver, but its not an amp, so it won't be much good on its own.

http://ie.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=136&product=9468&nav=-1

You can get both seperately but you should be able to get both in one unit.

• Advertisement

Thanx for the help lads! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

another choice is to get a DVD player that has 'discrete outputs' (thatis : the 5.1 outputs as individual phono sockets). It might be less expensive than getting a receiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

There's a real nice Pioneer 5.1 receiver on Richersounds site for €180. All the I/O you'll need. It'll do some justice to those speakers.

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/index.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 gipo

Its obvious you need an amp. Also note that a receiver is the same as an amp only that it can receive radio stations. Dont get mixed up between a processer and a receiver. A processer just decodes surround sound ie. dolby digital, dts. A receiver decodes and amplifyies the sound.
    I bought a receiver from peats electronics, they are located beside the parnell centre in dublin.
    I would recomend you buy a receiver. Also take time before you buy and look at all the options. Some good magazines are "What hi-fi sound and vision" and "Home cinema choice", these magazines provide essential tips on setting up home cinema.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Have these speakers got a mains-lead on the subwoofer? I'm not sure the original poster is sure whether they are active or passive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 gipo

But when there is a mains lead on the sub it usually only means that the sub is active. I would guess that the sub is active and the speakers are passive. When energizer said there is phono connections does he mean that their actually for banana plugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭MunkyHed

:eek:
    You're buying amps and all sorts now and you said you couldn't afford a tenner for castlevania!!
    Lies make baby jesus cry :mad:

Advertisement